Why doesn't the leon have LED running lights?

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
That's the whole point of DRL's.....:doh::D

Yes I know, but the amount of Audi's I see rolling around with idiots behind the wheel wanting some attention.... it just adds to it imo. Whatever the safety idea behind it, they look tacky.

nickleon44

Apr 17, 2008
Going back to the original post, according to the 'Which' website -

a statement from the European Commission confirms that all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans now have to be equipped with Daytime Running Lights.
The move is a step to improve European road safety and to reduce energy consumption. The announcement states that cars being put forward for type approval must have daytime running lights from yesterday (February 7), but not current production models.

My underlining.

Kwok

Jan 9, 2010
The headlights look as though they have projectors. An idea for xenon conversions

The headlights look as though they have projectors. An idea for xenon conversions
But the Dectane lights specifically say that they're not for use with HIDs. I don't know if this is because it would melt/damage the housing or whether it's 'just' a regulatory thing and you'd be safe using HIDs. Either way, the upcoming MOT regs will probably render aftermarket HID kits a point of failure (unless you fit proper auto-levelling and washers)...

Kwok

Jan 9, 2010
I had a pair of hids on my arosa a few years back... They were cool, dont think it was a factory option back then, but it was well smart!

This Leon I got also came without xenons. Not even sure if I'm getting it back as its been in the garage a few times already. I've only had it a month.

It's just a thought if the car comes back running good. Then we may have some mods on the go.

Hamzilla

Feb 12, 2008
Watford, Herts
The move is a step to improve European road safety and to reduce energy consumption. The announcement states that cars being put forward for type approval must have daytime running lights from yesterday (February 7), but not current production models.

How does enforcing DRLs reduce energy consumption? Unless it means councils/government not having to turn on street lights because everyone has got DRLs?:confused:

nickleon44

Apr 17, 2008
"How does enforcing DRLs reduce energy consumption? Unless it means councils/government not having to turn on street lights because everyone has got DRLs?"

Yeah its a bizarre statement that made me look twice - apparently some Euro dim bulb reckons that by using the latest type of DRLs a car uses only 10% of the energy compared with using dipped headlights.

Here's the link:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/02/new-cars-to-be-fitted-with-daytime-running-lights-244280/

'Go figure' as they say in New York.

jaykicksass

2011 SEAT Leon SE 1.2 tsi
Jun 11, 2009
devon
"How does enforcing DRLs reduce energy consumption? Unless it means councils/government not having to turn on street lights because everyone has got DRLs?"

Yeah its a bizarre statement that made me look twice - apparently some Euro dim bulb reckons that by using the latest type of DRLs a car uses only 10% of the energy compared with using dipped headlights.

Here's the link:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/02/new-cars-to-be-fitted-with-daytime-running-lights-244280/

'Go figure' as they say in New York.

Yea but thats 10% more energy than what would be used if we didn't have them. Doesn't really make sense to me. If I think I need lights on, then I put them on.:blink:

nickleon44

Apr 17, 2008
I assume the equation went something like - cars and vans using dipped headlights in poor visibility during daylight hours use X units of energy, whereas using LED style DRLs permanently would only use X/10 units.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
i think the mk2 leon dont have them is because by the time the law comes into full effect the mk3 leon will be out
so no need for SEAT to waist R&D or money on the current car

Exactly! we can expect to see LED DRL's making the front of the mk3 Leon look like a Christmas tree and hundreds of posts about changing the LED's because they're not quite the right shade of bluey white :rolleyes:

I agree. It's reassuring to find that other people can be as cynical as me sometimes. ;)

That said, I'm a bit of a sucker for the right shade of bluey white myself - the new Mercs with properly colour matched 'xmas tree' lights on the front look nice IMHO. (I'd still never have a MB - even if I could afford one - though as the interiors feel very cheap and tacky relative to the cost!)

phippsy

Has anyone fitted the dectane or autoart drl led head lights?

does anyone have pics of these fitted? something I'm considering on my metallic grey leon.

on the subject of DRL's i think they are a good idea, make cars more visible to pedestrians without blinding other drivers.

Coops993

Dec 4, 2010
Not a fan of these day LE's that arepopping up everywhere either especially as it seems everyone is sticking the on their cars now having bought them from Halfords or wherever

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise