My Mk2 Ibiza GTi 20VT Track Car Project *The end is here*

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
How did the track day at Brands go?

Not too good! It was a bit wet, so the track was really slippery. Coming out of the pits for the first time (with cold tyres, but still at a very slow speed) saw the car going sideways down Paddock Hill Bend. I managed to get it back straight, but slightly over-corrected it and was heading to the gravel. I somehow recovered it before it went in, but it knocked my confidence for a while. It was red flag after red flag all day, then the Ibiza sprung an oil leak so I gave up. So many cars were in the gravel, and two ended up rolling on Paddock Hill too, so I think I got off lightly!

On the plus side, the seats are awesome and offer so much support on track. I'll be looking at better tyres for the next one too.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Two rolled at Paddock? Nasty...

I've spun as a passenger on Paddock in a friend's stripped Saxo VTS before now, both of us giggling like mischievous children. Touch wood not had any incidents myself though, and both days were pouring wet for me also.

It's all experience though and just be glad it came home in one piece :)

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Finally got some workshop time today, so I managed to swap my wheels back on to the Super T's.

At Brands Hatch on the 26th of last month, the car developed an oil leak so I aimed at finding the fault today. Annoyingly, everything seemed okay, so I think it may only be doing it under load. I'll be keeping an eye on it over the next week and see what happens.

The radio facia has been under construction for some time, but I finally got a bit more work done on it today! (Sorry for the poor quality pictures!)

bbcc7712.jpg

The plan is to fibreglass the din pods into place, then I will paint it to blend it in a little. I'll be adding an oil pressure gauge too.

Last night, a truck in front of me hit a fox and threw it under my car, smashing my drivers side skirt. So I'm now on the look out for one of those too!

b68e7821.jpg

I also sold my daily Ibiza last weekend to make room for an estate. This popped up locally and was a steal at the price I got it for.

DSC_0189-2.jpg

Thanks!

K03heco

This is the most epic MK2 I've ever seen.... If I ever built one (and had the money) I'd make it like this. Great job, epic thread I almost read all 46 pgs ;)

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Update time:

Not much done to the car recently. I did a bit more work to the facia panel before the track outing in May at the BHP show at Lydden Hill. Here's a few pictures from the day:

Screenshot2011-07-27at215604.png

Screenshot2011-07-27at215655.png

Sadly, I still had a few oil related issues, so the car came off the road to get this sorted. After a bit more thinking, and I've now decided that I will be breaking the car for spares. The body work is getting a bit tatty, and It would cost a lot to put right, along with everything else that still needs doing. I will be starting to strip parts off this week, and will also be looking so sell the Vario to buy one car that I can use as a daily and still have a bit of fun on track with. The running costs of two cars, as well as saving for a house is a bit much.

So I really wanted to say thanks to anyone who has helped along the way with parts or advise, and a massive thanks to Ben for doing the conversion in the first place. Without him it wouldn't have been possible.

I'll still be within the VAG group with the new car though :)

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Aww no way :cry:. Thats a bummer :(.

But if needs must mate then it has to be done. You will of had loads of fun in the Ibiza.

Look forward to seeing what you get next.

What wheels are those in the pics above??

I might be interested in some bits and pieces.

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Yeah it has been great, but I really need something a bit more sensible now. Having it sitting on the drive doing nothing isn't rubbish, and I don't want to pay the money on the bodywork, just for it to sit outside and get rusty again.

They are Compomotive MO's, that I had as track wheels. Possibly my most favorite wheels ever!

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Thats a shame mate but I understand how your feeling :(

Keep thinking about chopping mine in but I think its going to be a more long term project now I have my own garage.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Sad news indeed mate :( but as we've already said it's pointless having all that money tied up rusting away on the drive.

Good times were certainly had with it and i'm sure it'll live on in a mixture of cars ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members