Which gearbox to use for 450bhp 4wd ?

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I'm currently building a 4wd leon and i need to buy a gearbox for the 4wd conversion....and i have a couple of questions.

Does anybody know if tdi gearboxes fit the 1.8t blocks ? The reason im thinking of this is purely down to the higher ratio's that tdi's normally have.

I don't want to build a engine with a power band of say 4000 - 7500rpm and then put a gearbox in that when i change gear the rpms go from 7500rpm to 6000rpm it seems like wasted power.

Anybody have any graphs on rpm - engine speeds for different gearboxes or have a clue / formula on how to work out what a the ratios mean ?

Thanks,
Graham.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
A low mileage audi tt box is more than capable of handling that power mate:)

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
You would just have to find a tdi box from a rare quattro tdi if you went down that route. Or just get a 6spd from a TT/R32 etc. You can always swap the gears inside from a FWD tdi box into the quattro box.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
I have a spare PD140 BKD quattro box in my garage don`t know if it fits a 1.8t as never worked on them. With R32`s they swop the gear ratios from a diesel 02M box over which is what has been done to my R32 box. You then have a much stronger box plus my R32 now does 190 mph +.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I have a spare PD140 BKD quattro box in my garage don`t know if it fits a 1.8t as never worked on them. With R32`s they swop the gear ratios from a diesel 02M box over which is what has been done to my R32 box. You then have a much stronger box plus my R32 now does 190 mph +.

Wow 190mph, thats quick. Best i've seen was 175 in my old 911 it was still pulling well but i bottled it !
I think that the BKD is a 02M gearbox isn't it ? I think that TT quattro boxes are also 02M so the casings should be the same, it should fit ok. Did your r32 gearset come from a BKD ?

Are you looking to sell it mate ? Obviously not on here tho.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
PD140 BKD gearbox is 02Q the 1.9 PD 130/150/160 gearbox was 02M but you will never find a quattro box as they where only sold in Europe and in very low numbers. Best bet would be to get a 02M gearbox and swop the gear ratios over. I am sure i have a 02M gearbox laying around as i was going to convert a spare R32 gearbox i have. Yes i know i have lots of gearboxes, i also have spare engines,running gear etc etc. You can never have to many spares.:D

steevie wonder

The silver bullet
Apr 20, 2007
Midlands
I have a diesel 02M box in my Octavia, it can be a pain at times as with my gt30 it's a bit laggy.... But when the turbo is on song 3500+ my god it is great!

Standard 02J speeds (on a standard car 7K limiter) were:
1st=43mph
2nd=75mph
3rd=105mph
4th=136mph
5th=147mph

Compared to tdi 02M
1st=55mph
2nd=85mph
3rd=125mph
4th=155mph
5th=180mph
6th=180+ mph

Well worth doing, however you do have to learn how to drive the car again.....

Steve

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Thanks for the info steve, ive sorced a standard tt quattro box for £100 plus my 2wd box so quite happy with that for now.
Is your 02m gearbox a 4wd model ? Do you happen to know the gearbox code ?

I might stick with the standard tt gearbox for now and look to change the gearing in the future.
Thanks Again,
Graham.

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
It would fit, but you will need to use and fab up a different engine mounts and make some driveshafts. It's also quite a lot heavier.

pinotattt

Oct 6, 2009
Malta
Destroyed TT box- options

Havn't written much here but have been following the Big Turbo Discussion religiously for some time now.

The car's a TT with stoker kit/ internals and Owens GT 30.

She slipped out of 4th gear when boost came in and stripped main shaft and a couple of teeth off a gear, picture link in my profile ;)

Not indestructable after all althought I run the car in hillclimbs and the occasional track day. This is a rebuilt box which was cryo treated 2 years and 10k miles ago:cry:

Was lucky to find direct repacement and was thinking about preparing one with the rest of the box.

Quiz time:help:

Which TDI gears are best suited for this application?
Are the bearing also taper type?
Is there a roller or ball bearing type gear kit with closer ratios?

From what I have been reading on VAG forums the main issues apart from the bearings are the rivets on the forks and differential housing so will replace these when we rebuild this box.

Any suggestions would be appeciated;)

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise