Kia match for cupra performance

Al

Aug 29, 2005
What sort of power will the next Cupra have?

They will be playing catch up again.

I would argue that (powerwise at least) the competitors are still playing catch up with the Leon Cupra now to be honest even in its 5th year.

My 2010 car made 261bhp bone stock as do most of the others when standard. By my calculations thats more than most 2.0 Turbo hot hatch available anywhere today.

Quite like the car in the first post. Would be interesting to see how much/fast etc it is.

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish

Deleted member 58019

Nice looking car for certain but those wheels....... cheap halfords reps, not nice!

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
So glad the first comment regarding this was positive.......................I really though I was gonna have the sh*t ripped out of me for liking the look of a Kia!!!!!!!

watch out for flaming paper bags full of excrement on your doorstep Mike :D :lol:

Bonzy1800

Back in a SEAT
Sep 16, 2005
jersey
well i work for KIA and SEAT and KIAs are flying out the door and SEATs well there not doing so good
c'eed 1.6 turbo is just what KIA are missing really, a fast turbo motor
We had a KIA rep come see us a year or so ago and asked the question will KIA make a turbo or a fast
gti ceed? i said thats all KIA are missing
New sportage is stunning with a 7 year warranty cant go wrong and the price bargain

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
the top article says 1.6 gdi , now not trying to state the obvious but in the far eastern regions of the planet doesnt gdi indicate its a diesel?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I would argue that (powerwise at least) the competitors are still playing catch up with the Leon Cupra now to be honest even in its 5th year.

My 2010 car made 261bhp bone stock as do most of the others when standard. By my calculations thats more than most 2.0 Turbo hot hatch available anywhere today.

Quite like the car in the first post. Would be interesting to see how much/fast etc it is.

but to be fair Al the 2.0 tfsi and variants were born from the 1.8t 20v , so in that respect yes they are catching up , but vag needs to be very carefull , a lot of other manufactuers are down sizing their engines and will soon be leading the pack , isnt the new vxr a 1.8t? and quoted figures sugest 300 bhp?
i know vag has the 1.4 turbo / supercharged engine with groundbreaking technology but read the ibiza forums or sciroco forums to see how many people have problems , i also know this will be shelved in favour of a 1.6 t lump but they may have lost a lot of customers by then.

Jan 31, 2011
ipswich/banbury
1 reason for binning the twincharger lump is because so much R and R has been put into small capacity turbo engines that there is no longer a need to have a twincharger lump(also the extra complexity and cost doesnt help) direct injection,new turbo technology etc now can bridge the gap were the supercharger is used at the moment.

Poverty

are cupra owners going to swap theirs for hot kias? I doubt it, not unless they blow vags out of the water.

Poverty

The next vag 2.0TFSI will be 300hp with tiny emissions, hell my TTRS emissions and MPG is basically the same as the 2.0TFSI for example. VAG are still pioneers in FI's engines.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
but to be fair Al the 2.0 tfsi and variants were born from the 1.8t 20v , so in that respect yes they are catching up , but vag needs to be very carefull , a lot of other manufactuers are down sizing their engines and will soon be leading the pack , isnt the new vxr a 1.8t? and quoted figures sugest 300 bhp?
i know vag has the 1.4 turbo / supercharged engine with groundbreaking technology but read the ibiza forums or sciroco forums to see how many people have problems , i also know this will be shelved in favour of a 1.6 t lump but they may have lost a lot of customers by then.

The 2.0FSi block is similar to the old 1.8 20v block, but the bottom and top ends are different Rob. The technology Ford and Vauxhall are beginning to employ is what VAG have had for years and years now.

Not sure that downsizing is the immediate way forward for all either. Pretty sure the forthcoming Ashtray VXR is a 2.0T, the new Focus ST is a 2.0T (sure its smaller than 2.5, but then the 2.5 was heavy and slower than its competition anyway).

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
well i work for KIA and SEAT and KIAs are flying out the door and SEATs well there not doing so good
c'eed 1.6 turbo is just what KIA are missing really, a fast turbo motor
We had a KIA rep come see us a year or so ago and asked the question will KIA make a turbo or a fast
gti ceed? i said thats all KIA are missing
New sportage is stunning with a 7 year warranty cant go wrong and the price bargain

SEAT are doing quite well still though. In April Kia sold 3641 and SEAT 2536 and year to date Kia 18311 and SEAT 13007. Kia outsold Skoda who are doing well at 3482 for April but still behind VW and Audi at 15807 and 9318.

Kia is deffinatley on the rise with a good product range.

Deleted member 58019

Very interesting stuff from so obviously knowledgeable people but I wont be changing my CupraR for a Kia any time soon..... might get the misses one tho!!

LeonFR07DSG

Aug 15, 2008
Hertfordshire
Well it says it's gunning for the Golf GTI, which uses a K03 turbo with 210bhp, the Cupra uses k04 with 240bhp, I don't think, unless it's a hell of a lot lighter, it'll stand a chance.

Dont think the new Golf GTi TSi engines use KO3's ... think they use a smaller turbo that you usually find in Subarus... could be wrong...

The Ceed looks quite nice... willing to wait and see and give it a go before judging. I cant see the quality being as high... but if its good enough with a decent selling price it will do well for itself.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
The 2.0FSi block is similar to the old 1.8 20v block, but the bottom and top ends are different Rob. The technology Ford and Vauxhall are beginning to employ is what VAG have had for years and years now.

Not sure that downsizing is the immediate way forward for all either. Pretty sure the forthcoming Ashtray VXR is a 2.0T, the new Focus ST is a 2.0T (sure its smaller than 2.5, but then the 2.5 was heavy and slower than its competition anyway).

The tops are only different for emmisions though Al
the new ST does indeed use the 2.0t engine , infact the new ST package looks very promising.

Dont think the new Golf GTi TSi engines use KO3's ... think they use a smaller turbo that you usually find in Subarus... could be wrong...

youre not wrong it uses the ihi turbo
thats why they map really well ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise