Freetrack takes the snow and ice with ease!

jamborino

Aug 3, 2009
I've had my Freetrack since June 2009, and this weekend saw some serious snow in our area, giving me the first chance to test the car's capabilities in such conditions.

I must say it passed with flying colours. Whilst many around me on the A40 and local roads were fishtailing all over the place, and several just incapable of climbing any sort of incline, the Freetrack lost no traction under power whatsoever, and was as surefooted as ever:D

A couple of times under braking the ABS duly kicked in, but that's only to be expected.

Many of the people in our street were struggling to get their cars out of their parked positions this morning, slipping all over the place. The Freetrack just pulled away as usual!
Very impressed :p

Leonidas

Thats what I like to see. I hope they bring out there own version of the Yeti/Tiguan...
That'll be my dream car :)

Leonidas

The more I look at the freetrack, the more its growing on me :whistle:
Cant get them in Ireland though..
Any pics???

mike55

May 31, 2010
Freetrack

Following another thread on winter tyres, the Freetrack on these is unbelievable. I have had chance to really try it out on hard iced snow. It accelerates, brakes and steers as though it is on a very wet road not ice. It seldom seems to flash the traction control light. I was passing cars that had been abandoned in snow with perfect control, without a twitch. Quite frankly, I am not concerned whether winter tyres are deemed not legal, not covered by insurance, as much of this if pure negative attitude which us Brit's are good at. What I do know is that me and my family have a much greater chance of not getting involved in an accident of my making.

All I can only hope now is that the car behind doesn't get to close and tries to stop to quickly and locks up. The lack of basic skid control on the roads if not good. Mind you I have had extensive skid control training.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Twice Altea got stuck up a very very slight short incline leaving the house. Tried every thing for 10 mins. Just no traction. My GTV V6 got out both times 1st time - no fuss no drama. Both on 235 aspect tyres.
I think difference was heavy V6 over front wheels and the ability to select 2nd or 3rd on the slight incline - just not possible with DSG. V6 will pull from a rolling idle in 5th if necessary!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
i drove a 3.2 A3 (which shares the same sort of haldex system as the freetrack) last week in the snow and i have to say - i was more than impressed.

You cant beat full time symetrical AWD like our subaru forester has though, it might be ugly but its great fun.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
i drove a 3.2 A3 (which shares the same sort of haldex system as the freetrack) last week in the snow and i have to say - i was more than impressed.

You cant beat full time symetrical AWD like our subaru forester has though, it might be ugly but its great fun.

My mate got here with an Audi tt yesterday in 4" of snow up a steep hill with the 4wd system,people were looking at him stunned! :D

Dawesy

Good to see the positive news on the Freetrack and snow - hopefully pick up my 57 TDi version after Christmas........Hoe the snow goes to allow me to get over and pick it up mind.. By the way, anythign I should look for before I part witht the readies? Its from a seat dealer with 12mth seat warranty, so this shoudl be good news

jontbone

Good to see the positive news on the Freetrack and snow - hopefully pick up my 57 TDi version after Christmas........Hoe the snow goes to allow me to get over and pick it up mind.. By the way, anythign I should look for before I part witht the readies? Its from a seat dealer with 12mth seat warranty, so this shoudl be good news

I love our freetrack tdi, but I'm considering selling it for the tsi version. My dpf is playing up, had it booked in for dpf removal & then read a `vosa special notice' suggesting mot legislation set to get tougher next year, which could mean my freetrack would fail without its dpf in place. Have sent a mail to vosa themselves to clear this up as there are a lot of rumours flying around. No reply yet though.

Also, we have an irritating turbo whistle noise that sounds like a police car siren (rising & falling whistle with the revs), which has also been a problem for a few members on here. I tried to get SEAT to replace the turbo under warranty, but they investigated & concluded nothing was wrong. Sods law suggests the turbo will blow just after the warranty expires!

Other than this, the car has been fantastic in all conditions, I'm reluctant to sell it really, hence considering the petrol version as a replacement.

mike55

May 31, 2010
Freetrack

I believe that next year as you say the MOT will tighten in respect of particulates. There is a date from which a car would need to be fitted with a DPF and I thought mine, which was registered in March 09 would not be involved. It would be interesting to confirm this date.

As regards the turbo whine as the service manager would say "they all do that sir" well perhaps not all of them but a lot of them. I think it depends how much local driving as apposed to long drives you make. I am told it is caused by particles being deposited on the vanes. My previos Altea did it when I bought it secondhand. The turbo bearings failed at about 40K miles, I was unlucky. The replacement was quiet until about 3K miles. My Freetrack was quiet until it had 3K miles on the clock. It does not mean it is going to fail as far as I can tell. I know many people who have turbo whine on all makes of car.

Remember the petrol one also has a turbo and these run considerably hotter than a diesel one. These have had their issues due to the heat sink cooking the oil. best of luck

AjMFreetrack

The Turbo on the 2.0L is a whiny little thing anyway and you should really only get concerned if it gets proper loud!
I must say I have had ny Freetrack for a couple of weeks now and I am very impressed!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.