Caughing/sputtering poorly cupra

defected123

Dec 3, 2010
Bolton
Mk3 Ibiza poss coilpack issue lumpy drive

Hi guys basically,just recently bought dave benny's cupra had it a few weeks everything has been fine but yesterday it started to drive lumpy and started to caugh at around 1.8k and 2.5k revs,then finally started to missfire.today I replaced the 2nd coilpack as I found out it was this issue and cured the misfire,car was ok until about an hour ago where I took it out for an easy drive to find it caughing and Spluttering at the exact same rev position again it's not miss firing but I don't know what this could be.....surly not another coilpack ????

Any help from you guys or even Benny himself would be very appreciative
Thanks guys

defected123

Dec 3, 2010
Bolton
Hi guys basically,just recently bought dave benny's cupra had it a few weeks everything has been fine but yesterday it started to drive lumpy and started to caugh at around 1.8k and 2.5k revs,then finally started to missfire.today I replaced the 2nd coilpack as I found out it was this issue and cured the misfire,car was ok until about an hour ago where I took it out for an easy drive to find it caughing and Spluttering at the exact same rev position again it's not miss firing but I don't know what this could be.....surly not another coilpack ????

Any help from you guys or even Benny himself would be very appreciative
Thanks guys

Aug 27, 2010
If one goes the others follow suit, how much are they each might have to all?
Mayb the plugs are playing up

arron2004

Cupra Boy
Mar 1, 2007
Nottingham J25 M1
Danturbo is right! You should always replace all of them at the same time! I would deffo think it's another coil-pack, get on phone to GSF or TPS and get some, there cheap there!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
check the plugs also..
did the guy selling it say about the wmi on it? what mix to use, its settings etc?

defected123

Dec 3, 2010
Bolton
yea bill he said you have done lots to it and that its been running a 50/50 water/meth mix,dom said it could be advised to remove it in winter but i just havnt had time with working over xmas....ive replaced 2 coilpacks today as thats all i had and its seems to still do this caughing around 2k revs then after its fine and seems to be boosting fine also no smoke or loss of liquids,could this be wmi related,thanks bill

also plugs taken out and they seem all perfect

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
what gaps were the plugs? 0.7mm is what they should be at
what boost do you see the wmi controller lights start to come on?

any faultcodes popped up at all?

defected123

Dec 3, 2010
Bolton
Runs abouts 22/23psi of boost when wmi is on and the plugs look ok but I didn't measure the gaps,it's just lumpy and jerky low down then fine on full throttle after I have 2 new coil packs in and 2 that were already in that seem ok but I don't really know.

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
Mine was similar a couple of weeks ago

Turned out to be the map sensor on mine

But then again mine wouldnt boost properly at all so i guess it might not be

defected123

Dec 3, 2010
Bolton
Mine was similar a couple of weeks ago

Turned out to be the map sensor on mine

But then again mine wouldnt boost properly at all so i guess it might not be

If anything the boost feels more laggy but nothing that noticeable tbh,don't know if it's wmi related or not but something isn't right at all.
How did you fix the map sensor ?

Only other things I can think of are
Spark plugs
Put 2 more new coilpacks on so all 4 are done
N75 problems
Maf

Last edited:

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Check the map sensor down on the intercooler pipe, it did have a new one before i sold it but the clip had broke so IIRC Bill zip tied it down might have just worked its way loose.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
If anything the boost feels more laggy but nothing that noticeable tbh,don't know if it's wmi related or not but something isn't right at all.
How did you fix the map sensor ?

Only other things I can think of are
Spark plugs
Put 2 more new coilpacks on so all 4 are done
N75 problems
Maf

whereabouts are you in the country?

defected123

Dec 3, 2010
Bolton
Also dips on idle occasionally I have lost the splitter in the snow so could have knocked this sensor where exactly is it ? Just strange it misfired then replaced the coil pack and it was fine,yea Manchester area guys

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
If the forge sticker is still on the slam panel its just to the right of that if you look down its attached to the intercooler pipe it will have another wire coming off the wires which is to do with the WMI.