Calling all Freetrack Owners

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Hi all,

My Wife has a Freetrack and wanted to know what are other freetrack drivers getting for their tank range. She says she gets around 430 before the yellow indicator is on! Also she is worried that the yellow light comes on when there is around 20-30 miles left on the digital mileometer?

When does the light actually come on I own a Altea XL mine comes on between 40-50 miles left in the tank! Hope somebody could shed a light on this

Kinjamin

Dawesy

hi. My diesel does about 360 to be honest before the light comes on. But this is very short and quick journeys to work and to pick up my daughter. Long term ave on computer is 35.5. What sort of trips is your wife doing as that sounds a good result

mike55

May 31, 2010
Freetrack fuel mileage

my diesel one does about 32 MPG when used on short local journeys. On runs on motorways I get about 42 MPG. Towing my 1200KG caravan it averages out at about 27 MPG. I have never worked out the mileage to a tank full as I never let the tank go past 1/4 contents. They get better with miles added. Mine is approaching 20K. Hope this helps

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
hi. My diesel does about 360 to be honest before the light comes on. But this is very short and quick journeys to work and to pick up my daughter. Long term ave on computer is 35.5. What sort of trips is your wife doing as that sounds a good result

My wife does 40 miles avg around 40-60 miles on A17! So lucky with the roads I guess.

When does you yellow warning empty fuel light come on?

Kinjamin

Hampton Caught

No It's These Trousers
Dec 8, 2009
Near Hampton Court
Hi Kinjamin,

The yellow low fuel warning light comes on more quickly in the Freetrack than the standard XL models due to it's slightly thirstier nature. I haven't got the Handbook to hand to confirm the difference in litres but there is one.

Off the top of my head I couldn't say what range I have left in the tank when the warning light comes on, but it's about 1.5 gallons (ish), so can usually eek out 50-60 miles depending on how brave I'm feeling and the type of driving I'm doing.

I'd love to get 430 miles before the light comes on, but then my commute (10 miles) is a mixture of residential roads and dual carriageway. I set myself a target of trying to average over 40mpg over the journey, 41 or more being possible if I'm not in a hurry! My tank range is usually 360-380 miles, but more if I'm on a run.

That said, putting the roof box or bikes on the roof severely impacts the fuel consumption. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but perhaps the 'tear drop' shape is upset more by stuff on the roof than a conventional saloon or estate. Motorway cruising with four bikes = 26 mpg instead of 42 or more :cry:

Cheers, Steve

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Hi Kinjamin,

The yellow low fuel warning light comes on more quickly in the Freetrack than the standard XL models due to it's slightly thirstier nature. I haven't got the Handbook to hand to confirm the difference in litres but there is one.

Off the top of my head I couldn't say what range I have left in the tank when the warning light comes on, but it's about 1.5 gallons (ish), so can usually eek out 50-60 miles depending on how brave I'm feeling and the type of driving I'm doing.

I'd love to get 430 miles before the light comes on, but then my commute (10 miles) is a mixture of residential roads and dual carriageway. I set myself a target of trying to average over 40mpg over the journey, 41 or more being possible if I'm not in a hurry! My tank range is usually 360-380 miles, but more if I'm on a run.

That said, putting the roof box or bikes on the roof severely impacts the fuel consumption. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but perhaps the 'tear drop' shape is upset more by stuff on the roof than a conventional saloon or estate. Motorway cruising with four bikes = 26 mpg instead of 42 or more :cry:

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve, Lots of information. Probably on next service get the people to look at the computer verses the physical contents. I have spoken to the garage and they have asked for the next time to run the fuel to below 50 miles so they can get some readings.

Kinjamin

AjMFreetrack

If I get 320 miles when the light comes it is a good week, I would expect to get around another 30-40 miles, but I never let the tank get that low if I can help it. That is all round town and it is very hilly here.
35mpg averaged out since I bought the car, not to bad for a big 4wd car.

JonTelfer

On the crab
Jan 24, 2007
On my Altea FR 170 tdi I get the reminder 50 miles before empty and that is usually once the tank has done 420-450 - so say 480 miles per tank (just over 50l). If I nurse it and hold around 60-65 on the motorway I could get around 550 miles per tank, though this doesn't happen often.

I reckon you could get it to mis-judge the miles to empty though - say you were driving economically up to there being 51 miles left, then had a weekend of robbing banks, the forecasted economy would be much less and it might give 30 miles rather than 50?

Jon

Alibearb

Over the last 2000 miles and a mixture of every type of road or so I've averaged 29mpg in my petrol Freetrack and think this is pretty good considering what it is and how well it goes. My CR-V did less than this and was a snail by comparison. The trick these days with the high cost of fuel is to do less miles if you can.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.