Better calipers

ibizatom

Warrrrp tish
Mar 13, 2010
Kent
Basically what the title says.

It's all nice having this power but even now I am starting to doubt the 312mm brakes I have on the car.

Currently have Audi TT calipers on the front. Now as they are single piston, good for a quick blast but after 20 mins they are too soft and soo spongy. Not good!

I need something more powerful. Was looking at Audi RS4 B7 calipers. Might seem a little ott but I feel I need something as strong as this. lol.

Any help would be great. :)

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Hi bud, If they're getting soft after a bit of use, it's more likely the pads or brake fluid that's letting you down rather than the calipers.:)

ibizatom

Warrrrp tish
Mar 13, 2010
Kent
Could very well be tbh!

Been talking to a mate about this also as I am a little concerned about it. Pads are ferrero ds 2000 and are like new. Have loads and loads of meat left on them.

Not sure when the brake fluid was last changed but I think I might get this done first though.

ibizatom

Warrrrp tish
Mar 13, 2010
Kent
I think people use the ferodo 2500 and DOT 5.1, dont they?

Those callipers would be nice though... HUGE!

Going by what I have read on here, yeah.

Would be nice yeah, 8 pot I believe. Just a shame I missed them on ebay not to long ago. Whole front end kit for £450. What a bargin! :-o

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Foooooooooook me!
Are your rear brakes upgraded or just standard? I keep reading about peeps stickin huge calipers on the front but nothing about doin the rears lol. I would've thought that would make a difference and for less dosh.:)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Someone should blank off the rear pipes and try it as an experiment. I would but my car aint that quick lol. I did notice it when I replaced all the shoes an that though.

ibizatom

Warrrrp tish
Mar 13, 2010
Kent
Foooooooooook me!
Are your rear brakes upgraded or just standard? I keep reading about peeps stickin huge calipers on the front but nothing about doin the rears lol. I would've thought that would make a difference and for less dosh.:)

Rear brakes are standard. Recently fitted new OEM discs and pads, but that's about it.

I did look up about fitting bigger brakes on the rear but there is the risk of the rears locking up. I know the car has ABS and all those tricks but didn't see the point with the Ibiza being so light weight.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I've no idea myself either but am curious, I mean racing and rally cars will have uprated brakes all round but who knows.:)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've no idea myself either but am curious, I mean racing and rally cars will have uprated brakes all round but who knows.:)

They are uprated all round, but the rears are still tiny compared to the fronts. I noticed it most when I went to see BTCC cars, the front discs were bigger than my wheels and filled the touring car wheel, whereas the the rears looked almost standard size albeit still cross drilled. You can also see them in action, the fronts spend most of their time glowing red but the rears stay metal coloured.

I'd agree with Glanza for the fix though, new brake fluid and braided lines. Ferodo pads should be able to keep up with what you're asking of them, I get the impression they're a reasonable option for track day cars.

knackerdecobre

Get some decent grooved discs on the front (grooved, not drilled!!!), some braided lines and 5.1 fluid, and your leg will get tired of braking before your brakes fade/give up ;)

I had a that set up, I was out braking a clio cup car on a recent track day :)

Rhys_

Mar 29, 2009
Cardiff, South Wales
Before my recent Tarox B32 6pot calliper upgrade with 312 tarox discs, I used fast road pads with grooved discs with standard callipers and with some good brake fluid they were fine.

the new 6pots however are in a different league but i would try changing the fluid first and if its still not as you hope then try looking for some new callipers.

ibizatom

Warrrrp tish
Mar 13, 2010
Kent
Get some decent grooved discs on the front (grooved, not drilled!!!), some braided lines and 5.1 fluid, and your leg will get tired of braking before your brakes fade/give up ;)

I had a that set up, I was out braking a clio cup car on a recent track day :)

Currently have these discs. Brand are called ATE

Brembodisc.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I'll be getting the brake fluid changed. Will def be doing this soon as I'm planning another Trip back to the Nurburgring at the end of May. :D

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Foooooooooook me!

Dont think the rears see much action on these though... Think thats why most people just do the front.

I looked into upping the rears to the 256mm vented setup but it would cost even more than my 312mm front setup.
That, and the fact that the Cupra mk4 has 312`s with 4-pot calipers up front and only 239mm solid discs at the back, tells me the rears are fine standard if you upgrade to 312.

If you had 350`s on the front though I think it would be a different matter!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.