air bag slip ring question?

nat85

Apr 16, 2009
hi all happy new year! right ive had air bag light on for ages now and its down to the slip ring or some times called a squib in the steering wheel which is very expensive!! spoke to someone today that said i mite be able to just buy a resistor to bypass it as if you was putting a performance steering wheel on and didnt want the air bag light on! Any one no if this could be done ?? :confused:

nat85

Apr 16, 2009
will this stop the fault code coming up as well then? so all i need to get is a vagcom lead and disc off ebay??

nat85

Apr 16, 2009
cool its got to be worth a try! lot cheaper than a new slip ring! just trying to get rid of all my fault codes before i get it mapped agen with all my hybrid parts! you going hybrid??

nat85

Apr 16, 2009
so can this be done just by buying the disc and cable or would i have to pay for the extended version?

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Hello mate - get yourself a new slip ring from a VW/Audi/Seat breakers (try Stevens Breakers on the net) it's not difficult and won't be more than £25. Loads of Vw's came with this slip ring and they can break - they're just a pair of wires pressed flat into a ribbon cable and wrapped round and round about 15 times.

Get it replaced or you'll have to own up to your bodge when you sell the car.. or someone crashes it.

nat85

Apr 16, 2009
got hold of a new slip ring this week from a breakers, fitted it today cleared the fault code job done. Finally got it sorted no more air bag light :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.