Mayo under filler cap and coolant looking slightly dirty :( TFSI Sport

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Allo all! Went to top up my oil this morning and saw mayo under the filler cap!!! I've been losing coolant too albeit very very slowly!! Now i have been doing quite a few short jorneys lately (4 miles to work and back). Spoke to midVW and they said to get it booked in, mentioned either oil cooler or head gasket GULP!!!!! Any advice guys?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Mayo on the filler cap is just condensation, if the oil and water are mixing you'll see the dipstick looking like it's been dipped in choclate milkshake. It might just be 2 seperate issues, the coolant might be leaking somewhere else. Is there a huge pressure in the coolant hoses? Are they really hard from pressure? Does the car run ok? No misfires, hard to start, Overheating etc. The condensation in your oil will be because the car isn't getting a good run to warm up properly, very common.:)

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Thanks Seatmann! I did wonder after I read a thread on here about a similar issue! Dipstick looks fine no chocolate milshake look there! Nothing really to report except the usual tfsi starting, maybe a bit lumpy on idle but then again aren't all tfsi's!?!?!?! No over heating either! So all in all the car seems to run fine! Only other thing is the coolant loss and the fact that the coolant looks dirty! As for the pressure what should i do to check?

Just for a little more peace of mind this is what the filler cap looks like! Definatly condensation???

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

Last edited:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Whats the dip-stick look like?

Oil colour wise i mean - is there oil on it or the choc milkshake - that will really prove it one way or another.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The coolant hoses tend to get really hard when the car's running. There should be a bit of spongyness to the feel when you squeeze them and not like trying to squeeze a brick. Another thing would be to ask the garage to test for exhaust fumes in the coolant tank and I would expect the car to overheat too. The coolant can get really mucky anyway if it hasn't been flushed and renewed for a while. If the pressure is ok and the car isn't overheating then the oil cooler could well be a factor but either way I wouldn't panic just yet. Get some more tests done and maybe take the car for a good spin and see how it goes.:)

Sep 5, 2009
Midlands
I'd say that ain't "mayo" and nothing to worry about, my cupra has similar on the odd occasion I take filler cap off, check the dipstick that should show just oil.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Take it for a longish drive and see if it goes away. I bet its nothing to worry about these engines always do this when cold and short journeys are put together.

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Cheers guys! Dip stick is just oil!!

Seatmann, the coolant hoses don't get any harder when the cars running (not that i can tell anyhoo)! Coolant was changed when the cambelt was done in June tho, so should it be mucky already??

Just going out for a drive now!!!! ;)

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
Nice one! So i shouldn't be worried? Worth getting it to the garage for them to test the coolant, nor not?

hi mate i had the same issue and its just condensation. Mine was booked in for a service and an oil change will get rid of that.

If you go into my profile and look at my started threads it should be in there.

I was also only doing very short journeys and although the water was getting hot the oil wasnt.

Wellsy

GTI ED35
Feb 8, 2010
Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
The coolant shouldn't be getting visibly dirty at all!?! In 5 years of driving and running heavy plant machinery I've NEVER seen dirty coolant on any of our vehicles, apart from, and I hate to say this, when there was an issue brewing.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Allo all! Went to top up my oil this morning and saw mayo under the filler cap!!! I've been losing coolant too albeit very very slowly!! Now i have been doing quite a few short jorneys lately (4 miles to work and back). Spoke to midVW and they said to get it booked in, mentioned either oil cooler or head gasket GULP!!!!! Any advice guys?

Well looking at your oil cap I would say fairly normal for the weather and your usage.
Can you post a pic of your coolant? one from outside the bottle looking through to the min and max markings and one with the top off looking into the bottle?
Then we will be able to confirm either way.
Just an idea:)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The coolant shouldn't be getting visibly dirty at all!?! In 5 years of driving and running heavy plant machinery I've NEVER seen dirty coolant on any of our vehicles, apart from, and I hate to say this, when there was an issue brewing.

I've seen manky coolant loads of times, with brown gunk, oily sort of muck and other stuff too. My brothers car's in need of a flush and refill, his coolant is rank. The chances are that the machinery and stuff you've worked with is probably better maintained than peoples cars.:D

Wellsy

GTI ED35
Feb 8, 2010
Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellsy

I've seen manky coolant loads of times, with brown gunk, oily sort of muck and other stuff too. My brothers car's in need of a flush and refill, his coolant is rank. The chances are that the machinery and stuff you've worked with is probably better maintained than peoples cars.

That could be a possibility there...we were a bit obsessive with keeping things in pristine order! :D

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh I don't know about you but I was pretty clueless about maintaining my car when I was younger. If only I knew then what I know now lol. A lot of people don't know about looking after their cars but that's one of the good things about sites like this, we're able to help out when someone posts a thread like this and advise them about flushing and new coolant etc.
:)

Wellsy

GTI ED35
Feb 8, 2010
Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
lol I was brought up with a family that had cars, motorbikes and equipment, so generally I know how to get on with vehicles, although this site's been invaluable with people's experiences and simpe fixes for what can seem like major problems :clap:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.