"NEW" Seat Ibiza FR order - INFO Please

BHeart

Hi

I ordered a New SEAT IBIZA FR in Track Grey with the Bluetooth option yesterday morning and I've just joined the forums to get some info asap.

Ok, as stated we ordered the Ibiza yesterday morning and the salesman told us that the car would be built for us and that it would be around 12 weeks.

He then told us that he would order the car this morning and then call to confirm this. He did call but had some information that we were not expecting.

Apparently whilst ordering, he had found that a car matching our requirements was at the port and that it had been ordered for 'stock' for another dealer that he could get it if we wished.

My concern is that he should have known already if a car was available. Also, how can we be sure that this car has not been sitting around in a compound for weeks or maybe months? Or pehaps it was rejected by another customer?

Is there anything that we can ask, or do, to get details of the car like when it was built?

When you buy a Ford or Vauxhall, the progress of the car can be checked using the SONO number which the dealer gives you. Do Seat have anything like this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, BHeart

Last edited by a moderator:

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
i can tell you now I work in this industry and people cancel orders all the time and play games, but it is unlikely the car would have sat in the port any longer than yours would have.

It is also unlikely dealers know about the refused cars as the dealer that ordered it will just get it as a demonstraiter. Only SEAT HQ will know what cars are in which ports, there is no central log that all dealers can look at. The best thing you can do is ask the dealer to bring it in take a look around it and see if you like it. After all if all you are worried about is its sitting about a quick check of the paintwork should apease you :)

BHeart

Hi Nutkin

Thanks for your response.

We are undecided on what to do but, we could jsut say no and then wait for the car that should be being built for us.

The salesman said that if we wanted it, we would have to go in and complete the paperwork but, we have already given a £500 deposit we are certainly not going to complete any paperwork until we have seen and been given details of the car.

BHeart

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Could ask if its been registered yet, if its not then it eliminates the rejected option, if it is then you're in the same position.
Though if its at port its unlikely to be a reject as it'd be at a dealers if it was?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Deleted member 56597

If its exactly the same car you could offer to have it for a slightly lower price, im guessing it would save the dealer hassle. If not i'd wait for a brand new one to be built just for peace of mind.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Could ask if its been registered yet, if its not then it eliminates the rejected option, if it is then you're in the same position.
Though if its at port its unlikely to be a reject as it'd be at a dealers if it was?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

If its in the port it wont have passed customs yet let alone be registered.

People order cars then find ones theyd prefer and cancel the order, if the cars on the production line then it runs through anyway.

Also garages will soemtimes order one or 2 with a popular spec in the hope someone comes to buy them and they can shift it on quickly turning around stock, if noone buys it then they have a nice car for the showroom.

Id also see what the spec is as its unlikely to be exactly your spec you might find you get a few extras thrown in for free this way. My mum got her 3.2 audi like this and it came with a nicer set of alloys which were a 500 quid option or some thing and it had the BOSE speakers all chucked in for free.

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
Yeah the whole thing sounds fine to me doesnt sound dodgey. I think the dealer is just trying to get the car quicker for you (he will get his money quicker too, so a win win situation as far as hes concerned).

I got the same with my first mk5 ibiza 1.4 (now have fr tdi). got the car in 2 weeks as apposed to 12 weeks and got bluetooth thrown in for free. The car will still be in its protective packaging and wont be registered if its still at the port.

If I were you and the spec of that car is the same (or close enough) to the car your after I would definately go for it :)

Theowls88

Feb 17, 2011
Doncaster
So you order a new FR and told it will take 12 weeks to arrive. The stealer sorts your order out Monday morning (as SEAT is shut over the weekend) and he is told that a car of the same spec is at port and can be yours within two weeks. Is it me or is there not a problem here?:confused:

Just no pleasing some people!:shrug:

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
My SC was from stock at the port, didn't have all the options I had spec'd but I was more than happy to get it 10 weeks earlier than a build version. Mine was not registered.

The_Loony

Sep 19, 2010
I ordered mine from the port but I had the Yellow one :lol: Had the spec I wanted at a price I could not refuse.

rji

Dec 18, 2010
BHeart,

Ask your dealer for the VIN number. Telephone Seat Customer Care and ask for its details. They will be able to tell you when it was built and list all details about its standard equipment and all factory fitted options. Make sure it has everything you are expecting and as Nutkin said it might have more options than you specified.

If the details check out (I'm sure they will) arrange to examine the car as soon as it arrives at the dealership, even before they have prepared it, just to make sure you're happy with it. We didn't sign the finance agreement until we had seen the car.

You didn't say which port it's in. If it's still in Spain you can track the ship they put it on. Pester the dealer to keep you informed about its location.

We bought ours in Nov 2010. We could not make a factory order so we were limited to what was available. The one we chose had been ordered by another dealer. It had actually been built 5 days before and it was still in Spain. It was too late to divert it to Port of Tyne and it arrived in Sheerness 14 days after it was built. Then took another 7 days to be transported to our dealer.

