Broken fog light

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
My girlfriends car is due an MOT on Friday and I've just remembered the O/S fog light is broken. Is the glass / plastic cover replaceable or do I need the whole unit?

Any part numbers would be appreciated, cheers.

You need a whole unit - I got a replacement unit from EBay for ~£30.

For the MOT though, do you not only need the rear foglight to be functioning by law? (As some cars don't have front foglights?) Or is it a case of where you have them, they have to work? Maybe a friendly MOT tester can clarify?

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
I'd better get it replaced whether or not its needed for the MOT I think.

Is this the right part? LEFT FOGLAMP 5P0941703 £66.05 (+ BACKING £10)

I'm assuming left is as you look at the front?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I'd better get it replaced whether or not its needed for the MOT I think.

Is this the right part? LEFT FOGLAMP 5P0941703 £66.05 (+ BACKING £10)

I'm assuming left is as you look at the front?

Left ( N/S ) and Right ( O/S ) are normally as you sit in the drivers seat so a LEFT fog light should be nearest the kerb

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
I broke the passenger foglight on mine and got the Leon 05-on (mk2) from that NP autoparts ebay shop. Looks pretty identical for about 30 pound. It has a screw instead of a torx screw for adjusting the angle is all I can see difference. I'm just about to lamix it.

I'm pretty sure that so long as it didn't look dangerous eg sharp glass sticking out then front foglights arent a requirement you should be okay, specially if its only the cover.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I'm pretty sure that so long as it didn't look dangerous eg sharp glass sticking out then front foglights arent a requirement you should be okay, specially if its only the cover.

If it's a light and its fitted to the car it must have the lens intact and work for the MOT.

Best bet it to take BOTH fog lights out for the MOT and source another fog light at your liesure.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
My 07 Ibiza sport fog lamp was the same as the alteas after some researching.

It you take out the lamp unit, the part number is stamped on it and a google search will tell you what else uses the same one.