Clouds of white smoke when cold..

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Hi Guys,

Ive got a Seat leon tdi 2.0 sport (40k) 56 plate and on when starting the car this morning plumes of white smoke emerged from the exhaust in great clouds!!

I have checked the water and oil, all fine.. Also checked water for bubbles (head).

Smoke clears when engine is warm.

I have also been having a problem with going into limp mode recently with error code: 16618. Before it goes into limp mode it shudders when acellerating near max boost.

Could these 2 problems be related?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

D

Last edited:

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Is it possible that white smoke when cold is something to do with the turbo?

From doing a bit of reading the 16618 suggests, sticky vanes, loss of boost pressure (leak), or dodgy wastegate control valve?

D

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Is it hard to start? Does it sound rough when you start it? If it's only smoking at idle then the glow plugs are more than likely at fault.

If you are getting this driving a long i'd be more concerned, if it were sticky vanes you'd expect to see black smoke as the fuel partially burns due to the lack of air. White smoke is either antifreeze or the fuel not burning at all

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Funnily enough it is quite rough starting, starts frst time but almost struggles.

It smokes for about 10 mins driving, then disappears once engine is warm, no power loss unless I put foot down going up a hill then shudders and goes into limp mode.

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Sorry guys, I guess i must be mixing the 2 up..

I assume its burning something off during warming up, but what? was told today that the shudder was actually a misfire, so possible injectors/fuel filter change required?

D

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Well if it's steam (I expect it is) it comes from hot exhaust gasses exiting out to the cold air. (the same as your breath on a cold morning)

If you're not loosing any fluids and you don't have any sludge in either your water or your oil I wouldn't worry.

You could video it and host the video on Photobucket and we can all have a look and tell you for sure.

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
I agree with Nath, sounds like steam. If your fuel consumption hasn't gotten worse and you haven't lost any power i wouldn't worry about it. Be nice to see a video of it though

damondavies

Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for the responses guys, I will see if i can get a video taken in the morning when its starting from cold.

Math I think we are going to try and get hold of an n75 valve to try out, all trial an error at the moment with that issue :(

D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.