Cupra 180 -> Few Other Tweaks

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Hello everybody.........

Due to not having the details about when my motor has its CAM belt/Water Pump done, i decided to start looking at what else could be done while the car was in the garage.

Thats when i decided to start looking out for anything that i could get hands on to improve the car for sensible money.

This is my current plan for my 2003 plate cupra 1.8t AUQ before January!

- Remap Stage 1
- Light Weight Pulleys for power steering pump etc
- Uprated DV
- Dog bone mount
- Either K&N or Green Cotton Panel filter......Deciding to keep standard airbox instead of going down the induction kit as its a family car.......well when the mrs and the little one are not in it ;)

1) Now the next question is would it be worth getting a high flow manifold and would i notice the difference with the remap and pulleys?

2) Do any companies do quiet performance exhausts?........yes i did say quiet, the mrs didnt like my 3" powerflow on the last car....under the thumb i know!!! :p

3) Are there any other intresting tweaks that can be done for sensible money or any other mounts that are worth doing, open to ideas and any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Hello everybody.........

Due to not having the details about when my motor has its CAM belt/Water Pump done, i decided to start looking at what else could be done while the car was in the garage.

Thats when i decided to start looking out for anything that i could get hands on to improve the car for sensible money.

This is my current plan for my 2003 plate cupra 1.8t AUQ before January!

- Remap Stage 1
- Light Weight Pulleys for power steering pump etc
- Uprated DV
- Dog bone mount
- Either K&N or Green Cotton Panel filter......Deciding to keep standard airbox instead of going down the induction kit as its a family car.......well when the mrs and the little one are not in it ;)

1) Now the next question is would it be worth getting a high flow manifold and would i notice the difference with the remap and pulleys?

2) Do any companies do quiet performance exhausts?........yes i did say quiet, the mrs didnt like my 3" powerflow on the last car....under the thumb i know!!! :p

3) Are there any other intresting tweaks that can be done for sensible money or any other mounts that are worth doing, open to ideas and any help will be appreciated.

Ok mate

I'd scrap the plans for the pulleys, i'm sure someone done a test on some of these a while back, and they actually lost power, so if it was me, i'd give them a miss and put the money towards something else

1) High flow mani isn't really needed for the mods you're planning. Could just get your standard one ported/polished?

2) Milltek are known for offering performance without all the noise. Still noticeable on full chat though ;) Also supersprint are another choice

3) If you can stretch to it, go for THS's full mount upgrade. This includes the dogbone mount and 2 other mounts (both engine i think?) Much more worthwhile if you can afford it.

Hope this helps a bit

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
1) High flow mani isn't really needed for the mods you're planning. Could just get your standard one ported/polished?

Whats the usual price for getting this done and whats the performance increase?

2) Milltek are known for offering performance without all the noise. Still noticeable on full chat though ;) Also supersprint are another choice

Cool, might have to check this out

3) If you can stretch to it, go for THS's full mount upgrade. This includes the dogbone mount and 2 other mounts (both engine i think?) Much more worthwhile if you can afford it.

I spotted this kit on ebay but its a big chunk of cash....and i was only looking at the dogbone poly bush

Thanks for the input though

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Id add rear ARB to the list which improves handling in corners.

The mani isnt a restriction on these cars the turbo itself is a bigger restriction.
Better to concentrate on the down pipe and sports cat which will add 10bhp or more if mapped in with custom stage 2 map up to around 240bhp in total.

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Sweet, the only reason i'm after the stage 1 remap is because i didnt have the extra 1.5k for the cupra r.

This will keep me going till i can by one of the new ones at least.

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Please can someone just confirm which poly mounts fit the leon cupra 180 2003?

I think these are the ones i need..........can someone confirm for me?

Front Wishbone Front Bush, Pressed Arm, 30mm OD PFF85-201
Front Wishbone Rear Bush, Pressed Arm PFF85-410

Also any idea which of the following kits fit either?

