Going back to standard map - more MPG?

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
Had my FR tdi remapped for a few years now so cant really remember what it was like beforehand. What with the stupid diesel prices, would going back to the standard map save any money? Or can you get an "eco" map? Without sacrificing the fun of course

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
This comes up quite often, a remap is claimed to give better MPG if you drive economically. I think this is due to the settings being more adapt to UK conditions (dont quote me on this though).

You can get an eco map and with the likes of Revo or custom code their remaps are interchangeable, ie you can load a couple and select them. However I personally see no point in this as in reality you will likely just use one map anyway.

A search on this will bring up quite a bit and more importantly experiences from other users.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
The thing with that millers thing is doesnt the cost of the millers outway the saving anyway?

Guess it would defeat the point if it did and im just being tight and scepticle.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
The thing with that millers thing is doesnt the cost of the millers outway the saving anyway?

Guess it would defeat the point if it did and im just being tight and scepticle.

Makes you engine run a hell of alot better as well, cleans the **** out. Cost must be around £1 a tank full. Well worth it imho.

CJS-90

20vT Powahhhh
Sep 30, 2010
Clitheroe
I used to get MUCH better fuel economy with my mapped PD130 in my Fabia, than with the standard map. Not so apparent when you get the car mapped, but when you get the map removed, it's very apparent

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
i really dont think it would make enough difference to justify remapping. just keep the revs down and lift the accelerator...

youd only regret it anyway:doh:

if its makes you feel better i only get about 10mpg from my v8 landy

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Makes you engine run a hell of alot better as well, cleans the **** out. Cost must be around £1 a tank full. Well worth it imho.

I've used it for ages. It does make the engine run smoother and mpg does increase slightly. I bought 5 litres of the stuff for around £60 so it only cost around 60p per shot. I'm getting more than that back in the amount of fuel saved.

I can't see any point in unmapping for car unless you want to sell it. The car is a wheezy eunuch without it :confused:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I thought part of a remap was simply getting more efficient use out of the fuel, primarily for better performance but as a consequence it also runs more efficiently out of the power band. Try planning your gear changes to make the most of the peak torque (1500 rpm or something?) then you might see an improvement in economy that would still be more than an unmapped car.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Just drive more economically if your that bothered? You have a Car capable of over 60mpg when driven like a saint. I always found my old fr better on fuel after it was mapped anyway. I always ran it on vpower diesel or normal diesel with additive though.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.