stuttering under acceleration

Skii

Jul 14, 2007
Slough
Hi peeps

More issues with my lemon (sorry I meant my 2004 FR TDI) [:@]

Under heavy acceleration I can feel what seems like clutch slip but its almost like I'm lifting off in tiny increments as I accelerate , I don't think its clutch slip because the clutch isn't even a year old and the gear box and clutch were stripped last month and checked. (Car isn't remapped either )

Best description is it feels like the car is stopping accelerating for a series of microseconds

Any clues ? :cry:

Goz

running on the dark stuff
Oct 28, 2004
North Hampshire
Hi MJ,
I had a post a few weeks ago which I mentioned the the car made a shudder when I turned the ignition of and you mentioned the antishudder valve. What fault with the ASV would cause this? I have cleaned the EGR already but am also getting stutters when driving at over about 1500 rpm and lots of black smoke when accelerating hard (dirty turbo?).

cheers

sssstew

Editing your spelling
skii - if its under heavy acceleration then i would probably rule out EGR as that only works on light throttle. This could be a boost or MAF related issue, get it on VAG COM and log boost and MAF requested vs actual and see what its doing.

GOZ - you have a few symptoms there. if you have an engine shudder at shutdown then its likely a faulty ASV, just swap it out, its a small electric valve at the back of the EGR, its not maintainable. If you have stutters and black smoke when driving then this sounds more like a turbo issue, you need to log the boost and see what its doing.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Try fitting the £2 Skoda Gasket to the EGR that solved stuttering issues i had with my 2008 PD170 Leon! i know its a long shot but for £2 you carnt really go wrong

Skii

Jul 14, 2007
Slough
skii - if its under heavy acceleration then i would probably rule out EGR as that only works on light throttle. This could be a boost or MAF related issue, get it on VAG COM and log boost and MAF requested vs actual and see what its doing.

Cheers Stew, thanks for the advice - will do :)

Skii

Jul 14, 2007
Slough
hi guys

I thought I'd update this topic with the cause of the problem - Tesco diesel.

The problem lasted as long as the full tank which I didn't refill untill the fuel light came on, filled up from the local Murco and the problem vanished, haven't had a stutter since.

Anyone else had a dodgy tank of diesel before ? :eek:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members