We had to pay for some options that we didn't want just to get the ones that we did want. When it arrived it had a factory fitted Convenience Pack. If the Convenienct Pack had been in its list of options we would have had to pay for that as well. But even the dealer didn't know it had one so it was free.

BHeart

BHeart,

Ask your dealer for the VIN number. Telephone Seat Customer Care and ask for its details. They will be able to tell you when it was built and list all details about its standard equipment and all factory fitted options. Make sure it has everything you are expecting and as Nutkin said it might have more options than you specified.

If the details check out (I'm sure they will) arrange to examine the car as soon as it arrives at the dealership, even before they have prepared it, just to make sure you're happy with it. We didn't sign the finance agreement until we had seen the car.

You didn't say which port it's in. If it's still in Spain you can track the ship they put it on. Pester the dealer to keep you informed about its location.

We bought ours in Nov 2010. We could not make a factory order so we were limited to what was available. The one we chose had been ordered by another dealer. It had actually been built 5 days before and it was still in Spain. It was too late to divert it to Port of Tyne and it arrived in Sheerness 14 days after it was built. Then took another 7 days to be transported to our dealer.

We had to pay for some options that we didn't want just to get the ones that we did want. When it arrived it had a factory fitted Convenience Pack. If the Convenienct Pack had been in its list of options we would have had to pay for that as well. But even the dealer didn't know it had one so it was free.

Hi rji

Many thanks for your response.

With regard to the port, as stated in my first post, the order form for the car was completed last Sunday and when the salesman was placing the order this morning, the system informed him that a Seat Ibiza with our requirements was already at a port in this country. He called us and said that as this car was available, they had to have it and asked if we would like them to get it for us.

We asked what port it was in and were told Newcastle (do they actually get sent there?) and added that it had arrived last Friday. We then asked for details of when it was ordered, built and what the VIN was. The Acceptance Date: 20/12/2010, Production Date@ 07/03/2011, Arrival in UK: 23/03/2011, Call Off: 25/03/2011, Proposed Transpt Ord: 25/03/2011, Actual Transpt Ord: 25/03/2011. The Despatch from UK Port and Arrival at Retailer fields have no dates entered yet.

We have the VIN and Engine Numbers, colour and the only options fitted according to what is shown by their 'photoshop attachment', is combined USB Port + Bluetooth.

They said that we would have to sign the rest of the paperwork but like you, we refused until the car has arrived and we have fully inpected it 'before' they have done anything to it. They reluctantly agreed and said they will try and get the car down by this Thursday so we can check it over and if we accept it, they have have kept a slot open in the workshop for PDI etc and will try and get it ready for the start of April.

I will call Seat Customer Service with the VIN and ask for all info on the car to see if it checks out with what the dealership have already told us and, if so, providing that the car is right, we will give 'probably sign the rest of the paperwork and give them the go ahead.

If you have any further comments,please do not hesitate to post back.

Once again, thanks for your input

BHeart

dellaFR

Oct 16, 2010
Oxfordshire
I don't think you'll have any problem getting the FR that's ready for you, i got the last black FR in my spec from port and was perfect, if anything it's doing you a favour as you don't get the terrible wait that alot of guys on here had to put up with! :)

rji

Dec 18, 2010
BHeart,

I am surprised that your dealer didn't search among the available cars for one that met your requirements. Is your dealer saying that they/you are compelled to accept the one that is already built? If so I think it's only so they get a sale and full payment that much quicker. In our case we couldn't order from the factory because it could not have been built before 31 December when the No VAT offer expired (or so we were told).

The options listed on the dealer screen for our ST Sport were, Metallic Paint, 17” Saga Wheels, Climate Control and Bluetooth & USB. We only wanted Metallic Paint and Climate Control but to get Climate Control we had to choose a car with other options as well. So we had to pay for all of the above. We also wanted a Convenience Pack (rear sensors, auto dimming mirror, etc) but none of the cars had them fitted. But as I said earlier when it arrived it also had the (free) Convenience Pack. And as it turns out I'm pleased it had Bluetooth & USB. And replacement tyres for the 17" wheels are much cheaper than those for the 16".

If you check your VIN with Customer Care they should confirm all standard equipment and options that are actually fitted to your car (specifications can change). Some of the documents for ours did not include the word "Sport" and we wanted to confirm that it was the "Sport" model and not an "SE" with some of the sport options. Customer Care were able to confirm that everything was correct. And our inspection confirmed tints, sport seats etc.

Our dealer said their cars would normally be shipped to Port of Tyne Newcastle but because it had been ordered by a dealer in Avon it had been shipped to Sheerness and had to be transported nearly 300 miles by road for there.

So everything worked out OK for us. Except for the "mistake" in the paperwork early on which would have had us being overcharged if we hadn't been fully aware of all of the prices and because of that and our complaints about the poor service we re-negotiated and got a better deal. And then there's the unbelievably bad fuel consumption from the 1.6 TDI, the most fuel efficient engine ever to come out of VAG - but that's another story...

