BMW e39 528i

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Well hello there. Its been ages since I appeared on here and not sure how many of the old lot are still active here.

Anywho the Cordoba Cupra has been gone now for over 2 years, and I played around with a couple of VW's, but since about a year I have turned to BMW.

Sold my E30 325 and bought myself a E39 528i ex 98. Absolutely great car with a whole rack of luxury.

I'll post a good list of spec with pics shortly.

But the real reason i'm posting atm is that I am in search of a bit of advice, and seeing as I can't find a proper BMW forum with active members, and the level of knowledge was always extremely high here; I thought i'd give it a go.

The BMW is showing sighns of slush in the motor head, evident from the pics below (enlarge if needed).

Foto0405.jpg

Foto0406.jpg

So first I thought the head gasket was leaking, however I'm not losing any coolant whatsoever.
So I thought the oil might have been too old, so added engine flush to the old oil, then drained it and changed filter. Looked like it hadn't been done in a while.

However next day, the yellow slush was straight back under the oil filling cap and edged of the head.

Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction?

cheers

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
So I thought the oil might have been too old, so added engine flush to the old oil, then drained it and changed filter. Looked like it hadn't been done in a while.

done 1st thing i would have done too but mind you knowing the breather system on that engine is quite extensive it may just be leftovers so i would wash out all the pipes and ideally the rocker cover too if you can

stick the last 7 digits of ya chassis in here - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do and you'll find all the parts diagrams you'll ever need

not unheard of to do gasket's sadly and the block's are common for ripping the head bolt threads so finger's crossed it's just remnants

54.png

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Flapper mate! You're still here.

Thanks for the heads up on the site.

Not really heard of many heads on the e39 going though. E30 yes; happened to mine as well, but yes as you said I'm keeping my fingers crossed cause with my freshly born daughter I just don't have the cash to do a full head revision.

You think that flushing the entire system again would be worthwhile? And if the head bolts were ripped what sighns would it show? As i said coolant is perfect for the last 2 weeks checked it every day at the exact same time with engine completely cold.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
that later ali block engine is getting known for troubles over here and my old man (engine recon) is always bitching about head bolt threads when we put them back togather

brother has done his HG 98-328 and i've done a manual and auto 523/528 myself of which at least 3 bolt threads were stripped

may just be me pulling em apart too quick :)

definately wash out all the pipes