lost first gear HELP PLEASE.

gavbey

THE SPARKIE
Oct 7, 2009
Perth / Lerwick
hey guys.

i done a search but nothing is coming up.

driving my cupra tonight kind of hard.
came out of first then pulled it into second with a bit of a crunch. (lazy left foot)

ever since then it wont select first gear.

it goes into every other gear as before but not first. it dosent slide in atall, its asif there isnt a first gear atal :(

have i broken it or is this a comon problem with ajustment?

any help will be apreciated, thanks

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
ok. driving like a knob will break your car.

as for the problem with the gear. does it select first if the car is off? and when pressing and not pressing the clutch?

gavbey

THE SPARKIE
Oct 7, 2009
Perth / Lerwick
yeah i know im not going to lie i was driving like a nob.

clutch in or out dosent make a diffrance but i will try it with the car off after,

is it posible to just re-set the linkages? i watched a video on how to do this erlier.? beening ruff with it might of moved the plastic grips abouve the gearbox?

if not another gearbox. :)

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Did you get this sorted in the end?

I had a similar issue that occurred the same way, but not as bad.

I carried on driving round for a year, but the gear changes were never as smooth as they were previously.
I spoke to a few garages who proceeded to tell me that it was most likely the synchros in the gearbox - I decided to leave it - as it was still perfectly drivable.

This thread prompted me to do something about it, think I may have found the same video as you - Anyway, I followed the guide & everything is back to how it was.

Couldn't believe how easy it was! - only took me 5 minutes.

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9ggefOjAE

gavbey

THE SPARKIE
Oct 7, 2009
Perth / Lerwick
yeah ive given that video a try which did make the shifts better between gears but still cant get first.

i think its just goin to be the exspensive option :(

anyone have a spare oj2 gearbox? :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.