HIDs - What kind? Tips and Pics inside.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
This thread is a guide to help you with; what kind you need, what colour you want and where to buy. Although all HIDs are different, so this is only a guide on the colours (They will vary slightly depending where you buy).

I would like to point out that the pictures included in this thread are from a few members, if any of these members do not want their picture to be shown I will remove it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Firstly you have to decide on which set of HIDs suit your style of headlamp. Single reflectors require H4 and double reflectors require H7 for dipped beam and H3 for main beam.

Single Reflectors (H4):
h4lights-1.jpg

Double Reflectors (H7 and H3):
h7light.jpg

I wouldnt recommend putting HIDs in your main beam as flashing the unit causes them to break prematurely.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Second of all is choosing the colour, or temperature, that you want. The most common seem to be 4.3k, 5k, 6k, and 8k. Although they do go upto 12k which is basically purple.

4.3K is deemed as being the OEM Xenon light colour. (Off white/slight yellow)
100_1486.jpg

5K is deemed to be pure white.
LightMatch.jpg

6K is deemed to be white with a hint of blue.
HIDs-1.jpg

8K is further into blue again.

Last edited:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Where to buy.

I would suggest if your car needs H7 bulbs, to buy H7R bulbs - As these are anti-glare which should stop you blinding other drivers. Although most Ebay sellers advertise H7R, they are infact not - The blanking plate is positioned incorrectly which makes no difference at all to the beam pattern. Most people will advice going to HIDs4U to buy these bulbs as they seem to be correct, although a little more expensive than the Ebay kits.

From my experience on this forum, a lot of members tend to either go to HIDs4U or recommend an Ebay seller called 'dianeshop' as the kits from there tend to be good quality. Although the final decision is upto you.

There is no difference between "Normal" ballasts and "Slim" ballasts except the size, obviously. The slim ballasts will have an extra box on the wiring though, this is the starter. If you are looking to mount the ballasts inside the light unit, then slim ballasts will be required - If not, then the normal ballasts will do.

Please note, when using HIDs4U they will advice you need to buy the "Ultimate Kit" as your car has CANBUS wiring - This is NOT true. Any kit will fit your car, providing you buy the correct bulb.

Last edited:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
This leads us onto fitting.

Whether you decide to mount the ballasts in the engine bay, or inside the light unit is your choice. The obvious difference being that inside the light unit will keep the engine bay that little bit tidier, and will prevent you from having to cut a hole in the back covers of the lights. If you decide to mount them inside the light unit you will need "Slim" ballasts as mentioned above.

The wiring is very simple, although it can look daunting. The wires are normally colour coded to each other which you connect before putting the kit into the car. The spade connectors wire into the plug from the original bulb.

Here is some pictures to show how the inside of the light unit looks with everything inside. The red square is where the ballast is placed.
covers2.jpg

Lightcloseup2.jpg

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Last of all, aligning your headlights.

To make sure you have the lights pointing in the correct position, both for your safety so you can see, and for others so not to blind them, use this guide to correctly adjust your headlights.

You need to park on a level surface in front of a wall/garage door to align them... Ibiza headlights have an inclination of 1% - meaning the top of the beam should DROP at a rate of 1%.

Headlight.jpg

Beam.jpg

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Nice work Mick [B)] we`ve needed a dedicated HID thread for a while.

I forgot about the alignment pics! Nice find :whistle:

Last edited:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Nice work Mick [B)] we`ve needed a dedicated HID thread for a while.

I forgot about the alignment pics! Nice find :whistle:

By the way here is 4300k, off white/slight yellow:

Thanks mate :) Hopefully it will help with all the HID threads that get opened... You can sort out the LED Sidelight one! :lol:

Ive moved your picture up mate, thanks for that :)

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Just found this on my computer, it`s my old 5000k beam. Shows just how white they are.

Dip-wall.jpg

ibizatom

Warrrrp tish
Mar 13, 2010
Kent
They wont look yellow. I have 4.3k in my car and they look so white compared to standard halogen lamps.

ibizatom

Warrrrp tish
Mar 13, 2010
Kent
This might help you and calm you down a little. lol.

Dipped beam is 4.3k HID and the full beam is a halogen lamp with a blue tint to make it more whiter. Well not to much effect anyway. lol

DSC_4937.jpg

BeezaDave

LimerickHurlingSupporter
Jul 29, 2009
Limerick/Dublin Ireland
got sidelights today that i was told would match the 4300k hids which are on the way and they look exactly the same as the standard sidelights, just as yellow. so now iv got HIDS on the way which are gonna be yellow. i thought 5000k where the whitest but was told 4300k were whiter. screwed now. any ideas what i can do??

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.