12v Power Sockets

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
My wife has an Altea XL and I find it strange that with the ignition turned off the 12 v Power sockets are not live. On my VW and I'm sure on previous SEATs the 12v remains active with the ingnition off so that you can charge a mobile phone etc.

I asked at the SEAT garage today and was told that the 12v outlets don't work with the ignition off.

Is this the case for other ALtea's

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Mine only work with the ignition on (MY08)

I had an additional one fitted below the steering column to plug my Satnav into and thats been wired so that it's always live.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Oh. No, it's on constantly :confused:

It is a MY06 model though. That's the second functional change I've read on here between the pre an post-facelifted models... I forget what the other was - possibly the false floor ??

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've always wondered whether switched or permanent sockets work best. My other half's Almera has switched sockets front and back, it's frustrating explaining to my daughter why the TV goes off when I go to fill up.

It's interesting that they're now regarded as 'power outlets', up until very recently they were 'cigarette lighters'!! :)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Hmmm not much concensus then........my wifes car is a 58 plate and seems to be like Craig Seniors car rather than the others...

Asked again when I collected the car from the dealer and they are adamant the 12v outlets should switch off when the ignition is off to preserve the battery from being drained.....who the hell runs anything on a 12v outlet that's big enough to drain the battery!

slimy said:
.....it's frustrating explaining to my daughter why the TV goes off when I go to fill up.....

Similar kinds of issue for me too, in that my 4 year old has a DVD player for long journeys and the TV would go off when stopped but more frustrating was having an electric 12v cool box (Back in the summer).....in the Passat I could leave it running for a few hours with no issues, but not in the Altea.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
There was a constant change of views with SEAT (as well as with other VAG models) throughout the modelyears concerning the 12V outlets:

afaik, they had them powered off right in the beginning (mj2004) ... then a phase of constantly connected (till ~ my2007) ... and after that the cut off again when ignition is turned off.

... btw. same with the autom. power off (approx. 30 min. after ign off) of ALL electrical consumers (e.g. interior lights) ... some modelyears have it, others don't.

greets ... Klaus