How good a finish can i get with aerosol?

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
Got my facelift bumper delivered the other day and thought to save some money id, prep it myself, i did so using aerosol primer and wet and drying between coats, BUT.... was thinkin maybe ill get a few aerosols of yellow made up and paint it myself and im still getting quotes of £150+ to paint it, seems no-one likes painting yellow, had one quote of £90 but i have no idea what his works like, so has anyone aerosol'd their own bumpers before and if so did it turn out ok?

Apr 12, 2008
It is possible to get a perfect finish, but it will involve a lot of work, and probably end up costing you £40 odd for materials. Might as well just go for the £90 if i were you.

paul26982

i bought 5 tins of colour match aerosol for my roof liner, cost £57 so id just pay some one if i was you

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
But if he does a shoddy job then ill be stuck with another bill to sort it? do ya think i should ask to see some of his other work?

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
Theres a guy up your way paul who does mobile bodywork, sorted out my aunts rear quarters on her grande scenic for 150quid both sides but shes lost his number.... qfit or sumet hes called :S wanted to use him but cant seem to find contact details for him anywhere.

Apr 12, 2008
If they do a crap job, then tell them they have done a crap job and get them to do it again? Surely no one that has a business painting cars its going to do a worse job than you with some rattle cans.

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
Yeah i suppose your right, Ill take the bumper round tomorrow and see if hell knock a bit off seen as though ive primed it lol (God im a cheapskate)
Dan

Apr 12, 2008
TBH i think that is your mistake right there. Because you have primered it, if the paint reacts, or it comes out with a bad finish they will claim it to be your fault. 90% of paintwork is to do with the prep.

Pyro

I've got a perfect finish from can before resprayed my nova ;) looked mint :D it's possible bit as said takes some work and a good eye ;)

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
Its all been prepped right tho, so if it came out naff in a shop id still complain, it was supplied to me primed but had some storage marks hence me re-prepping it

Pyro

Depends if the primers any good tgo I bought sonecheer stuff once and it made the paint bubble :-o

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyro

Sorry quick typing on my iPhone ;) has been amended

What if who ever primed it before used **** stuff :-o lol

lj03

THE GRIM REAPER
Mar 29, 2011
plymouth
But if he does a shoddy job then ill be stuck with another bill to sort it? do ya think i should ask to see some of his other work?

if you contact one of these scratch repair guys loads in yellow pages etc they will come to you and do a proper job and mix the paint from looking at your car so perfect match as the onvis are a pain to match you shouldnt be paying more than £120 for a bumper to be done..:D

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
ive rang a few of the smart repair firms and they wont do full bumpers, thanksfully a guy from here has pointed a site out to me, ive requested a callback so will see what they say

Skii

Jul 14, 2007
Slough
You can prep yourself with aerosol primer, just make sure you use a lot of wet n' dry and the finish is silky smooth. The colour coat is best left to an expert though.

herb2578

now a cupra owner
Jul 14, 2007
west mids
yellow is a difficult colour to match my mates pineapple mk3 astra has 3 different shades.
prep is the key! but you can over prep;) wet and drying between coats you can actually end up loosing your key so the coats on top could eventually end up peeling/bubbling.
also when using yellow check if the primmer on the rest of the car was grey or white;)