Improve handling?

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
Anyone got any personal preference on mods to improve the handling?

Was thinking Strut Brace, and lowering maybe 30mm?

Although had RARB suggested to me by another member on here already.

Anyone had any of the above fitted and noticed a diff?

Looking for any negatives aswell as positives :p

Want to make sure i do something worthwhile!

Many Thanks

Hawk :)

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
RARB makes a ridiculously good difference! You can feel the benefit straight away, even going round corners slowly.

Strut braces are ok, I've got front and rear ones on mine but didn't notice much benefit, maybe slightly when cornering hard. Lowering will definitely improve the handling, and look better too.

But recommend the RARB first

Dazz 1989

XBOX Live = DazzAbell89
Jan 28, 2010
Cannock
I got 35mm Apex springs from Damian, makes a huge difference also got a front upper strut made a slight improvement but looks nice in the bay! Also could look at wishbone bushes i hear the make a difference!

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
Hmm well that's food for thought, I was thinking front strut and lowering. But now I'm thinking the RARB will do more for the car than strut brace. So maybe RARB and lowering springs. . . . Any ideas on rough price I should be expecting for RARB?

Thanks for the replies

Hawk

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
Also I forgot to mention, as was posted above, do changing the bushes actually make a difference? As I saw some powerflex ones that were supposedly uprated for my car at a decent price.

Thanks

Hawk

Bean

Torque Junkie... Gimme mo
May 4, 2009
Portsmouth
I'm running front and rear strut braces, rear arb and lowered on KW coilovers and the car handles like a go kart.

Id recommend Lowering and the rear arb before anything else as these will make the most noticeable difference to handling.

havent really got any negatives with the setup I have at the moment other then the rear getting twitchy in the wet but thats my driving lol

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
make sure you get natched dampers with springs...got 50mm set from DPM...cant fault them on price or quality...bit firm but thats what you expect...

upper strut brace makes minimal difference..RARB is a big must

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
Yes, in response to your question regarding bushes. Using uprated bushes generally tightens the feel of the car up, they can increase road noise/make the ride a bit harsher though.

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
Cheers for all the info guys! Deffo know the order I want to do things now!

Has anyone actually done the cupra bushes? Just to gauge whether it's worthwhile lol

Many thanks

Hawk

Dec 3, 2009
Everyone says suspension is harder, but definately gives more confidence when cornering

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
Agreed, much rather it feel a bit harder/tighter than wooly in the corners. And yes, it's very popular. Most people have the upper wishbone bushes swapped with polybushes and the lowers with Cupra solid bushes, give a nice mixture of comfort and improved feel.

Nexus_french

Aug 16, 2009
Le Mans (France)
One question has there is a talk with the RARB!

If I'm with a 18mm ARB front, and with a 20mm RARB, will not the car would act funny while driving? it use to have a 19mm RARB, but now, you just find the 20mm one!
Because if there is, I might switch with a Cupra ARB up front