Noone sells LCR Winter Tyres?

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Looking on Kwitk-fit, Nationaltyres, Hi-Q, mytyres, blackcircles.

Can't find a single 225/40R18 winter tyre, if the winter box is ticked, no results.

Just figured as my back tyres are <3mm I may as well stick some cheap winter tyres on for a few months.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Ah cool, cheers for that :) Will stick it out til then when the snow's gone lol.

Been debating them snow socks too, but can't find any for less than around £60-70 and just not sure it's worth it.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I agree with Leigh15, speed ratings for winter tyres are much lower than summer ones. Particularly with mytyres if you put 'all' for the speed ratings you might have better luck. But if you think about it, only a fool would be going fast on road surfaces that warrant winter tyres, so the higher speed rating doesn't matter that much.

They're also a bit more common on the smaller wheels, they're not as common for the low profile 18's and up. I'm finding far more choice for my 16's than I am for the 17's.

emicen

Ah cool, cheers for that :) Will stick it out til then when the snow's gone lol.

Been debating them snow socks too, but can't find any for less than around £60-70 and just not sure it's worth it.

I bought snow socks for my 320Cd because its the MSport variant and there isnt clearance around the rear suspension to fit chains.

They're pretty good when fitted. Gave the car enough traction to pull itself about on fairly icey/polished roads.

However, or rather HOWEVER, they are a ROYAL pain in the arse to fit. Putting them on in Val D, I was in a multistorey car park and it was dry. The notion of laying them out and driving the car on to them I love. Maybe with narrow wheels, not 255 sections! Had to jack it up with the scissor jack.

Drove out the snow, had to jack it back up to get them off before the tarmac shredded them. Wet canvassy material on rubber. It was an obscene battle to get them off!

Half way to Morzine, the snow came in again and the BMW got flustered on the mild gradients the sat nav was trying to take me up. Tried putting them back on, again involving jacking the car up. Not a hope in hell that was working with them still wet.

100 mile D-tour was the end result.

So I guess the moral of the story is, if the tyres are wide and the arch clearance minimal, forget about it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.