No MAF readings....something strange

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
A week ago I ran into some problems with my Cupra R. Travelling down motorway and all of a sudden lost power, pulled over to check engine and couldn't see anything obvious. So I called AA people out as it was dark and I couldn't see much under bonnet.

AA guy looked around car and found that if he unplugged the MAF the engine would idle correctly instead of constantly stalling and hunting for revs. Drove home 15-20 miles with MAF unplugged to save me recovery fee's.

So told me MAF had died and needed new one - thought OK, not too bad as I wanted a new MAF soon anyway because my MAF readings were lower than a year ago.

New MAF from GSF (which I can take back as the Bosch box had been opened so he noted I can go back and replace with an unopened MAF)

Car started up fine, set off and still had no power and alot of air noise under bonnet. Noticed my Turbo to DV pipe was split so replaced with new Forge hose. Car running great!!! Lots of boost and feels better with the new(er) MAF.

Cleared faults on ECU with VAGCOM and my traction control light lit up, now everytime I start engine the Traction Control light is constantly on and MAF error keeps coming back.

Started to log block 003 and noticed that I have 0 MAF readings with engine running.

--------------

So.........has anyone else had 0 MAF readings? I don't understand as the car feels mighty quick at moment, also could the traction control light be part of the 0 MAF readings?

I'm puzzled by all this..........

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Traction control will be linked to the MAF fault but never heard of 0 MAF readings.
I take it this has only happened to you recently and not before the current issue?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Yeh, MAF readings were fine a couple weeks ago because I was monitoring them via my bluetooth Android app.

Very odd....

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
No offence but try the simple stuff first - check the cable is plugged in (!) and plugged in all the way - the MAF one is pretty snug and mine takes a bit more effort than I expect to push fully home. Also make sure the pins in the connector aren't damaged (can't remember if the male connector is the cable and female on the MAF, or vice-versa).

Could be damaged cable I guess, if none of the above help.

andycupra

status subject to change
why is it odd? - if its broken and not working then it would supply no reading. - zero.

Or is it odd because its a new maf? - in an already opened box so possibly already used and returned!?

Electrical parts tend to fail very quickly or last a long time. beng new doesnt guarantee it works in my experience.

Traction control light comes on when maf fails. You will have no traction control and i presume the maf readings contribute somehow to the traction control system. Or is deemed a requirement so not to dom something nasty to the engine.

Do you think the original issue was not the mad but instead the cracked pipe? what if you put the old maf back on?

carew

Feb 16, 2008
Birmingham
This sounds similar to a fault that i've got on mine at the moment.

Driving home the other day and the tcs light came on followed by the engine diagnostics light.

Have not check it on vagcom yet so don't know what the readings are. Got a friend plugging it in tomorrow for me.

The only thing that i've noticed is that its running abit lumpy on idle.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
All sorted now, went back to GSF and got a replacement MAF. Car runs sweet, dash lights are cleared and I have MAF readings once again.

Best readings are 202g/s but didn't hit peak rpm so need to re-log.

Thanks for all help peeps.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

carew

Feb 16, 2008
Birmingham
My cars over at the garage this morning. Just spoke to my mechanic and he said the maf has gone on mine aswell.

Hes plugged it into the computer and its showing low voltage bank 1.

How much did you pay for your sensor from gsf?

carew

Feb 16, 2008
Birmingham
Ok just stuck my new maf on this morning thought all had gone well.

Started the engine left it ticking over tcs light came back on. :censored:[:@]:censored:

Any ideas? :help:

I do still have a split rocker cover breather hose but surely that should'nt make a difference?