• Stage 2/2+ 30k+ no issues

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Stage 2/2+ 30k+ had issues

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

Tombstoneuk

Mar 5, 2010
Loughborough
There's been a few reliability issues that have surfaced recently so I thought I'd put together a thread to try and get some proper data on how reliable the cupra/fr engine is. From what iv seen it's mainly the cupra engine but I want to include the fr to see if they're having similar issues.
I know it's an enormous poll but I wanted to cover all bases and try and find any correlation with reliability issues.

If you aren't standard please put how many miles covered since your initial remap.

Just for info I'm stage 2 (will be plus in the next couple of weeks) and I've done 10k miles since my remap and had no reliability issues so far.

Last edited:

P33te J

09 Leon FR Petrol DSG - Stage 1. Less than 10000 and no problems but keeping an eye on clutches, every now and again I can hear a faint but quick screech when changing up. No noticeable effect though.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I know of quite a few failures now, and all in different states of tune. Not stating which tuners though (note plural).

One was fuel pump seal failure which thinned the oil out dramatically and wrecked the engine.

One was piston ring failure which did too much damage for the engine for it not to be replaced.

One had a head gasket fail which as I understand it was somehow relatively fatal.

One car had a blown head gasket and fuel getting in to the oil (not via fuel pump).

One had a head gasket failure possibly down to use of nitrous.

One blew a turbo which sent lots of parts in to the engine causing fatal damage.

One put a piston through the side of the block, but I dont have details of that one.

Will see if I can find others.

For what its worth, my 4000 old standard Cupra runs like a bag of ****, misifiring, coughing & spluttering, hunting at idle.

DandB

My other car
Jul 20, 2007
London
Cupra 07 Driven like its stolen - Stage 1 from new no problems. Stage 2+ from about 30k-42000k so far, no probs (Apart from water ingress into coil pack and new clutch needed due to revo 2+ power)

Poverty

Besides coil pack, leaking gearbox and a fulty wiring loom from the factory nothing engine wise. 20000 miles 12k of those stage 2 plus.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
i couldnt vote cause ive had problems at all the milages [:@]

4,000 miles new cylinder head (actually its had 2 the first one was faulty)
2 new full exhaust systems
4 new injectors
6 new coil packs
1 new fuel pump (engine cover came loose)
1 new engine cover
2 mafs
12 spark plugs last year
4 jacking point covers
1 new bonnet lining

now i have oil getting into my coil packs which is killing my spark plugs , i know of another cupra on here doing the same but in a more advanced stage than mine , i will let him post though.
there is a thread on golf forums Al might post the link where a lot of people are going through plugs like me and i think this oil leak is very common , no other warning signs except killing plugs and coil packs but not fataly just killing the performance so no fault codes , so dealers wont do nething or even recgoise the faults.

oh and my cars still not fixed SEAT still say its fine :censored:
if i remember anything else i will update.

Last edited:

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
2008 Cupra Standard spec 21k

Had few minor issues, nothing too major (usual bits - bonnet lining keeps coming loose, engine cover snapped 2 mounts, jacking cover loose on sideskirts, trouble getting into 1st sometimes, rattle from exhaust, slight stutter, has begun hunting for idle every now and then. Although that could be attribued to the induction kit fitted???)

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
I no of an audi S3 stage 2+ that went through several gearboxes and a new engine on less than 30k, it's back to standard now and apparantly being bought by "We buy any car.........:blink:
And an edition 30 on i believe no more than 30k miles

hamps_w

MK3 Leon FR 184
Apr 24, 2006
Bristol
14 month old FL Cupra. No problems other than the electric mirrors that fold when they feel like it and the CUP connector had to be changed as was playing out of one side.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.