Square Number Plates

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Yeah, if we get a hot summer (here's hoping...) and you do a lot of urban driving, these plates could leave you in the hands of the AA. Overheating hurts ! :(
If I recall correctly, there was a previous thread on here a year or so ago, and one guy got cautioned by the rozzers for his plate and had to show he had changed it back.

mid life fr

Square plates

I always thought that as long as the lettering is the right size and the right font it was legal some cars like evo's are supplied with them when new
As for causing over heating load of rubbish,most of the bumber where the plate is fixed it is solid plastic so it is not restricting the air flow.If it did restrict it a bit it would be no different to sitting nose to tail in traffic with no air flow then the fan kicks in
A lot more of the grill would have to be covered to make it overheat and not just the size of a square plate

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Google

square number plate goofy

on google images and the first six pictures may help ;)

Look like an ugly set of goofy buckteeth IMO and as mentioned it will do a grand job of interfering with airflow to parts that need airflow like engines, intercoolers etc.

Jedimaster65

Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I always thought that as long as the lettering is the right size and the right font it was legal some cars like evo's are supplied with them when new
As for causing over heating load of rubbish,most of the bumber where the plate is fixed it is solid plastic so it is not restricting the air flow.If it did restrict it a bit it would be no different to sitting nose to tail in traffic with no air flow then the fan kicks in
A lot more of the grill would have to be covered to make it overheat and not just the size of a square plate

Why do you think the fan will help ? It will just (try to) suck air in through a restricted intake area caused by blocking off part of the grille. I guess it depends on the size of the plate, but I wouldn't want to be doing any trackdays with one of those top-to-bottom big plates on, because your engine gets very hot and you don't want a big hotspot in the middle of your radiators...

Also Evo's have a lot more intake area and even then, many owners have a self adhesive plate on the bonnet.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Anybody know of the legality of smaller plates for 5 digit reg's? Correct font and spacing but just not as wide.

Not been able to find a supplier either.

Think DVLA has daft rules like they have to be screwed on also.. not sure on overall size.

gta081small.jpg

Mar 25, 2008
there is a place online sells them called craig plates

Thats where I got mines.

Admittedly I got them without the postcode lol. Got pulled a few times and the cops just said the spacing etc is fine and they aint gonna kill anyone by not having the postcode.

4570698211_5e7475984c_b.jpg

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Well I liked mine, moot point re the cooling (its deeper but narrower)
action0509091212.jpg

Couldn't make my mind up tho, so did swap it a few times!
40018e6c.jpg

Going saturday (car not number)

Jedimaster65

Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Hey Ken, that's a nice Cupra, love the colour.

Narrower square plate must harm cooling a bit less than some of the big square ones we have seen, trouble is, instead of looking like Bugs Bunny, in this case it's Gordon the Gopher ! :lol:

nicklaus27

Sep 1, 2009
i love my front square plate, think it looks miles better on the front of the BTCC front bumper than the long rectangular one.....as long as the font size and spacing is correct then plate wise you can have what you want...

John007

Apr 17, 2005
Cambs
I had a square plate on mine for about a Year and had no cooling issues.

Did change it for a std one last month which I think looks better.

Square one ditracts from the kit and as mentioned does make it look like bugs bunny.

Cupraboy4

CUPRA TDi
Mar 20, 2006
WEST MIDS
im goin to have square plates on mine, had them made by a proper car company (sureparts - redditch) so wont have no police issues as they are legal

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
Iv just had one made up for the front just havent fitted it yet. Im not sure on it yet though, but that maybe being use to a rectangular plate

Cupraboy4

CUPRA TDi
Mar 20, 2006
WEST MIDS
i think they look pretty gd tbh, they make the front look different, didnt really want my FR looking like everybody elses lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise