Lowering question

Richy!!!

May 14, 2008
Staffordshire
Hi guys,

I want to lower my 1.4 sportrider but i have a few questions about which kit to use. After looking at a few ibiza's on here to get a feel of how they look lowered i feel that 30-35mm isnt low enough for the look that im after. Obviously there are two choices, springs and shocks or coilovers. The coilovers are too expensive and overstretch my budget and for everyday use i think they wil be a bit overkill. I want it to handle slightly better but its mainly the "look" that im after. So i was considering a 50mm kit. The one i was going to go for is the supersport 50mm springs and shocks kit from DPM.
But i have another question which i need clarifying before i purchase them. There is the kit for 1.2/1.4 and then the kit for 1.4tdi/1.8T/1.9tdi. which have different axle weights...obviously due to the bigger engines... see below;

Ibiza 6L 1.2, 1.4 02/02>
Part Number: SU70N072
Front Lowering: 50mm
Rear Lowering: 50mm
Front Axle Weight: Up to 860kg
Rear Axle Weight: Up to 840kg

Ibiza 6L 1.4TDi, Cupra / FR 1.8T, 1.9TDi, 2.0 02/02>
Part Number: SU70N075
Front Lowering: 50mm
Rear Lowering: 50mm
Front Axle Weight: Up to 960kg
Rear Axle Weight: Up to 840kg

The question i need answering is... which would be the best type to go for?? The reason i ask is i do alot of trips to the coast with the car fully loaded up with camping gear, and i mean REALLY loaded up! lol So would the kit with the higher axle weight be the wiser choice to help support the extra weight in the car? (if this makes sense??) And would the other kit fit anyway!?!)

cheers

Richy!!!

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Morning,

Both kits have the same rear spring rating which is where the camping gear would be so it'll be best to stick to the correct kit for your car.

HTH

Damian @ DPM Performance

Richy!!!

May 14, 2008
Staffordshire
Morning,

Both kits have the same rear spring rating which is where the camping gear would be so it'll be best to stick to the correct kit for your car.

HTH

Damian @ DPM Performance

Thanks for the reply Damian,

Usually when the ibiza is lowered the rear is never as low as the front, so the extra weight would make the rear sit a bit lower but i would imagine the extra weight as a whole in the car would push the front down just a little bit more. Hence the reason I was thinking of putting the higher spring rating on the front.

I had a Focus 2.0 esp collection as one of my previous cars which was lowered 50mm on a Gmax spring and damper kit. This also sat lower at the front than the rear. The extra weight in the car caused the front wheels to rub on the arches when turning but the rear was fine with the extra weight. I just dont want the same to happen again. Obviously the answer is dont go so low at 50mm but 30-35mm i wont be happy with.

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
The extra load rating at the front for the bigger engines if to cope with the heavier diesel and 1.8T/2.0 petrol engines over the front axle i believe. Whilst the fromt may be pushed down a bit more, the majority of the loading would be dealt with over the rear of the car. I would advise (like Damian) to get the kit designed for your car or consider coilovers/a lesser drop as the higher load rating of the front springs possibly won't give you a true 50mm drop due to the lighter engine?

Richy!!!

May 14, 2008
Staffordshire
I dont mind the rear being lower with the wieght but the front i am bothered about. There are coilovers but its way over my budget. I have lowered a mk4 ibiza with 35mm apex springs and i know the drop they give, its not enough. Maybe a 40mm kit would give that "little" bit more but can i find one... nope!!!

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
I dont mind the rear being lower with the wieght but the front i am bothered about. There are coilovers but its way over my budget. I have lowered a mk4 ibiza with 35mm apex springs and i know the drop they give, its not enough. Maybe a 40mm kit would give that "little" bit more but can i find one... nope!!!
Spax do 45mm lowering springs. ScottHMk4 had a set fitted on his old 1.2 "Cupra". Looked low enough for me...

Dazz 1989

XBOX Live = DazzAbell89
Jan 28, 2010
Cannock

I agree 35mm is not low enough?!? It's mine he lowered by the way lol?!?

I think you would be ok with 50mm kit u showed me?!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2008
Wolverhampton
id go for the 50mm. i sometiems have to put my tools in the boot and on 50mm rears (which i think they are) the car hardly drops.

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
I have to agree that 35mm just doesn't seem enough.

Are these supersport springs half decent?

Richy!!!

May 14, 2008
Staffordshire
The apex 35mm lowering springs which I fitted to dazz's car are rated at 900kg instead of 860kg like the rest. And that's also for a 1.4! I'm going to go with my first decision and get the higher load rated ones as I know this will help the extra weight load and stop the front looking lower than the back which I don't like the look of. I like it to be an even drop all round.

Richy!!!

May 14, 2008
Staffordshire
Has anyone tried the JOM coilovers? Been searching the net for info on them, heard more good things about them than bad. I know you get what you pay for so not expecting the "best" ride quality but they have gotta be worth a try, over £450 for a few miles a day seems a bit overkill for me... £200 sounds better. Cheapest i can find them for is £180 delivered.

Has anyone fitted them to a mk4 ibiza? what are they like?!

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
We have the JOM kits in stock at the moment and they're selling very quickly for the Ibiza, great kit for the money.

Give me a shout if you want a price and I'm sure we'll be able to do something for you.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
Has anyone tried the JOM coilovers? Been searching the net for info on them, heard more good things about them than bad. I know you get what you pay for so not expecting the "best" ride quality but they have gotta be worth a try, over £450 for a few miles a day seems a bit overkill for me... £200 sounds better. Cheapest i can find them for is £180 delivered.

Has anyone fitted them to a mk4 ibiza? what are they like?!

Just fitted them to mine mate:

Before:

photo16.jpg

Just the rears (With no adjusters):

photo17.jpg

All done:

photo18.jpg

Not the best pics, but you can see the droppage. Keep in mind this is with a stripped rear. The fronts on that pic were wound about half way, where as now they're up as high as they go.

As for the suspension, I think it's great so for. Much comfier than the standard FR set up, seems to corner well, but I'll test it properly when my new drop links come.

Thats the other thing, even with them raised up to the top, the front ARB rubs a lot on the driveshaft, and makes a horrible noise when driving along! Shorter drop links are a must!

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
Thanks, I'm gonna get some 20mm spacers next.

I ordered the drop links from Awesome last night, DPM will probably sell you them if you ring