Winter tyres

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Just read this topic from post one - the difference is astonishing. You won't go through a winter without some once you've tried them.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
well ihad my winter tyres fitted today. I was scrabbling all the way there sliding on the way down quite alot as well. on the way back with the nankang snow SV-2 i drove back at normal speeds with very very minimal scrabbling at all.

pretty impressed. seem just as good as the vredestein snowtracs ive used on the previous years, although they were on a different car

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
Had Continental winter contact TS830 tyres fitted all round yesterday, not bad at £90 a tyre - 205/55/16 - Kwik Fit actually had a set in stock! :-o

Ordered them online as they were cheaper but was a 3-day fitting time, so the guy at Kwik Fit moved the fitting day from Friday to yesterday! :funk:

The difference is night and day on the snow and ice. Do alot of miles, so the risk of an accident is always high - almost had one yesterday morning :whistle: - so that made my mind up pretty quickly!

As a test, I tried stopping quickly on a road compacted with snow and ice and was amazed at how quickly the car stopped, and how stable it was - i.e. no skidding or sliding.

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Like I said yesterday, can anyone help me confirm that these will fit my 2007 Leon FR? The Scirocco's 112x5 I'm sure. Is that all that needs to match?

http://tyremen.myshopify.com/products/volkswagen-scirocco-2008-16-grip

Looking here all is ok:

http://www.alloywheels.com/

Make : Seat
Model : Leon II
Year : 05>
PCD : 5x112
Offset : 30 to 45
Bore : 57.1
Fittings : B 14x1.5

Make : Volkswagen
Model : Scirocco 08>
Year : 08>
PCD : 5x112
Offset : 30 to 45
Bore : 57.1
Fittings : B 14x1.5

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Had Continental winter contact TS830 tyres fitted all round yesterday, not bad at £90 a tyre - 205/55/16 - Kwik Fit actually had a set in stock! :-o

Ordered them online as they were cheaper but was a 3-day fitting time, so the guy at Kwik Fit moved the fitting day from Friday to yesterday! :funk:

The difference is night and day on the snow and ice. Do alot of miles, so the risk of an accident is always high - almost had one yesterday morning :whistle: - so that made my mind up pretty quickly!

As a test, I tried stopping quickly on a road compacted with snow and ice and was amazed at how quickly the car stopped, and how stable it was - i.e. no skidding or sliding.

Another convert - good aren't they :)

Got me all the way across the Peak District today without drama, when my normal summer tyres wouldn't have even got me up our drive.

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
Just wish I'd done it last year....that's my only regret.

£360 on new tyres or £350 excess + higher insurance premium

Had a bit of TCS light flashing over the past day or two and ascending snowy slopes hasn't been quite as effortless as I remember from last year's snow, so I'm getting my part-worn front Michelins (now at 5mm and almost to the snow wear indicators) swapped for the new Conti TS830s sitting in the garage. I'll keep the Michelins as spares in case of punctures, assuming that I might have trouble quickly sourcing winters if I need a replacement.

EDIT:- The guy at the tyre fitters - Big City Tyres in Nottingham city centre who I'd recommend by the way - was impressed that I'd managed to find some winter tyres... apparently they've had trouble sourcing any from many different manufacturers. The weather has (predictably) increased demand hugely so hardly any stocks around atm...

Last edited:

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
Had a bit of TCS light flashing over the past day or two and ascending snowy slopes hasn't been quite as effortless as I remember from last year's snow, so I'm getting my part-worn front Michelins (now at 5mm and almost to the snow wear indicators) swapped for the new Conti TS830s sitting in the garage. I'll keep the Michelins as spares in case of punctures, assuming that I might have trouble quickly sourcing winters if I need a replacement.

EDIT:- The guy at the tyre fitters - Big City Tyres in Nottingham city centre who I'd recommend by the way - was impressed that I'd managed to find some winter tyres... apparently they've had trouble sourcing any from many different manufacturers. The weather has (predictably) increased demand hugely so hardly any stocks around atm...

I was amazed to get some from Kwik Fit in Cheltenham yesterday, last 4 they had. Other tyre centres said 10 to 15 days!

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
right think i'm gonna get 4winter tyre/steelies for the gf's corsa. and 2 Nankang Snow SV-2 for my front wheels and 2 Hankook W310 M+S tyre/steelie for the back wheels if they fit.

snow will probably be away by the time they get delivered from mytyres.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
We the Wintrac Extremes are proving to be great again.

If only more people had them then the roads would be a much better place. You end up having to stop on hills, get out and push the car in front to get then going, then get back in yours and drive off without drama.

Until you get bored, then you just drive past them:D

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
We the Wintrac Extremes are proving to be great again.

If only more people had them then the roads would be a much better place. You end up having to stop on hills, get out and push the car in front to get then going, then get back in yours and drive off without drama.

Until you get bored, then you just drive past them:D

I'm finding the same.
Helped quite a few people get off their drives in the past few days, & then jump into the Mondeo & sail off.

More dirty looks for me this morning from slithering 4x4s... :rolleyes:

Very pleased I swapped to the Conti TS830s yesterday as had to take an even more country back-lane route this morning and they coped admirably with about 5 inches of virgin snow. Fantastic tyres so far. :)

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
More dirty looks for me this morning from slithering 4x4s... :rolleyes:

Very pleased I swapped to the Conti TS830s yesterday as had to take an even more country back-lane route this morning and they coped admirably with about 5 inches of virgin snow. Fantastic tyres so far. :)

+1 on those tyres

Even on icy back roads and streets they grip remarkably well. They had more grip on the road to the garages behind my house than I did walking on it!