When is 2.5" too small?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I went up and spoke to Stainless Creations at lunchtime today, they can make me a full 3" system for around £450 with one large rear silencer or £500 for one with a middle silencer too - lifetime warranty too. The guy did say that over 300bhp you should be looking at a 3" system.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I think so too, problem with the Milltek system is that it is very expensive for a 70mm system (£528 inc.VAT) and I'd still have to use a step-down adapter to mate it to the 63mm pipe behind the CAT, so a very small section of the exhaust would still be 63mm.

The custom system would be a full 3" right from the turbo to the tail, with two silencers, and still cost less than the smaller Milltek which only has one silencer and smaller pipework.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Tapering the diameter does not make more power, torque, or bring on boost faster. However having smaller pipe towards the end has less effect that having smaller piping at the beginning. In other words a system that has 3" pipe for the majority, and necks down to 2.5" at the end will flow enough for more power than a complete 2.5" system. The further downstream you neck down the exhaust the better……..if you decide to neck it down."

This is exactly the principle behind fish-tail exhausts of 1940s Harleys, Indians and 750cc BMWs :) They do flow enough to avoid restriction on engine power, but taper to avoid breaking the biker's eardrums.

A cheaper alternative may be a valve opening the exhaust straight to air and they are legal at MOT time, very noisey and I should imagine illegal to use, but they have to catch you with it open maybe ;)

Just for the record, I've broken my exhaust muffler due to hitting a kerb. The pipe had broken over the rear axle, maybe 3 inch before the muffler, which had fallen down on the tarmac (held only by the rubber hanger). I've run the car for 2 days with no muffler at all before welding it back at a workshop. Up to 4000-4500 rpm, the difference in noise between muffled and unmuffled exhaust was hardly audible. I've expected a Superbike-like roar and got just a slightly louder drone and boom.

Exhaust was stock, with stock catalyst, stock resonator, and a fabricated 3" downpipe.

The muffler could have just been replaced with a straight pipe and there would have been only a slight difference.

~Nautilus

PS Hardened also the two rubber hangers to raise the muffler 2-3 cm upwards. The front hanger got doubled by slipping a rubber-ring (from a Renault muffler hanger) over it, the rear Y-shaped hanger got bandaged with many plastic zip-ties over the arms of the "Y". Before, a hand push bounced the muffler up and down a few centimeters. Now they hardly move, regardless how strong is the push.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I now have a full 3" exhaust system with two silencers, a small centre one and a larger rear - not tweaked, flattened or reduced anywhere ... definately an improvement over the 2.5" system right through the rev range, coming on boost, part throttle, top end are all improved.

h7 cya

Jun 3, 2009
I now have a full 3" exhaust system with two silencers, a small centre one and a larger rear - not tweaked, flattened or reduced anywhere ... definately an improvement over the 2.5" system right through the rev range, coming on boost, part throttle, top end are all improved.

Hoe does it compare noise wise to the old system?

h7 cya

Jun 3, 2009
Oh that's good. Going to get a full custom turbo back system in the new year, think i will go 2 silencers too. Dont really want it too loud.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Would definately be loud with only one silencer. My exhaust builder also had the rear silencer made so the pipe ran through it at an angle, he said something about sound travelling in straight lines so this would help silence it a bit more.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
I'd say 2.5" is good for 350bhp then it starts to become a restriction although will still make more power. I have ran 750bhp on race fuel on a 3" system, over this look at 3.5".

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.