Dash LCD screen backlight problem

giuseppe

Hello all,
Had my 03 Leon Cupra about five months now and i have a recurring fault that is doing my nut in!

The red backlight behind the odometer and trip computer LCD screens keeps switching off. The miles and all that are still displayed fine it is just the light that goes out. When I start the car from cold everything works great but after about 20 minutes the illumination goes out and won't come back until the car has cooled down again.

I know there are similar issues with the climate control display but I have searched everywhere and can't find anything about a fault like mine.

In desperation I took it to the dealers and the service department guy said he hadn't seen it before in eight years!

And before anyone says it I have tried the old slapping the dash technique! (it didn't work)

Anyone else had a similar problem or have any suggestions? I don't really want to have to fork out for a new set of clocks!

Cheers

KatCowie

OEM Lover
Jun 23, 2007
Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
I also seem to have this, but mine do not go out comletely. After about 20 mins driving they blink once, then fine again. I wondered if it as possibly a faulty connection or something.

G1NG3R

i have a problem that my speedo and rev counter needle seems to not light up but everything else does is this an easy fix.?? i hope so

mark smith

"take it or leave it !"
Oct 28, 2007
westbury !
i'm getting the same thing, intermitantly flickering dash back light for speedo, clock and climate display. recently replaced alternator and battery. have cleaned the earths under the battery tray, and a few inside the car. don't appear to have any other probs with running etc, just the bleedin' lights ! !

giuseppe

I still have the problem with the little screen lights but i have just learned to live with it. I spoke to an engineer in work and he says it sounds like some kind of integral thermal cut off switch to stop overheating. The local Seat garage said it might take up to eight hours for a full investigation and frankly i can do without that expense.
On the plus side it stops my neurotic mpg obsession and keeps my eyes on the road!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members