Water damaged ecu ???? Opinion needed

plattsy

Jun 30, 2010
I'm just after a bit of info really I've had my car mapped and some mechanical work by a local tuner to wear I live ..... He's had the ecu open to soldier a new chip inside .... Anyway I took the car to be washed and when I came to restart the car it would fire up but it does turn
Over .... It comes up with a orange
Light in the dash with a key and car which I assume is the immobilizer after removing the ecu from the car I've found that it's full of water :-/ .... I returned to the tuner for him to reopen it and check it .... His verdict is that I think he said that the EPROM chip in the ecu was blank which he says stores the details for the immobilizer etc so I now need a new ecu ..... He's saying basically it's at my cost but if he had it apart shouldn't he have sealed
It back up ??? I'm just wondering how I stand and peoples opinions on the matter :-/ thanks Dave

jamie8954

Diesel FTMFW
Jun 29, 2008
UK
will be his fault for not sealing it up properly..

i know you have said the ecu is full of water which is more than likely the problem but you didnt drop your key or anything with the chip insude the key did you ?

plattsy

Jun 30, 2010
Because before
My bam setup when I brought the car my ecu had a apr chip I think it was and it had been poorly soldered so when he tried to map it it wouldn't work so he replace the chip I'm not very good with ecu's so it's s bit vague for me to explain and no I havnt dropped the key it's only been on the road 2 days when this happened :-/

plattsy

Jun 30, 2010
It's deffo the water damage because it's turned a patch of the ecu casing dark colored wear it's been really hot and on the ecu board there's like a melted patch if you get wot I mean and also the x4 screws were missing from the ecu case

plattsy

Jun 30, 2010
This is what I'm thinking :-/ i shall have to ring him and see what he has to say

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
it is his fault all the way mate

i have had a similar issue

basicly i rang the citizen advice bureau and then trading standard explaning everything they then give you some refrence nomber for back up,i then told the mechanic this and what i new ect ect........he shat him self and gave me all my money back

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
also for ECU repair DO NOT use ecu doctor or bba reman they also can not seal the ecu up properly after reapair either,they would be ace if the wer trying to make fish tanks

plattsy

Jun 30, 2010
Yea they wasn't in when I took the ecu out of the car to take the ecu back to him to check

m0sch

JabbaSport K04 Cupra
Feb 11, 2010
Windsor
www.facebook.com
i had the exact same problem just fater a custo map so i had to buy a ecu off someone on here then sent it to my tuner as its 100 miles away with the broken ecu and he put my map on the 2nd one i bought

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
When I first got my car the ecu was soaked and had some corrosion causing shorting out but luckily a careful clean, thorough dry and a good dose of silicone has cured it but it was after I spent £200 on a flippin tps. Yours sounds like the tuners fault though especially with the screws missing. That just sounds totally unprofessional and maybe you should ask him if he wants to sort it or have bad press. It might be worth speaking to watchdog for more advice.

plattsy

Jun 30, 2010
Yea I'm going to ring him tomorrow he charged me £1200 for a custom map .... Remove and refit k04-023 turbo because of oil leak .... N 249 bypass fit fuel pump ( bam) I supplied and fit alternator and supply which was £60 of eBay and he had to replace a chip on the ecu which he charged me £100 quid for ..... So in September I took the car to him he said he would gave it done in around 4 weeks because I wasn't in a rush for it so the begining of December I went to collect my car with 2 mates .... Fuel pump not fitted old alternator removed but the new one hadn't been fitted and all he had done is the n249 .... So while I was their me and 2 mates changed the fuel pump and fitted the alternator to help speed things up ... I then took the car home over Xmas so when it left the eml light came on on the way home which was because he hadn't mapped out the 2 nd lamba out .... So I got the car running about 2 weeks ago and took it for a quick spin and I could smell oil ..... So pulled it over my mates pit at his garage and it's leaking oil from turbo supply (the one he was payed to sort out ) now it's the ecu full of water I'm now thinking he's taken the piss but he's got a good name on briskoda I don't want to slate him off but I'm a bit pissed of with it now rant over :)

tobi20v

Feb 27, 2009
Germany
Besides that you paid a lot of money, and the tuner should handle this for free as a service, don't declate the ECU as damaged. You Need to use some circuit board cleaner i.e. that one.
You can also put it into cleaning alcohol, i had to do this last week, too.
That often helps.

Cheers

plattsy

Jun 30, 2010
The problem is that he's took the ecu apart and tried to get my data of the ecu but the ecu seems blank if that makes sence .... My map is on their but that's it theirs no immobilizer codes or anything ..... Hes saying I either need another ecu and he will put my map on it but that's at my cost so a secand hand ecu is around £200 but then I suppose he's got to code my key etc To it and swap my map over but my old ecu is totally useless it won't even connect or boot up in vagcom

tobi20v

Feb 27, 2009
Germany
In any case, thats his fault. He didn't use new ducting paste and the screws need to be in, too. So, don't pay any money to that person and I'd say, write an article here in SCN that other users are warned of his methods and service.

Cheers,

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members