PD170 Stuttering Problem Solved

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
ive just found this i searched for 1.8 20V EGR on google and this came up

EGR%20Diagram.JPG

If that is a Diagram of the 1.8 20V then you need to replace item 7 at the TOP near the EGR, I see 7 is at the bottom aswell you could replace that aswell not sure what it would do

LOU ROB

Jul 22, 2007
Anglesey
This is a PD engine fix its for the 2.0 PD170 & PD140 but...... its for the PD130,PD160,PD150,PD100, ETC ETC ETC aswell

Sorry, my bad, didn't realise that the 170 was also a PD.
But yeah, this was a fix I did on my ibiza cupra tdi a few years ago. I was also going to do it on the vrs, but don't need to now.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Even if you aint got the Stutter it would still be worth doing it Reduced EGR means lower intake temeratures

Im gonna go for a full Race EGR Removal soon

Snews

Thats absolutley great!!! thanks for finding that - much appreciated. Like you say, its worth doing anyway, just to eliminate it.

paulfs

Nov 10, 2009
New Forest, HANTS
Brilliant - this has been bugging me for ages, I thought my stuttering was my driving style or the blasted dpf regen'
I'm onto SERE tomorrow for this - cracking post :)

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Hi

I've got this modified gasket but haven't got around to fitting yet.

My car hasn't had the stutter issues for a while but does still suffer with warm starting problems & wondered if this gasket change would help?

Problem is that, when car has been driven & up to full temp, if you then park up, turn off engine & then try to restart within couple of mins it struggles to catch. Once it is running, it is fine though.

Car in for service on Friday & will ask them to fit modified gasket if you think may help. If not not, is it worth fitting anyway & what would it achieve?

Thanks

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Even if you aint got the Stutter it would still be worth doing it Reduced EGR means lower intake temeratures

Im gonna go for a full Race EGR Removal soon
Remember removal the EGR you will lose the ASV so nothing to choke engine when shutting down in the event of a runaway.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Remember removal the EGR you will lose the ASV so nothing to choke engine when shutting down in the event of a runaway.

What do you mean by runaway jonjay? I was under the impression that the only adverse effect would be a wibble wobble when turning the engine off as like you say, you lose the ASV.

And yes i have the gasket, so the PD130 is two thumbs fresh for the fix.

Jimski

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
What do you mean by runaway jonjay? I was under the impression that the only adverse effect would be a wibble wobble when turning the engine off as like you say, you lose the ASV.

And yes i have the gasket, so the PD130 is two thumbs fresh for the fix.

Jimski

if for some reason the engine decides to start to rev on its own i.e if it finds another fuel source (oil from the engine if the turbo pipe seals burst for example) then when you turn off the ignition off this will choke the engine of air and close it down - thus preenting serious engine damage.

its quite unlikely if im honest, its the sort of thing that happens to **** cars, mainly fords :lol:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
i took mine off on my leon.

the main purpose of the ASV is to just give a nice smooth engine cut off when the ignition is turned off, otherwise it judders to a hault.

you'll find that if your ever unlucky enough to be in the position of having a car over run itself that the best thing to do is bang it in 5th, foot on the break and try to stall it.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
yeah i hear you maz, i've come across it a few times - a few minor incidents where some easy-start has collected in the intake and raised the revs uncontrollably etc but i had one major mishap involving a 3 year old mondeo, a shitty tuning box and a buggered turbo that almost threw a leg out of bed and filled the street with smoke!!!

(i almost filled my pants aswell)

Seanus

EGR gasket

Sorry everybody not been on here for a while.

Problem i had was Stutter when pulling off in 1st, And after a good blast it would tick over fast
and sound like it did when it needed a DPF regeneration.

Ok got the EGR gasket from Seres Motors, really quick came the next day and cost me £3.
Only takes 5mins to change. Two tourqe bolts, my old gasket was stuck so left it there and put the new one in with it. just in case it didn't work or it threw a fault light on the dash board.
Got to say cant believe it works. All of the above Problems have not happened since And no fault lights.
And before i was getting 250 to 270miles from 30litres, And now im getting 300+miles to 30liters.
What a bonus.:happy: