Status
Not open for further replies.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I decided to upgrade my boost controller, so I got a Turbosmart E-Boost Street 40psi, electronic boost controller for more flexibility and adjustability from inside the car. Got lots of features such as overboost shutdown and boost correction factor, plus it's a TON easier to use than the Apexi AVC-R.

eboost3.jpg

eboost1.jpg

eboost2.jpg

Haven't had a chance to fully set it up yet but so far so good.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Well I got the new Turbosmart E-Boost street controller set up today, and I have to say it's an awesome bit of kit! :clap:

I was aiming for 25psi (1.75 BAR - BDM told me to keep the boost under 1.8 BAR, 1.75 BAR is also right in the turbos efficiency range), so after a few runs and adjusting the duty cycle up I achieved the target boost of 25psi, wastegate pressure set to 22psi. I got a slight spike up to 25.7psi, so I reduced the sensitivity from 20 down to 17 and that got rid of the spike. I set up the boost correction for between 5000 to 7000rpm at 12% and now it spools quickly to 25psi and holds it perfectly with no drop off at all to 7000rpm! I set up the overboost protection to 27psi so if it does spike or overboost for any reason it will protect the engine.

Overall I am VERY impressed with the Turbosmart E-Boost Street controller, far far superior to the Forge UNOS and WAY easier to use than my previous Apexi AVC-R. :thumbup:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I was getting a light rattle and vibration from under the car, which sounded to me like the heatshield rattling off the exhaust. So I jacked the car up and I was right! 5 of the round grip clips that hold the heatshield had corroded and rusted away, leaving the heatshield flapping around. I had ordered a new pack of 10 clips from Sere a while ago, so I set about replacing them all, easy enough job, I tapped them on with a small pin hammer to make sure they were all on tight. Believe it or not I found one of them was actually a washer and a cable tie ... nice work from a 'tuner' eh!

washers1.jpg

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Well I got the new Turbosmart E-Boost street controller set up today, and I have to say it's an awesome bit of kit! :clap:

I was aiming for 25psi (1.75 BAR - BDM told me to keep the boost under 1.8 BAR, 1.75 BAR is also right in the turbos efficiency range), so after a few runs and adjusting the duty cycle up I achieved the target boost of 25psi, wastegate pressure set to 22psi. I got a slight spike up to 25.7psi, so I reduced the sensitivity from 20 down to 17 and that got rid of the spike. I set up the boost correction for between 5000 to 7000rpm at 12% and now it spools quickly to 25psi and holds it perfectly with no drop off at all to 7000rpm! I set up the overboost protection to 27psi so if it does spike or overboost for any reason it will protect the engine.

Overall I am VERY impressed with the Turbosmart E-Boost Street controller, far far superior to the Forge UNOS and WAY easier to use than my previous Apexi AVC-R. :thumbup:

did you say your wastegate pressure is 22psi?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yeah, the instructions say to set the wastegate pressure 3psi below the target boost, which is 25psi on mine. If it spikes reduce it. Mine spiked to 25.7psi so I reduced the wastegate pressure to 21.5psi and that cured it. Now it spools quickly up to 25psi and just holds it for as far as I dare rev it! :D

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I was getting a light rattle and vibration from under the car, which sounded to me like the heatshield rattling off the exhaust. So I jacked the car up and I was right! 5 of the round grip clips that hold the heatshield had corroded and rusted away, leaving the heatshield flapping around. I had ordered a new pack of 10 clips from Sere a while ago, so I set about replacing them all, easy enough job, I tapped them on with a small pin hammer to make sure they were all on tight. Believe it or not I found one of them was actually a washer and a cable tie ... nice work from a 'tuner' eh!

washers1.jpg
Star 'performance' strikes again!!

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh

washers1.jpg

You can also use a flat head screwdriver in one of the outer slots to turn them onto the threaded studs on the car :)

Total pain when you find most of them corroded away to nothing and the heatshield lying on top of the cat lol :doh:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Yeah, the instructions say to set the wastegate pressure 3psi below the target boost, which is 25psi on mine. If it spikes reduce it. Mine spiked to 25.7psi so I reduced the wastegate pressure to 21.5psi and that cured it. Now it spools quickly up to 25psi and just holds it for as far as I dare rev it! :D

actuator pressure is 22psi then........ why so high?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
You can also use a flat head screwdriver in one of the outer slots to turn them onto the threaded studs on the car :)

Total pain when you find most of them corroded away to nothing and the heatshield lying on top of the cat lol :doh:

Yeah mine was the same, the heatshield was flapping about banging off the exhaust, I replace 6 of them in total, all is quiet again with no vibration or rattling now.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland

Rob, this does away with the N75 right? if so i am guessing it just keeps the waste gate shut at higher rpm to create more boost, is this device just working the turbo harder or were your duty cycles maxed on the previous setup even though your boost was decreasing at higher RPM.

I guess, my boost tails off after 5.5rpm even though the duty cycles for the N75 are 95%, i assumed the turbo was maxed, it probably is, i would be interested in this device only if it is offering better wastegate control(and over boost) rather than just working the turbo harder.

Cheers

Robbie

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yes, no N75 (haven't used an N75 for years!). From what I understand - it holds the wastegate shut to bring boost on fast, then controls the pressure via the solenoid. It doesn't create more boost, just makes the most of what pressure you set it to. No I don't believe it works the turbo any harder, just uses the pressure more efficiently. This device should be able to compensate for boost dropping off on your car yes.

Turbosmart have some videos which show you setting up the e-boost 2, same thing goes for the e-boost street:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTWCbjL2M8c&feature=player_embedded

Boost correction is covered towards the end of the video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members