Shelby

Mar 1, 2011
West London
Sounds like a winner to me. Check the spec, the VIN and all the other things said before. I would imagine you will be driving your car very soon after that!
Mine was similar in that it was already on the build list destined for another dealer, my dealer asked the other dealer if we could have it, they agreed, came to me in about 5 weeks in total. Marvellous.

BHeart

BHeart,

I am surprised that your dealer didn't search among the available cars for one that met your requirements. Is your dealer saying that they/you are compelled to accept the one that is already built? If so I think it's only so they get a sale and full payment that much quicker. In our case we couldn't order from the factory because it could not have been built before 31 December when the No VAT offer expired (or so we were told).

The options listed on the dealer screen for our ST Sport were, Metallic Paint, 17” Saga Wheels, Climate Control and Bluetooth & USB. We only wanted Metallic Paint and Climate Control but to get Climate Control we had to choose a car with other options as well. So we had to pay for all of the above. We also wanted a Convenience Pack (rear sensors, auto dimming mirror, etc) but none of the cars had them fitted. But as I said earlier when it arrived it also had the (free) Convenience Pack. And as it turns out I'm pleased it had Bluetooth & USB. And replacement tyres for the 17" wheels are much cheaper than those for the 16".

If you check your VIN with Customer Care they should confirm all standard equipment and options that are actually fitted to your car (specifications can change). Some of the documents for ours did not include the word "Sport" and we wanted to confirm that it was the "Sport" model and not an "SE" with some of the sport options. Customer Care were able to confirm that everything was correct. And our inspection confirmed tints, sport seats etc.

Our dealer said their cars would normally be shipped to Port of Tyne Newcastle but because it had been ordered by a dealer in Avon it had been shipped to Sheerness and had to be transported nearly 300 miles by road for there.

So everything worked out OK for us. Except for the "mistake" in the paperwork early on which would have had us being overcharged if we hadn't been fully aware of all of the prices and because of that and our complaints about the poor service we re-negotiated and got a better deal. And then there's the unbelievably bad fuel consumption from the 1.6 TDI, the most fuel efficient engine ever to come out of VAG - but that's another story...

Hi rji

Thanks again for your update.

With regard to your comments: I am surprised that your dealer didn't search among the available cars for one that met your requirements. Is your dealer saying that they/you are compelled to accept the one that is already built?

Yes that is basically what we were being told but I disagreed with that and said that we would only accept the car if it was exactly what we had ordered on the Sunday morning.

With reference to the "no VAT offer", we were told that provided we had placed an order from the factory before the end of March and the vehicle was being built for us and wouldtake around 12 weeks, they would still honour the VAT being reduced to 10% on the car - but not the options.

I'm not sure if they did check the cars available for the 'spec' that we wanted and it seemed strange that they suddenly found one last Monday when they went to place the order.

I contacted Seat Customer Care this afternoon and gave them the VIN and they confirmed details such as the VIN, engine number, the model of car/coulour, the build date, where is was built (Martorell),the selling dealership but when I asked for details of the when it was shipped, arrival in the UK and to what port in the UK, I was told they only the selling dealer would have that info and that they (the dealer) would normally update them (Seat)?

They did confirm the options of 'Combined USB +Bluetooth', Radio/Telephone (but I said that this was standard on the FR and was told that it was down as an option?), Aux-in. They also said that the interior colour was Carbon Black/Midnight Black and that this was 'non-standard'?

I read your comments about the confirming ALL 'standard equipment' and options are actually fitted to the car - I just assumed that as it was the Seat SC FR, all standard equipment and options requested, would be fitted? Maybe I should call again and ask for all of that to be confirmed?

That's it for the moment.

BHeart

rji

Dec 18, 2010
BHeart

Regarding the No VAT deal. Last year it was the full amount of VAT and included the options but the deal was ending on 31 December. It would not be honoured after that date and there was no alternative deal to replace it. Effectively this meant that no-one could order a new car until January unless the were prepared to pay full price. This made no sense but that's what we were told. The new deal on VAT starting in January is different and doesn't include the options.

When we chose a car from the list they could not confirm if the Avon dealar would let us have it. They said it was to be their own demonstrator. It was confirmed later by telephone that they would let us have it and our deal was actually completed and deposit paid by telephone. I was not happy about the way it was done and that's when the overcharging "mistake" came to light.

The build date was confirmed by the dealer who was also supposed to keep us informed of shipping details but didn't. So we used the ship tracking sites ourselves. The vehicle equipment details were confirmed by Customer Care.

Were you charged extra for Bluetooth & USB as an option? The February Tech & Spec brochure says it's a £355 option on the FR. I don't know about interior colours.

I mentioned checking standard equipment in case the spec had been changed and to see if it included anything extra for free. There is a thread on here about the alarm, some cars just got an immobiliser and not the alarm. Also one about floor mats, the brochures don't say if you get them as standard. The details for ours say "Without floor mats", but it does have the plain black ones front and back.

Let us know what happens.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members