YOUR OPINION - tuning box for cupra TDI

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Kidderminster West Midlands
Have a standard ibiza cupra tdi -160

was thinking about buying a tuning box to increase its power to around 190bhp, so i can have some fun time to time

A remap + new clutch + insurance = Cant afford to

Like the idea of the box being easy on, easy off if you get what i mean . . . ;)

know how people feel abouth these overall but thought i would ask

will a tuning box still destroy the clutch eventally :cry: as well as mess the car up in other places (e.g smooth running of the car)

should i just avoid them completly or are they ok ?

thanks all in advance, if you have ever used a tuning box please tell me how you found yours. :)

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Get a proper map.

I've had my Performance torque stage one map on my Cupra tdi for about 16k now. Several track days, smoking starts, isle of man etc etc :lol:

Clutch still doesnt slip, and the performance is very good.

Dec 3, 2009
you don't have to floor it all the time remember xD

and I promise you would never take it off, crazy how much 30bhp would make

si2252

i bought a second hand tunit box off here and fitted it to my tdi 100.

worth every penny

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
It is tempted, had one on my ibiza tdi sport 110 (got it to around 130bhp)

eventally clutch went along with wheel bearings (poss due to millage, dont know)

Also made the engine slutter at low speeds in traffic

Dont want the same to happan to my cupra tdi, also the extra power will surely killl the clutch wont it ?

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
It is tempted, had one on my ibiza tdi sport 110 (got it to around 130bhp)

eventally clutch went along with wheel bearings (poss due to millage, dont know)

Also made the engine slutter at low speeds in traffic

Dont want the same to happan to my cupra tdi, also the extra power will surely killl the clutch wont it ?

Did you read my post?

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
If you're concerned about the clutch, don't boot it until past 2k rpm, when unless you're climbing a vertical hill/destroying a Saxo/Corsa/Clio at the lights you'll be off the clutch anyway!

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
I sure did Kahn, truth is cant take a remap of your car if needed to (dont want to tell insurance as they will murder me for more cash or just throw me of their system !

Remap no dought is better than a tuning box, just cost more and a new clutch would be needed with all that extra power eventally

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I sure did Kahn, truth is cant take a remap of your car if needed to (dont want to tell insurance as they will murder me for more cash or just throw me of their system !

Remap no dought is better than a tuning box, just cost more and a new clutch would be needed with all that extra power eventally

You sound like an expert on tuning, so just go with the box. [B)]

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton

No it wouldn't my FR is mapped to 175bhp and is on 142k on the OE clutch and many many Cupra's on here are mapped on the standard clutch. It would only wear out if you were giving it some serious abuse.

But then, if you aren't going to declare a map/tuning box, then why not go the whole hog and map it, uprate the clutch and just not tell you insurance - as Kahn said, you're the expert :whistle:

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Ha Ha you too are legends :), what i meant is it only takes 5 mins to take the box off the car, where taking a remap off and pretending the car dosnt have a uprated clutch could be difficult to hide from the insurance.

prob wont bother anyway too many downsides with these tuning boxs.

Have you both told your insurance of your mods\ power increase

if yes did it cost you both alot more

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
I have declared everything cos its really not worth the risk of voiding the insurance. I was 20 when I had mine mapped and had a panel filter added at the same time and it added £50 to my policy for the year - cheaper this year due to NCB.

Much cheaper than risking the fine/ban/points for no insurance or the cost of having to pay for repairs etc should you be in an accident. Not declaring really isnt worth the risk

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Just a strut brace i need to declare, but my insurance say no mods unless 25+ so if i ring up i will have my policy terminated

Shouldnt of bought one but just couldnt resist, blends in so well under the bonnet if your car is Red :)

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
Seems if you're set on not declaring mods for whatever reason then you may as well do the whole lot, cos you are never gonna get a payout if you have an accident - even just a strut brace will void your insurance. You would do better to save money/gather parts and change insurers for next time so you can fit your mods.

But it's your car at the end of the day - so do with it what you will, but don't be surprised if you end up with a big bill somewhere along the line.

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Who are you insured with out of intrest they sound good for you.

never know what voids insurance and what doesnt

car has a after market radio and a boost gauge fitted as well as basic things like cupra car mats, alluminium vent rings, areo wipers, metal tax disc etc

Insurance companys are pricks in my opinion always looking to get more money out of you, dont even drive my car fast and the strut brace has made my car handle better and made my car safer round corners (not speeding) have 4 ync and they still charge me over £1000,

got no respect for them, always ripping good, careful drivers off

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Im insured with Sky insurance, all mods declared. With sky mods declared was £400 quid cheaper than direct line with no mods... work that out :lol:

I am 25 though.

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
I'm with admiral and I'm paying £550 all mods declared on my FR - and I'm 21 with 4 year ncb. Find them to be pretty good tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Try Adrian Flux for a quote. All my mods declared and its around £340 protected no claims. I am 39 though but live in a Liverpool postcode (ouch).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.