Uprated Clutch Help

gardner

Hi,

Just had my mk4 ibiza cupra 1.9tdi remapped at Awesome.

End result was 194bhp and 398ft/lb of torque, will get graph uploaded shortly.

I have also got a full milltek exhaust system on the way (large bore downpipe and catalyst replacement with a cat back system) so power will be increasing slightly again.

So was just wondering what uprated clutches people have been using? As I am expecting my clutch to let go soon. Got a quote from Awesome of around £1100 for a helix clutch but don't really want to spend that much.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Elliott

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi,

Just had my mk4 ibiza cupra 1.9tdi remapped at Awesome.

End result was 194bhp and 398ft/lb of torque, will get graph uploaded shortly.

I have also got a full milltek exhaust system on the way (large bore downpipe and catalyst replacement with a cat back system) so power will be increasing slightly again.

So was just wondering what uprated clutches people have been using? As I am expecting my clutch to let go soon. Got a quote from Awesome of around £1100 for a helix clutch but don't really want to spend that much.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Elliott

I hope you ment 398 newton meters and not ib/ft :lol: or you car would fold itself in half.

Works out at just under 300 ib/ft. Ive got performance torque stage 1 on my cupra tdi, been on for over a year and the stock clutch doesnt slip, and i have properly abused it, tracked it, raped it off the lights etc. I would just keep stock clutch and start saving up a grand for either the helix or the sach kit.

gardner

haha no it is 398ft/lb of torque not Nm. Jim at Awesome couldn't believe how well the engine took to the remap/rolling road. Gained approximately 110 ft/lb of torque. Pulls like an animal now :D

I will get the graph uploaded to prove it this afternoon.

Are there any other cheaper options for the clutch? Surely got to be something that is rated to less horse power for less money.

Cheers

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
haha no it is 398ft/lb of torque not Nm. Jim at Awesome couldn't believe how well the engine took to the remap/rolling road. Gained approximately 110 ft/lb of torque. Pulls like an animal now :D

I will get the graph uploaded to prove it this afternoon.

Are there any other cheaper options for the clutch? Surely got to be something that is rated to less horse power for less money.

Cheers

Is it standard turbo?

No way is that torque figure correct dude. They have rolled that wrong, given you the wrong graph or you are confusing NM and ib/ft. If for some bizzare reason the torque figure is correct i would take it back as that is going to break something expensive.

Cg motorsports do a cheaper clutch kit, not sure what to make of it though.

jonny_mcc

Dec 21, 2009
Is it standard turbo?

No way is that torque figure correct dude. They have rolled that wrong, given you the wrong graph or you are confusing NM and ib/ft. If for some bizzare reason the torque figure is correct i would take it back as that is going to break something expensive.

Cg motorsports do a cheaper clutch kit, not sure what to make of it though.

CG motorsport uprated clutches are meant to be quite ****. do a search on here. loads of people have problems with them.

Just about to do a clutch on my pd130.

DM Flywheel £300
Helix organic clutch kit £550
Fitting £130 (mates rate :D )

job done.

dirk1978

Mar 25, 2009
Is it standard turbo?

Agreed. Mine was 202 bhp / 305 lb ft with some clutch slip from a good clutch. I said I didn't mind a bit of slip, it would convince me to get an uprated clutch sooner rather than later.

They may have completely spiked the torque though, whopping great lump in the middle that would make it undriveable. The bhp figure would support that as it seems they haven't worried too much about keeping power up top.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Agreed. Mine was 202 bhp / 305 lb ft with some clutch slip from a good clutch. I said I didn't mind a bit of slip, it would convince me to get an uprated clutch sooner rather than later.

They may have completely spiked the torque though, whopping great lump in the middle that would make it undriveable. The bhp figure would support that as it seems they haven't worried too much about keeping power up top.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I would be extremely suprised if Awesome have messed it up tbh, i reckon the torque is in NM. When i was at Awesome having my coilies and rarb fitted they seemed like an extremely well kitted out and proffessional outfit who i would recommend to anyone.

Need to this graph already.

gardner

Well the power and torque curves are smooth, there was a flat spot in the power curve so Jim at awesome smoothed it out.

The car was already running just short of 300ft/lb of torque, so gained around 110ft/lb after the remap. Definately feels like its got that sort of increase aswell. I'll get the graph up now for you to have a look at and see what you think.

I've drove the car pretty hard recently and not had any problems or clutch slip and manages to light up the wheels in 2nd, 3rd and 4th with eaze.

gardner

Here are the graphs:

remap.jpg

remap1.jpg

dirk1978

Mar 25, 2009
Here's mine for comparison:

remap0001.jpeg

remap0002.jpeg

As the PD160 is already a tuned PD130 they can't push them a lot further. 200bhp/300lbft is normally about the most they can reasonably get out of them.

Was this a custom map?

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
With 398lbft of torque I'd have thought that the standard clutch would have turned to dust by the time you got home!

I have around 300lbft and my clutch slips. I also suffered from the dreaded flywheel judder the other day so it looks like I need an uprated clutch and new flywheel :(

gardner

It was one of awesomes maps, but was tweeked a little.

Graph clearly shows it was running at 398ft/lb though not NM. Either way I am pleased with it

gardner

clutch is okay at the moment like, just make sure I don't try put my foot down until the revs are around 2k. Not had any noticeable clutch slip yet.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
With 398lbft of torque I'd have thought that the standard clutch would have turned to dust by the time you got home!

I have around 300lbft and my clutch slips. I also suffered from the dreaded flywheel judder the other day so it looks like I need an uprated clutch and new flywheel :(

I'm running about the same, and currently saving up for mine to be done, slips in 5th and 6th and flywheel wobble.

Enjoy it while it lasts, you'll be changing them soon anyway .....

gardner

yeh, not expecting it to last very long really. Can get a new clutch fitted for £80 so just need to start saving for a new clutch now. Not cheap like

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I would like to hear Awesomes explanation of that graph before i comment further. But if it was me i would take it back before you wreck your clutch, and turbo.

gardner

i'm not all that fussed over the clutch as I was expecting to have to change it once I had got the car remapped anyway. As long as the turbo doesn't let go though, its all good.