Car Issue.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Well the thread title isnt probably 100% accurate as there isnt really an issue, Im just not happy with it.

More precisely I am not happy with the like the handling of it. Best way to describe it is that it isnt balanced somehow. Even when going in a straight line it sometimes doesnt feel right.

Ive checked tyre pressures and they are ok, no leaking coilovers and the wheel bolts are tight. Tyres have loads of tread left on them.

Any suggestions for stuff I should maybe look at??

Cheers,

Craig.

CRAIGHUTCH

Floppy member
Aug 31, 2010
co. durham
Well the thread title isnt probably 100% accurate as there isnt really an issue, Im just not happy with it.

More precisely I am not happy with the like the handling of it. Best way to describe it is that it isnt balanced somehow. Even when going in a straight line it sometimes doesnt feel right.

Ive checked tyre pressures and they are ok, no leaking coilovers and the wheel bolts are tight. Tyres have loads of tread left on them.

Any suggestions for stuff I should maybe look at??

Cheers,

Craig.

look for a squashed pensioner curled up in your wheel arch, failing that check balancing, tracking, even brakes.....

dunc_b

Check bottom arm bushes, strut top mounts, ball joints, track rod ends, anti roll bar drop links and bushes. Without knowing exactly what the car is doing it's hard to say really.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I know exactly what you're talking about and on this particular occasion it's my steering rack that's fooked. Also worth checking the rear axle bushes too.:)

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
yep i agree and feels a bit skitty on motorway runs strangely but that may be me and my ability to lose concentration as fook all to look at...i did have an advisory on my mot about a rear bearing but that's only recent :shrug: my spacers are off at the mo as well cos ones fooked and i don't think she handles any worse for it.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Im going to give all the bushes on the wishbones etc all a check over at some point over the weekend.

Camber is ok, I have it set alittle more negative etc with my car being lowered but nothing stupid. But it is looking like its the steering rack. :(.

Could it affect the brakes aswell?? As sometimes when using the brakes you get a feeling as if the discs are warped, but other times they are ok.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Check the tie rods because you can buy them on there own for most vag cars, I already replaced one on mine but some twat damaged the new boot so dirty water got in and killed the actual rack.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Check the tie rods because you can buy them on there own for most vag cars, I already replaced one on mine but some twat damaged the new boot so dirty water got in and killed the actual rack.

Just had new tie rods and ends fitted before xmas so I would doubt if it is that.

Will check everything over at some point this weekend but its all pointing to the steering rack :(. Unless it is just the bush part of it.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Sit in your car and try and push and pull the steering wheel away and towards you. If it moves about take the plastic cover off from around the column and theres an allen headed bolt in there which you need to tighten. Doing this made my steering feel loads better.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Sit in your car and try and push and pull the steering wheel away and towards you. If it moves about take the plastic cover off from around the column and theres an allen headed bolt in there which you need to tighten. Doing this made my steering feel loads better.

Think I will give this a try and see if it makes any difference. Do you just tighten the bolt up fully?

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
ive just picked up a mk3 cupra steering rack with decent rods for £35 posted and put it on a couple of weeks ago. had to drop the subframe to do it and can confirm that both racks are identical!

Ross16V

Have you replaced the strut tops recently? They tend to wear and can make the handling feel a bit rougher?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.