Whirring noise - help! :(

blizeH

May 12, 2008
Hi guys,

Got a problem with my Leon TDi SE - it suddenly (very suddenly when I started it up this morning) started to make a whirring sound (kinda like a powerball!) as soon as you go over 15mph.

My initial reaction was that it's a wheel bearing, since...

If you turn the engine off, it makes the same noise.
If you push the clutch in/change gear it makes the same noise.
The faster you go, the louder it gets.
If you turn left, the noise pretty much stops.

I got the wheel bearing changed earlier (front passenger) but it's still making the same noise. The mechanic I saw earlier said it needs to go into a garage as it's impssoble to fix without a proper ramp, getting the car up to a good speed and seeing exactl what's going on with it.

But I've already arranged to see another mechanic (my girlfriend's dad's mechanic) who does everything from home but apparently is really good at what he does too.

My question is firstly if anyone has any ideas what the problem could be, but also more urgently if it's worth me getting this guy to look, or if I'd be wasting my time and should just take it to a proper garage instead. Need to know asap so I can cancel this guy tomorrow (it's not really set in stone, just asked if he'd take a look)

Thank youuuus! :(

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
If it makes a noise turning left it's the driverside wheel bearing and if it makes the noise turning right it's the passenger side. If you've had the passenger side done the chances are that the driver side will fail pretty soon after. The reason it's louder one way is because the bearing has a single outer shell but has two bearing races inside and it's usually the outer bearing race that goes. Your gfs dad should manage fine and it's always good to have a second opinion.:)

blizeH

May 12, 2008
You're a star, thanks Seatmann! I did think it was the wheelbearing tbh but the mechanic assured me it worked in the opposite way to what you said (ie turn left, it's the passenger side that's wrong)

Gone away for the weekend (not anywhere near as nice as it sounds btw!) and have left the car with my gf's dad, and mentioned the above info, so fingers crossed :D Thanks again

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
It can happen that way apparently but I've never seen it myself and they tend to wear out as a pair. One goes and then pretty soon the other goes and you've already had the passenger side done so it's elementery my dear watson.:D

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Was it a wheel bearing? I have a really loud drone/rumble which goes away when I turn left and louder when I turn right!

Am I OK to do about 100 miles on the motorway? Booked my car in on Thursday but need to drive to work tomorrow!

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
It sounds like your left front bearing is gone but double check the other side just to make sure. You should be ok but don't drive to hard and fast and just listen out for it getting worse.:)

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
I did 60 all the way home on the motorway as it seems to be getting louder. I felt the wheel/brakes when I got back and they were cold so hopefully it hasn't got to the point of generating loads of heat. I'll have to leave extra early and take it easy on the inside lane :s

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.