Diff - Traction Control?

stuibaby

MK3 Cupra Driver - Proud!
Aug 14, 2009
Bristol/Bath
Good morning,

When ever i pull away from a standstill after first starting my car on a morning or after work (8hours waiting for me) i find that i hear a slight grinding noise which sounds like (What i can only describe as..) a sprocket grinding off what ever it was connected too.

In the snow if i try to release clutch too early i get the exact same noise (Slightly harsher)

Could someone shine some light on what this could be?

Should i be concerned about something in my Diff?

On a normal day that noise will happen as/just after i set off and not come back again even during a thrashing down a dual and around streets,

Any re-assurance would be much appreciated :)

Stui

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
Good morning,

When ever i pull away from a standstill after first starting my car on a morning or after work (8hours waiting for me) i find that i hear a slight grinding noise which sounds like (What i can only describe as..) a sprocket grinding off what ever it was connected too.

In the snow if i try to release clutch too early i get the exact same noise (Slightly harsher)

Could someone shine some light on what this could be?

Should i be concerned about something in my Diff?

On a normal day that noise will happen as/just after i set off and not come back again even during a thrashing down a dual and around streets,

Any re-assurance would be much appreciated :)

Stui

first of all "thrashing down a dual and around streets" tut tut tut.

secondly. where does it sound like its coming from? you say it sounds like a griding, how long does it last? is it just pulling off only?

try pulling off in second and tell me if you hear the sound again. obviously when you get in the car in the morning or after work

cuprawill

Turbo lag is foreplay
Nov 20, 2009
i think its something to do with abs/ stability control as mine does it mainly in snow/ice dont think its anything to worry about as its been covered before.

stuibaby

Aug 14, 2009
Bristol/Bath
first of all "thrashing down a dual and around streets" tut tut tut.

secondly. where does it sound like its coming from? you say it sounds like a griding, how long does it last? is it just pulling off only?

try pulling off in second and tell me if you hear the sound again. obviously when you get in the car in the morning or after work

HaHaHa come on mr_D! if i wanted a car to plod around in i would have bought a Micra :)

Its coming from the front end, cant really point out exactly where as im driving.

It is only as i pull away but ill tell you what i did notice, the noise will be louder when pulling off from the gravel at work whilst wheel is turned left to go up road and i go into a little dip as i go off the gravel onto road?

Thanks guys,

Stui

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
HaHaHa come on mr_D! if i wanted a car to plod around in i would have bought a Micra :)

if you want to go fast keep it for the track ;)

ok so coming off gravel it also makes the noise. i would be checking down by the wheel and drive shafts. nothing catching at certain points. everything done up tight. also check the bearings and hub nut. sounds like its a pressure thing!

stuibaby

Aug 14, 2009
Bristol/Bath
if you want to go fast keep it for the track ;)

ok so coming off gravel it also makes the noise. i would be checking down by the wheel and drive shafts. nothing catching at certain points. everything done up tight. also check the bearings and hub nut. sounds like its a pressure thing!

Thanks mr_D!

It seems strange because if i pull away from a stand still after driving for a while and i give it a bit of heavy foot, there is not sound at all, TC kicks in and i let off to stop the TC doing all the work and there is no noise,

It is only when i pull away from a cold start, I read up about EDL Electronic Diff lock? - could this be what it is do you think?

Thanks,

Stui

stuibaby

Aug 14, 2009
Bristol/Bath
Found this from another thread in the past (I like his way of describing the noise in comparison to my sprocket speech :) )

"The Ibiza (And therefore probably the Leon too) has something called EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) / EDS (Electronic Differential Slip).

This is a crappy system that detects if one of the front wheels is slipping and if so it applies the brake to that wheel, thereby diverting the torque to the other wheel. This system is only active at below 25mph, and can be heard as a sort of "ruler pinging on a table" type sound, normally if you pull away quickly from a junction with your wheel turned.

Other than that the Leon doesn't have an electronic diff, unless I am very very much mistaken.

Cheers
Ben"

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
sounds like it might not be nothing new then. unless you have an issue with yours. cant say i have ever heard the noise you mention.
but on the other hand do you get this on solid ground?

Chris86

Dec 9, 2010
bridgend
mine makes the same noise more noticable in the snow and ice of course, alway asumed it was that edl thingy. i never worried about it.

Dec 10, 2009
bideford, n.devon
i noticed that mine made this noise you describe for the first time over some snow or ice, like a grinding noise coming from behind the dash area. tried again on some solid ground and the tcs came on again but no grinding so im guessing all is good.

peter_cupra197

Jun 29, 2008
cambridgeshire
mine is the same as above mine does the noise more when pulling off or occasionally turning right slowly, mine also has the abs and tcs light come on and stop working untill the next time i start the car???? :confused:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members