Front Anti Roll Bar Mount 18mm PFF85-411-18
Front Anti Roll Bar Mount 21mm PFF85-411-21
Front Anti Roll Bar Mount 23mm PFF85-411-23

already got these

Front Anti Roll Bar Link Bush Kit PFF85-412
Front Engine Mount Dog Bone PFF85-420

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Well the silicone hoses have been fitted along with the dog bone bush & k&n panel filter.

Bloody hell you can tell the difference after adding each part, only put the filter in today and you can tell the difference big style with the sound and acceleration.

Still waiting for a the n75 to arrive as the cars dumping funny when getting to max boost around 3.5k either that or the maf is buggered.

No engine warning lights come on, no leaks and when checking with a fault reader nothing shows when idle through to foot steady on at 3krevs but my cable has arrived so i should be able to track down whats going on as i drive around.......well i hope so.

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Well i have found out some intresting things today......maf is buggered after unplugging the car was 1000% better, fitted the tip and by god its amazing but an absolute pig to fit.

Just need to clean the maf only problem is that after connecting the maf again the traction control light is still on.....lol

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Another intresting thing i leart yesterday after speaking to a good friend at the garage was that the maf was causing the tappet noise on the car when it was cold on start up......not sure about the full science in this but its cured.

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Well it's all been done!

Silicone Tip and the other 5 silicone hoses
K&N Panel filter
Uprated DV
Poly engine bush

Must admit the car is amazing with the above mods and only cost around £550 for all the stuff....if your thinking of changing your lc have the map and you wont be disapointed.

Last edited:

dan1990

Dec 1, 2009
Cannock
sounds good mate glad your happy :) what else you got planned then?? ohh and get some pics up makes for a better thread ;)

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
I think to be fair thats all for the motor at present unless i can find odd bits and bobs going cheap.........was thinking of the full milltek turbo back resonated exhaust but to be fair for £700 i dont think it will make me smile as much as a remap..... :eek:)

Will see about getting some pictures up when i get a chance.

Last edited:

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Yeah traction is good, had an issue with the new maf which has been changed again under warranty as this was kicking in the tc light when accelerating hard.

Car is awesome now, just need to make the secondary air pump quiet :cartman:

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Well 5 more nights till i get the turbo back with sports cat and the added treat of a bolt on and off decat!

Shes had a few changes since i last posted...........it was due to the mot as advisories but hey ho!

New brakes front and back slot and dimpled with yellow stuff pads (cannot believe the difference with these pads)
Poly bushs on the front wishbones
New ball joints
New Inner rack and trust rods (Made a huge difference to the car)

Having a toss up on what to get next.............thinking the uprated ARB's and then probably the strut braces to improve the handling, not arsed about new suspension as the ride height is required by me damn speed bumps and the drop kerb where i park out side, unless anyone can advise on good suspension that can keep stock height.

Then its the next toss up of uprated smic(seen one for £200) or fmic was thinking the forge but £600+ notes or a universal for £200 just need to get a mounting bracket then and then the custom map to top the girl off.

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
It's good when you have a mate thats a mechanic.........think all the parts were like £400 biggest chunk was the brakes and pads and only cost £40 + some beer!

That wiped out all the advisories in 1 swoop apart from the exhaust which is saturday but i'm kinda thinking a sports single mass clutch is a must soon enough.

i will dig out the pics and get them up but also need to do the by pass and get the annoying secondary pump off still but thinking of getting the turbo recon'd as it leaks a tad and then rolling road tested at the same time.

cupratune

Oct 29, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Well should have my baby back tomorrow after getting the farse that is when other peoples insurances companies **** you around, so the front bumper, rear sill(previous owner damage), resprayed calipers(yellow).....o and at some point pick up my alloy with my new tyre after hitting the curb on monday and blowing the tyre out.

Apart from that awaiting for the shopping list to arrive!

Bilsteins B4 sports suspension
Eibach Front 30/Rear 25
Eibach Front & Rear AIB

That should be done next week so will get some before and after pics :eek:)

Also learnt that my setup doesnt like the n75j valve so reverting to the other one when i get it back.....the j series was causing an irratic boost after running for a couple of weeks.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members