Essential new owner mods/improvements??

Andy.Jeffries

Right then....

What should us new cupra/cupra r owners be doing first with our new cars?

I am thinking of what parts could do with cleaning / checking / replacing before we start the fun stuff like re-maps and DV's ;)

Cheers all :)

lengster

Check the fans work ok check the smaller one runs slowly when air con is on,ours was up the swanny with only 36k on it

supra

I'm also a new owner and here are the first things I did (in order).

Check and repair (if necessary) Secondary water pump (LCR only)

Check Alternator Pulley for wear, I had to replace mine.

Fabia Rear wiper conversion (OEM is carp)

HIDs - I fitted 5000K and they're about right (not boy racerish)

Matching LED side lights for the HIDs

Aero front Wiper Arm conversion (a must - I'm still searching as they're rarer than rocking hrse poo)

I'm about to treat myself to some nice detailing kit after I get a few bits done on the paintwork. After that probably spruce up the engine bay with some shiney bits :D

greganderson

Nov 16, 2009
Isle of man
i've just bought an lcr, 2004 47k on the clock full service history... gonna keep it standard for a while until i get used to the power after having cars with no more than 120hp :p

maybe visual stuff like paint the alloys and tints lights, things like that but nothing that'll make it go faster... yet :)

chrisr45

Jul 2, 2008
Middleton/Rochdale
I'm also a new owner and here are the first things I did (in order).

Check and repair (if necessary) Secondary water pump (LCR only)

Check Alternator Pulley for wear, I had to replace mine.

Fabia Rear wiper conversion (OEM is carp)

HIDs - I fitted 5000K and they're about right (not boy racerish)

Matching LED side lights for the HIDs

Aero front Wiper Arm conversion (a must - I'm still searching as they're rarer than rocking hrse poo)

I'm about to treat myself to some nice detailing kit after I get a few bits done on the paintwork. After that probably spruce up the engine bay with some shiney bits :D

Mine has Aero wipers on when I bought it, Thought they were standard?

supra

Mine has Aero wipers on when I bought it, Thought they were standard?

Nope, you're just one of the lucky ones!

I drove 400 miles in terrential rain soon after I bought mine and the standard wipers are about the worst of any car i've owned! :) Hence the mission to upgrade. I've emailed about 15 breakers on ebay today so hopefully one will come back with a set.

To add to the list above I've also purchased a cheap ebay cable for VCDS lite. Always worth knowing whats going on under the hood without paying stealer prices.

Andy.Jeffries

I have been looking through lots of posts and people have been mentioning MAF cleaning, Throttle cleaning and reseting, basic improvements so it would seem?

Also a Forge DV looks like a good investment?

supra

Supra where did you get your HIDs from mate?

Got mine off Fleabay, not the cheapest ones going but they had nice silicone insulation and they did a range of colour temps. Item number 330492494987

The Side lights I followed a link in the FAQ on here but they were out of stock so I found a cheaper alternative which was nice :) Google Carmodshop and search for "Pure White High Power LED 501/W5W/T10 Sidelight bulbs"

the HIDs are a great improvement on the standard halogens although when fitting HIDs as mentioned in here lots of times set them up properly. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Nope, you're just one of the lucky ones!

I drove 400 miles in terrential rain soon after I bought mine and the standard wipers are about the worst of any car i've owned! :) Hence the mission to upgrade. I've emailed about 15 breakers on ebay today so hopefully one will come back with a set.

To add to the list above I've also purchased a cheap ebay cable for VCDS lite. Always worth knowing whats going on under the hood without paying stealer prices.

If you are just after the wiper blades in aero form, you can get them off ebay from 'Redline' for about £8 all inc for bth front ones. Done 20K miles with mine, and they even made it 1300 miles from Bournemouth to Inverness and back in the worst snow scotland has had in around 40 years.

sye

Jan 26, 2011
Manchester
Well I've had mine for nearly two weeks now and the modding has begun.

Front aero wipers fitted.
Bluetooth kit fitted
Active phone cradle fitted.

Cleaned VNT actuator
Blanked off egr vac pipe.
Diesel and air filter fitted.
Fixed rear washer common leak on the elbow in the boot area.

Will be fitting Fabia rear wiper tomorrow.
Ordered tuning box which should arrive weekend.
De-badge weekend probably.
Oil and filter.

Will also order new number plates without the blue UK/GB whatever flag on them.
I think they look crap. Plain plates with a pinstripe border with LEON in small writing centre bottom. I always change the number plates, even though these ones are brand new.

I fancy some 16 or 17 inch rims. No rush for them though as the tyres are very good on the 15s that are currently on it.

Maybe a cut, polish and wax at the weekend if the weather holds.
I really enjoy driving it. It definitely feels more than 90bhp and 200lb/ft though.

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
I love the list there Sye! Looks as if you have big plans already.

My mods can be seen in this build thread: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=299823

Already fitted are: W8 light, cruise control, arm rest with built in cup holders, s3 steering wheel, TT Pedals, shark fin aerial, tinted windows.

Already purchased and waiting to be fitted are: Decat, EGR Delete, Fabia rear wiper, reversing camera, flip up screen, 12v socket for boot, hard wired sat nav power cable.

Other plans are: Remap, new wheels, white footwell lights with door opening, red footwell lights with sidelights on.

Pyro

My advice to the newbies would be

Clean and reset throttle body
Check all boost and vac hoses
Clean MAF (not a must tho)
Clear air filter if open cone if standered get a nice new one
Change plugs and coil packs (coil packs always go)
New oil and filter
If you can take off sump and clean oil pick up as it's common to block and damage the head

Then
Get forge 007p diverter valve
Bypass N249
Replace boost and vac pipe with new silicone ones (kits available)
Coilovers
Downpipe
Turbo back exhaust system
Remap

Then have some fun :D

supra

My advice to the newbies would be

Clean and reset throttle body
Check all boost and vac hoses
Clean MAF (not a must tho)
Clear air filter if open cone if standered get a nice new one
Change plugs and coil packs (coil packs always go)
New oil and filter
If you can take off sump and clean oil pick up as it's common to block and damage the head

Then
Get forge 007p diverter valve
Bypass N249
Replace boost and vac pipe with new silicone ones (kits available)
Coilovers
Downpipe
Turbo back exhaust system
Remap

Then have some fun :D

Sam, Good advice there. I'm limited, as I'm sure a few owners are, in that I'll be keeping the car mostly standard. Partly because the missus doesn't like modding and partly because It's sometimes harder to sell-on a car thats been tinkered with.

Out of your list I'd pick everything apart from Remap, Exhaust, Coilovers & N249.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
My suggestion would be to drop the sump and check/change the oil pick up line.

Oil starvation = bad times ahead

Check wheel nuts, tyres and brakes

Check oil level, if not doing above.

Check all fluids

Check tyre pressure is at 33 PSI, one of the best handling mods you'll do.

Then enjoy the other things above once you know everything 'important' is good ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members