Good Upgrade Bulbs

Gray-IbizaFR

Looking for advice on bulbs for my ibiza. Got Ultra H7 Headlight and sidelights in just now but im not overly impressed.

I want to stay clear of the HIDS aswell due to the legality of them!

Had LED sidelights in my old fiesta but they started to flicker after a while aswell......

Any links/suggestions? :confused:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
HIDs are the best, I dont think you would have many problems aslong as they are aligned correctly - Obviously this may change next year with the new MOT checks coming in.

Aside from them, I'd probably go for Osram Nightbreaker Plus'. Not as good as HIDs imo, but they are an improvement over standard.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
As Mick said Osram nightbreakers are good, or philips xtreme are also good - I have them in my main beam.
Halfords do some good uprated bulbs too, I forget what they call them but they are on par with nightbreakers for performance... bit pricey though.

Don`t be tempted by 100w bulbs to achieve max brightness though mate, they`re just as illegal as hids and may cause problems because they run much hotter than the standard 55w.

Gray-IbizaFR

Cheers lads, thats alot of help. Yeah got told that a new legislation has been brought in that will fail your mot if you put HIDs in a headlamp which is made for standard halogen headlamps.

Any ideas for sidelights?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
There's some new xenons on the go as well just now, I just stuck a couple in my dip beams as one was popped. They seem ok but I'm not convinced they're 100% brighter. I used to have ultras in the past but found them to be not so good in the wet, something to do with the blueish tinge apparently. I know a lot of people use the hids but I was told that in order to get the best from them you need to use the full hid headlight as they have a different type of lens or something and you don't get the proper beam with just the kit but who knows.

Gray-IbizaFR

There's some new xenons on the go as well just now, I just stuck a couple in my dip beams as one was popped. They seem ok but I'm not convinced they're 100% brighter. I used to have ultras in the past but found them to be not so good in the wet, something to do with the blueish tinge apparently. I know a lot of people use the hids but I was told that in order to get the best from them you need to use the full hid headlight as they have a different type of lens or something and you don't get the proper beam with just the kit but who knows.

what do u have in your sidelights mate?

Deleted member 56597

+1 for the Osram Nighbreaker PLUS bulbs. Great improvement from standard and a whiter appearance. There a couple of photos on my readers ride thread comparing them to standard bulbs.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Just had a google and it seems these osram nightbreakers are the same thing as the xenon bulbs I've just put in but with a different name so that's another +1:D

baggies01

Can anyone explain the rules/legality regarding HIDS and the new checks that are coming in. I dont want to fork out only to have to remove them if i get pulled.:cry:

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
Can anyone explain the rules/legality regarding HIDS and the new checks that are coming in. I dont want to fork out only to have to remove them if i get pulled.:cry:

If you do a search on here you would find it.

This explains the legality of HIDs DOT - Aftermarket HID headlamps

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

This vid explains it very well YouTube - Illegal HID Convesion Kits Explained

The changes to the MOT regarding HID kits, etc was discussed in this thread http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=292341&highlight=MOT

Anyway, going back to the OP question about which headlight bulbs to get. I'd suggest either Philips Xtreme vision/power or Osram NightBreaker Plus. The old Nightbreakers had a reputation of doing just that, Breaking at night. I'd recommend buying them from Powerbulbs.com. I've got uprated bulbs in my car and you CAN tell the difference.

If you buy your headlight bulbs from either PowerBulbs or AutoBulbsDirect, you normally get a free set of sidelight bulbs.

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Another +1 for NightBreakers! I now run Philips BlueVision sidelights. They are a blue bulb that heats to 3500K and turns white. They look much better than the standard yellowish side lights.

Yip they yellowy standard side light things look pretty naff.

Dec 3, 2009
I have Philips Xtreme bluevision dipped beams and Ring 100W main beam, they're illegal but nobody see's your full beam as you turn it off when other cars approach, no problems for me :) shines much further than standard

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise