Violent juddering!

Donny Boy,

Where I have all coils lined up the left one corresponds to the top port in photo 1 (or the left most hole when looking at the block.
The rustiest looking port (no4) had a one of the shinest ignition coils!?

Rob,

I gave them a clean up and the only one now that doesn't look shiny is number 3... for some reason the orange / rust / burnt colour will not budge and the end looks a bit charred!

Im going to swap plugs this eve to how that goes.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Donny Boy,

Where I have all coils lined up the left one corresponds to the top port in photo 1 (or the left most hole when looking at the block.
The rustiest looking port (no4) had a one of the shinest ignition coils!?

Rob,

I gave them a clean up and the only one now that doesn't look shiny is number 3... for some reason the orange / rust / burnt colour will not budge and the end looks a bit charred!

Im going to swap plugs this eve to how that goes.

i think that could be from oil on the tips and getting damn hot mate.
you going to pull the plugs this weekend?

just 1 thing the outside condition does not always reflect if a coil has gone bad.
i had a coil go and it looke brand new.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
was thinking yesterday , have you actually done a run and logged missfires ?
will give you a better indication which coils , cylinders plugs will have a problem?

you might find you have missfires on othercylinders which are not as frequent and wont show a fault code , these will show up when the engine has the biggest load placed on it

I had this problem about two weeks ago on my Altea FR TFSI DSG, and until you sort it everything runs through your head.

I couldn't understand how it was fine on the way to work then started the car to go home and the juddering began. When I pulled out the coils water had been getting in coil 1 so I replaced that as it was all rusted but this didn't sort out the problem, then I replaced all the spark plugs, again still had a problem.

Finally I managed to find my VAG-COM cable and it turns out it was cylinder 4 misfiring. Luckily I hadn't thrown the coil from cylinder 1 so I put that back and the new one in 4 and we were good to go, but talk about a headache and a lot of running around to get it sorted.

I think it might have had something to do with water as I removed my engine cover about a year ago to fit a EVOMS intake and now the coils are a bit exposed, I just bought a spare engine cover from ebay to hack so fingers crossed it never happens again.

Hope you get yours sorted first time, god bless VAG-COM:)

Truant 2000 mate.

I just had a look now at the spark plug on the right when looking at the engine (is that 1 or 4?) anyway pulled the coil out and it's really rusty. And the spark plug is totally submerged in water!!!! now, I've got a cloth into it soaking up the water.

IS THIS THE RIGHT THING TO DO? ? ? Any suggestions on other ways of getting the water out of the chamber? guessing if I took the spark plug out then id let water into the cylinder which I imagine is a no no? Was hoping to get plugs swapped over today.

Cheers if you can help... it never seems to be simple!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Truant 2000 mate.

I just had a look now at the spark plug on the right when looking at the engine (is that 1 or 4?) anyway pulled the coil out and it's really rusty. And the spark plug is totally submerged in water!!!! now, I've got a cloth into it soaking up the water.

IS THIS THE RIGHT THING TO DO? ? ? Any suggestions on other ways of getting the water out of the chamber? guessing if I took the spark plug out then id let water into the cylinder which I imagine is a no no? Was hoping to get plugs swapped over today.

Cheers if you can help... it never seems to be simple!

bummer mate , you need to do what ever it takes mate to get rid of the water , i would use a cloth rather than tissue , you dont want bits of soggy tissue falling off and entering into your cylinder when you remove the spark plug so i think you have the right idea.
if the waters that bad then i would get a turkey baster and try and suck the water up with that !

not sure why you are getting water in cylinder 4? its usually cyliner 1 that gets water in it iirc.
would be interested to know what your plugs look like.

yeah total bummer, I went on the MK5 GTI forum and noticed some correspondence between TFSI Mike, maybe DanGB and someone else from here talking about water in cylinder 4? Hmm... I have no bonnet lining on mine... wonder if it's contributing to the water getting in? Surely this is a leon or tfsi engine design fault? The bonnet lining isn't there to soak up water so it doesn't go into your coilpacks!!!!????

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
This is why I keep my Bonnet Lining on... I did remove it before but it did cause water to do into cylinder port 1 and basically killed my coil pack aswell at the same time. (It was removed for about a week until I started seeing issues.)

It could be a leak from the washer jets (seals?) or the seals on the plastic panel?

Anyways back to subject is your car back on the road or are you still having issues? when I had water in the cylinder I was a bit shocked but had some advice from Dan and soaked up water with cloth and plugs went straight back in.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
yeah total bummer, I went on the MK5 GTI forum and noticed some correspondence between TFSI Mike, maybe DanGB and someone else from here talking about water in cylinder 4? Hmm... I have no bonnet lining on mine... wonder if it's contributing to the water getting in? Surely this is a leon or tfsi engine design fault? The bonnet lining isn't there to soak up water so it doesn't go into your coilpacks!!!!????

Have you replaced your clips that hold the black plastice trim on the top of the bulkhead?

there is a fix for this , and i believe they have seals in them now which stops the water from going back into the engine bay.
I had mine replaced when i constantly kept getting mouldy sound deadening under the bonet.
Dave from Sere motors will sort you out mate ;)

This is why I keep my Bonnet Lining on... I did remove it before but it did cause water to do into cylinder port 1 and basically killed my coil pack aswell at the same time. (It was removed for about a week until I started seeing issues.)

It could be a leak from the washer jets (seals?) or the seals on the plastic panel?

Anyways back to subject is your car back on the road or are you still having issues? when I had water in the cylinder I was a bit shocked but had some advice from Dan and soaked up water with cloth and plugs went straight back in.

Well a mate works in the parts section of a dealers so I got some plugs cheap so got the 4 of them yesterday to put in.. that's when I came across the water. As it stands a chamois is wedged in the port in an attempt to soak up the water before I remove the plugs. I don't know how that coil pack will have coped yet. But it was bloody wet when I pulled it out and rusty! So tonight when I'm home I shall see how the cloth has done. Will inspect old plugs, put in new plugs and then try it out... if that fails I'll test the coil packs again as I washed the car at the weekend and I reckon this is new water that is in cylinder 4... afterall it was 3 causing me an issue prior to this!

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Theres more to it than just the clips. There are also various drain holes that you would need to cover. I have changed the clips and covered all the holes. I also have my engine cover still on though.

I think people would be surprised by the amount of water that gets held under the plastic.

Last edited:

truant2000

Oct 24, 2008
Hi, sorry took so long to reply.

The problem I had was in cylinder 4 but stupidly the coil in 1 was rusty and the chamber it sits in was really wet and full of rusty water and the coil in cylinder 4 was bone dry and shiny chrome finish.

I soacked up all the water with a rag and cleaned up the coil, but the problem was still there, so I then replaced the coil which still didn't work and then replaced all the plugs again with no luck.

The plug in cylinder 1 was the worst looking as it had been submerged in water from the top, and the others looked ok, but still had the problem. Only sorted it after running VAG-COM and finding cylinder 4 was the culprit and just swapped 4 for the new coil and put the original back in 1 and problem sorted.

Also I seem to have the mouldy bonet lining as well but mines an Altea anyone know what the cause could be?

Guys! thanks very much for your help! I have now sorted it. I have replaced all 4 spark plugs with new revised ones and also put in 4 new ignition coils. Run tests under load and have no missfires whatsoever! I'd go as far as to say it's now the best it has EVER been!

So thanks for the feedback guys one again you've been great!

Now to get myself to a meet or two befor I sell her :( hating the 1.3cdti corsa!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Guys! thanks very much for your help! I have now sorted it. I have replaced all 4 spark plugs with new revised ones and also put in 4 new ignition coils. Run tests under load and have no missfires whatsoever! I'd go as far as to say it's now the best it has EVER been!

Now to get myself to a meet or two befor I sell her :( hating the 1.3cdti corsa!

glad its sorted mate :)

cant comment on the corsa :(

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net

nicely done glad we can help ;) did you get the audi coil packs after the scene red ones ?