Remapped and...

Apr 12, 2010
Car is an fr tdi pd130

Car is absolutely brilliant day to day but I gave it a good good thrashing over the weekend and...

Brakes are terrible... standard items in good nick, never faded em before but got epic fade this time

Clutch... developed a nasty judder when pulling away but has now resolved itself and bites better than before with improved feel?

Intercooler... obviously too small as after a good bit of maximum attack the car felt like it hadn't been mapped at all but absolutely fine if driven normally for a bit.

Overall it felt like the car was very close to what it could cope with, looks like money will have to be spent to sort it. What's everyone else's experience of giving a stage one pd130 some abuse?

Ideas on how to go about the brakes and charge temps would be welcome... I don't like the cost of an fmic, how about water injection? Brakes wise is it 312s all the way or will decent discs, pads and fluid sort it?

Car will mainly be a daily driver with odd moments of lunacy

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2009
never had any experience one what you mention with my diesel, I had driven hard sometimes but nothing compared to track abuse

upgraded pads & discs will be ok tbh, standard were fine for me xD

CJS-90

20vT Powahhhh
Sep 30, 2010
Clitheroe
Was always the same with my vRS, Except I suffered clutch slip rather than improved feel.

312's FTW.

FMIC FTW.

Do them and reap the benefits :)

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
you will get power fading away with the standard intercooler, but for short spells of full power it works fine. I truly understand how the power drifts away after giving it some for even quite short periods really. other than a FMIC i dont think there is much you can do? some new hoses/clamps might help with boost leakage
as for the brakes i find they are actually good enough. i was going to do the tt upgrade but then i bought nissan pathfinder which make the beezers brake feel solid, then i got an old landrover 101 with drum brakes all round which make the nissans brake feel capable. come and have ago heavy braking in the 101 then jump in the beezer and the brakes will feel alot better:D

pulling away hard in 1st and 2nd - might be helped with new engine mounts?? one of the jobs i want doing. well its on the list:whistle:

Last edited:

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Definitely TT brakes. My standard brakes were just about ok. I put the TT brakes on and they felt so much better. You know the feeling you got when you drove your remapped car for the first time? That's the same feeling you get when you slam your 312mm anchors on for the first time as well!!

They give you much more confidence and control. Haven't done te FMIC/clutch route so can't recommend anything else. My clutch is ok as I don't tear arse around.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Car is an fr tdi pd130

Car is absolutely brilliant day to day but I gave it a good good thrashing over the weekend and...

Brakes are terrible... standard items in good nick, never faded em before but got epic fade this time

Clutch... developed a nasty judder when pulling away but has now resolved itself and bites better than before with improved feel?

Intercooler... obviously too small as after a good bit of maximum attack the car felt like it hadn't been mapped at all but absolutely fine if driven normally for a bit.

Overall it felt like the car was very close to what it could cope with, looks like money will have to be spent to sort it. What's everyone else's experience of giving a stage one pd130 some abuse?

Ideas on how to go about the brakes and charge temps would be welcome... I don't like the cost of an fmic, how about water injection? Brakes wise is it 312s all the way or will decent discs, pads and fluid sort it?

Car will mainly be a daily driver with odd moments of lunacy

Still got the standard SMIC on my car but hopefully this will be getting replaced next week so I should have a good idea of any noticable difference whilst driving, I have heard people mention if you go down the Seat Sport FMIC route (which is widely regarded as the best you can get) and get the pipe work seperately then you are looking in the region of £550, which isn't too bad when you think about it.

Brakes wise I went from the standard 288mm kit to the 312mm and noticed a nice difference, stopping is much more assured now and feels a lot more capable of handling with the braking forces that are needed without fading quickly. For probably £700-750 you could sort out the brakes and FMIC if you shop around I reckon.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Your saying you need to sort it but don't want to pay for a fmic? You need to spend money to get a better performing car. Fmic will cost about the same as a water meth kit anyway and will be a fit and forget item.

312mm brakes can be had cheaply and well worth doing. Also to get the clutch slipping etc you can't be driving it with much sympathy. I never used to give my diesel full throttle until about 2k and it never slipped or juddered once. I'd also say better suspension is a must, even without a map. Standard is gash

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
150 bones for the 312 setup is a good price, did you get an FMIC on your old FR Scott? If so can you remember how much?

Apr 12, 2010
i'm not saying that i won't spend any money on a cooler its just that the mk4 tdi coolers aren't as reasonably priced as i'd like... i had a massive cooler on my old 200sx that makes the forge and seat sport ones look daft and all in including pipes it was £250 ish, just seems to be a premium attached to the mk4 tdi where the intercooler is concerned. Based on comments i've already sourced some 312mm brakes, will be fitting a rarb and i'm trying to figure the clutch out. one thing i didnt remap the car for was to drive like a granny everywhere however the clutch has been 100% since no slip and no judder at all.

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
one thing i didnt remap the car for was to drive like a granny everywhere however the clutch has been 100% since no slip and no judder at all.

Still, there is no need to drive it like you stole it 100% of the time. I do what scott-o suggests and don't give it the full beans till just over 2k and my clutch has seen 142k of driving (12k mapped) and is still pretty sweet.

Jun 21, 2008
Wolverhampton
i can't see the point, mike. i researched long and hard into it, and because of forges new uprated intercooler hoses, you can do it cheaply enough with the TB to IC cupra pipe, new boost pipe and a couple of silicone bits and pieces, its very easy to do. i did mine with seatsport cooler and forge hoses for les than £450, and the car feels way better for it.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
i can't see the point, mike. i researched long and hard into it, and because of forges new uprated intercooler hoses, you can do it cheaply enough with the TB to IC cupra pipe, new boost pipe and a couple of silicone bits and pieces, its very easy to do. i did mine with seatsport cooler and forge hoses for les than £450, and the car feels way better for it.

:) Oh yeah I agree with you, but he was just saying he wanted to do it on a budget!

Dec 3, 2009
I think people only go the SS route because nobody has worked out what pieces of hose to buy!

If someone worked it out you'd see a lot more people go that route :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise