Will it fit?

mestonian

Sep 6, 2010
W. yorkshire
because im looking for some that are more relaible than the normal vw/audi ones. Tried hitatchi bolt downs and they blew. Got the push down and they start to struggle under load. Genuine revision r's as well. Couldnt care less what they look like, you dont see them when your driving!! Asthetics arent everything but reliability is!!

mestonian

Sep 6, 2010
W. yorkshire
It was on NGK's when i got it and i only went for Densos to give them a try and i havent had any problems with them to be honset. The R8 coil packs look very similar and i cant imagine Audi putting coils as crap in one off them. Part number is also very similar.

andycupra

status subject to change
sadly 'similair' part numbers can be very different.

for clarification, did the coil issues originally start BEFORE you put the densos in?
gapping correct etc.
I get the impression you will say yes and be insulted ive asked, but i dont know you.. :)

PS, in my experience 'newer' coils are less reliable than old (circa 2000) coils.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
i only went for Densos to give them a try and i havent had any problems with them to be honset.

are you sure, this could be the reasons for you cyclinder misfire and not the coils, if you have fitted oem coils recently they should last a long time.

mestonian

Sep 6, 2010
W. yorkshire
Yep coil issues have been from day 1. Gapping is correct. First 2 coil packs went with the Ngks in, they were Genuine vag revision L coils. Changed all 4 to Hitachi bolt downs and kept the two good push down as spares. 1 Hiatchi lasted two months then went.
Exchanged that for another brand new Hitachi and another on (different cylinder) went pop 2 weeks later.
Sold the remaining good Hitatchis and got 4 revision R push downs from Audi.
1 lasted a week so that got exchanged and the Densos then went in. Then another of the revision R's went.
As you can probably guess im getting a bit tired of it and just want something more reliable!!

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
strange, i can see why its doing your head in. whats the wiring like to the coil packs, i have read on a few ocassions that the wiring can fail due to corrosion ect, this will cause the coil packs to go. terry another member on the forum had the same problem

mestonian

Sep 6, 2010
W. yorkshire
Wiring looks ok, check with a multimeter from further down the harness and all ok. No noticable cracks or bad insulation. If it was the same cylinder all the time it would obviously be easier to pinpoint but it seems this car doesnt do things the easy way!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members