Winter tyres

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
did i hear right on the radio about some companies using them to get out paying claims etc ?

I contacted my insurance company and Adrian Flux replied saying I need to inform them that I'm using winter tyres, even though same alloy and tyre size! :confused:

Its just noted on the policy, no premium alteration.

I'm with AF, and that's all I had to do also!

You have to notify your insurer that you have put them on, especially if you down grade the speed rating one level from the car manufacturers spec, which you are allowed to do with winter tyres.
I'd imagine insurers use fitted winters as excuse not to pay out if you haven't told them they are fitted, like any modification!

Fishy

May 16, 2005
I couldnt find any info on if the original 17's would fit over cupra brakes, so as this is the first chance I've had I gave it a go.

They cleared with mm to spare, so I've moved the spacers I had on the back to the fronts and all is good.

Now to find some winter tyres. Yeah I know I'm on this a bit late, but better late than never. ;)

Fish

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm extremely happy with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's that I put on the Leon. Fantastic grip in snow.

Problem is that Leon is not a snow plough so if there is foot or more of snow on the road even best tires won't help....

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
As good as winter tyres are (ignoring Lee's vid) they can justifiably lead to over confidence. Not necessarily so much as the snow itself, but the ice as I thought it was much more of a problem around here

The untreated residential roads around here were treacherous until we had the thaw this weekend.

The winter tyres forte is the snow itself no question. In the cold weather they do feel more sure footed but I do reckon that they could bite you unexpectedly (i.e. ice where you could've been travelling at less speeds on summers).

I know its obvious and grandmother and eggs and all that, but as they do inspire such confidence, it could also be their downfall too (in an indirect fashion)

Just an opinion.

I totally agree: winter tyres can inspire a little too much confidence if you're not careful. Driving as if you were on summers and being pleasantly surprised by the grip on tap is a wise plan IMHO - you need to bear in mind why you needed the winter tyres in the first place. :)

For one thing, you don't want to lull the vehicle behind into a false sense of security or they'll be driving up your proverbial arse...

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
Here is a video showing how capable the Continental TS830s are....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lhf0kq_SUo

...and this is a video of how not to drive in snow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe55ufcg5XQ
(And yes, I know how stupid I was, lesson learned!)

quite impressed with the speed you were able to take the corners at! :clap:
i noticed you'd ploughed through a couple of small snow drifts in the first vid.....the drift in the 2nd vid didn't look that big to be fair :whistle:

Just notified my insurer about using steel wheels and winter tyres, having been meaning to get around to it for a while. :redface:
I'm with Seat Insurance now, having recently switched from Direct Line, and interestingly Seat Insurance were much more interested in my use of aftermarket wheels/tyres than Direct Line were when I called them last year.

After being put on hold for a few minutes, they said that I had indeed done the right thing to inform them of the 'change'. I didn't have to pay anything extra but they warned me that because I hadn't sourced my new wheels and tyres through SEAT, if I needed to make a claim that included the wheels/tyres, they would replace my steel wheels and winter tyres with original alloy wheels and SEAT-supplied (summer) tyres, as the car had been supplied with originally. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned - if you were using super expensive performance summer tyres and made a claim, you would expect them to replace the tyres with standard ones like you got with the car.

But if anyone is using winter wheels/tyres and hasn't yet let their insurer know, you'd be wise to give them a call as it probably won't cost anything but some of them are interested to know (and thus might try and weasel out of a claim later if you don't tell them!).

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Just contected LV re. my winter wheels and tyres - they said it wasn't something they needed to know about.

My wife's car - also fitted with steel wheels and winters is insured with swiftcover - I'll report back if they're interested or not!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Robbing barstewards are putting the price up about 10% a week. Looking at close on £200 for budget tyres now. I am getting a price from Norway and USA offices at my work as I refuse to let these people fleece me.

Robbing barstewards are putting the price up about 10% a week. Looking at close on £200 for budget tyres now. I am getting a price from Norway and USA offices at my work as I refuse to let these people fleece me.
Just looked on mytyres and the Conti TS830 (205/55 R16 91H) has gone from ~£140 this morning to £155 this afternoon - that's about 10% increase within a few hours!

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
im a bit late , but think i will await til next year now

anyone know whats the smallest wheel i can fit to the leon cupra tdi , i,e 15's

am going to source the steelies from scrappies , then get the tyres when they get back to sensible prices

as for summer tyres and no grip , the torque from the diesels dont help at all , last nite i was just spinning most of the time , and traction was hard to even kick in !!

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
im a bit late , but think i will await til next year now

anyone know whats the smallest wheel i can fit to the leon cupra tdi , i,e 15's

am going to source the steelies from scrappies , then get the tyres when they get back to sensible prices

as for summer tyres and no grip , the torque from the diesels dont help at all , last nite i was just spinning most of the time , and traction was hard to even kick in !!

The smallest wheels you'll be able to fit is 16" due to your 312mm brakes on the front. You'd probably find it easier to get a set of cheap 16" alloys which are more readily available than 16" steels in 5x100. There was a set on ebay a few days ago though so you never know.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members