HID bulb installation

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
I guess that only the HIDS4U H7R bulbs give the correct beam pattern and buying other H7R's is just trying to save some money and in the end paying more for fake H7R bulbs.
Thank you guys :thumbup:

Does it make any difference to the pattern in having the metal thing inside the headlight?
Cause I don't want to remove it :confused:

Well, no. Mine isnt an HIDS4U kit but my bulbs are fine - proper R bulbs. But HIDS4U seem to be the easiest and safest place to get them, as you find alot of the R bulbs advertised on ebay are wrong.

No it doesnt make a difference to the beam pattern, infact it helps to stop the glare for other drivers. I'd leave it on, its fine where it is.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I guess that only the HIDS4U H7R bulbs give the correct beam pattern and buying other H7R's is just trying to save some money and in the end paying more for fake H7R bulbs.

As Mick said not necessarily, but they are the safest place to buy H7R bulbs if you want to avoid using pot luck... I know from personal experience they are as good as you can get.
They are expensive though, although discount codes help a bit.

The issue is that most H7R bulbs are just copies of the D2R bulbs used in OEM xenons with reflectors (Renault Laguna, Honda Civic etc), they are not designed for halogens so the blacked out part of the bulb is in the wrong place, resulting in a beam that is just the same as H7 hids.
The better H7R`s have been designed to work with halogens and basically cut the beam in half so the light only reflects off the top of the reflector, keeping the beam lower and flatter which is more like OEM xenons.

infected

Well, no. Mine isnt an HIDS4U kit but my bulbs are fine - proper R bulbs. But HIDS4U seem to be the easiest and safest place to get them, as you find alot of the R bulbs advertised on ebay are wrong.

No it doesnt make a difference to the beam pattern, infact it helps to stop the glare for other drivers. I'd leave it on, its fine where it is.

Where did you get your bulbs/kit from Mick? To be honest paying £53 (that's how much the bulbs would cost me with the discount code and shipping to Macedonia) for anti-glare bulbs is more than I bought my whole slim ballast 6000k kit.

As Mick said not necessarily, but they are the safest place to buy H7R bulbs if you want to avoid using pot luck... I know from personal experience they are as good as you can get.
They are expensive though, although discount codes help a bit.

The issue is that most H7R bulbs are just copies of the D2R bulbs used in OEM xenons with reflectors (Renault Laguna, Honda Civic etc), they are not designed for halogens so the blacked out part of the bulb is in the wrong place, resulting in a beam that is just the same as H7 hids.
The better H7R`s have been designed to work with halogens and basically cut the beam in half so the light only reflects off the top of the reflector, keeping the beam lower and flatter which is more like OEM xenons.

Other people that have bought the hids-direct bulbs seem to get better beam pattern and a proper cut off. In my case the cut off is perfect and my headlights are set to highest factory settings 0 and I've never been flashed.
But look what my beam looks like...

img832.imageshack.us/img832/1972/02012011019.jpg
img814.imageshack.us/img814/8548/02012011020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

infected

Erm; that's how my beam looked originally...Check my RR to compare. I must say, that beam pattern looks kinda crappy..

Turns out my bulbs were upside down; try it out :p

I thought that the bulbs may be upside down. I guess I'll try tomorrow to turn them the other way around and to see what I'll get.
Did u put them with the wire going on the top of the bulb or the bottom?

infected

I'm pretty sure it's on the bottom.. However we have different bulbs so they may differ. I think the black covering of the bulb, is on the bottom side, if I'm not mistaken.

well the wire of my bulbs also goes under them and I'm pretty sure that is the way they are supposed to be installed. I guess that I've got the wrong cheap bulbs:censored:

ben3486

Aug 2, 2010
Norfolk
At the bottom of the bulb, on the round base, there is a flat part with a notch on it. like ___[]___ and then the rest of the base is circular. This flat bit with the notch is for locating the bulb properly. Have a look at where the bulb goes in the head light and youll see where the flat and the notched bit go in to lacate the bulb properly. Im pretty sure its at the top of the head light or slighty off to one side of the top.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members