Petrol Smell On idle On A TFSI

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
I seem to have a Petrol smell only when the car is on idle :(It is coming from the engine bay but I cannot see any leaks the car runs fine and does'nt misfire .
Can anybody shed some light on possible places to check or is a trip to the dreaded stealers:)

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I could smell fuel abit from the pump area after letting the car idle for about 20mins to dry out a damp carpet. You had to be right up at the pump though.

After a quick run and a sniff check, the smell was gone.

Last edited:

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
The Mystery deepends :confused:the smell disapeared just before I booked the car in and guess what they could'nt find a leak :doh:
They had the car up on a ramp and let it tick over for 10 mins NOTHING :(I thought it had gone .................no chance it has came back :censored:

The smell is in the car on tick over I have looked under the back under the bonnet and cannot see or smell any petrol :shrug:so what next:confused:

YIN

Leon cupra Mk2
Oct 6, 2003
Dudley
www.futuremark.com
i had a smell of petrol and this was the culprit pipe goes to the top of the charcoal filter was not completely broke just split

IMG00099-20110206-2149-1.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
i had a smell of petrol and this was the culprit pipe goes to the top of the charcoal filter was not completely broke just split

IMG00099-20110206-2149-1.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

Thanks yin thats another place for me to look :Dthe really strange thing is you can only get the smell in the car :confused:and only when you stop ................Steve:D

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
Well been out and has a look and all the pipes going to the charcoal filter seem ok but the smell comes from where the filter pipe joins the bulkhead it goes into some form of junction and that is where the fumes are bad .It must be a breather pipe split or we would have petrol pissing everywhere :(

Yeah, I have to say I've had a few days in the past where I've had the smell in the cabin. I'm guessing the dealers would have you checked your PCV valve? It could be one of the pipes connecting to it or the PCV itself developed a crack somewhere? Does it alter when you have cool air or hot air blowing in the vents or more apparent when the fan speed is increased? Does it even come from the vents of is it coming from the footwell etc?
Can't you do a smoke test on it to see if anything is escaping vacuum wise?

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
Yeah, I have to say I've had a few days in the past where I've had the smell in the cabin. I'm guessing the dealers would have you checked your PCV valve? It could be one of the pipes connecting to it or the PCV itself developed a crack somewhere? Does it alter when you have cool air or hot air blowing in the vents or more apparent when the fan speed is increased? Does it even come from the vents of is it coming from the footwell etc?
Can't you do a smoke test on it to see if anything is escaping vacuum wise?

where is the pcv valve situated

where is the pcv valve situated

At work so can't really get pics on to show you. But found this pic of engine bay without the cover... http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/wm.php/images/neua3intake1.jpg

Basically it is a black plastic disc shape (below the E & U in NEUSPEED on the above photo)

It has a pipe with a plastic connector going into it and then and there is also a mounting plate that is fixed onto the engine block that runs below paraellel with the NEUSPEED lettering.... sorry can't me much help. Can mark up a drawing when I get home unless another member can help with this in the meantime.

If the smell is not too obvious and all the time then I would leave it be or pursue with the dealer if it is still affecting you. Like I say I've had days in the past where I have had the unburnt fuel smell in the cabin.

Hope you get something sorted. I had a smoke test on mine and nothing was apparent leak wise.

grayredtoledo

any chance anyone got further with this? i've got it only when i have the heater on hot or cold gets worse when sitting in traffic

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.