New Cupra R or 2nd Hand Focus RS

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
You almost have to give up any aspirations for mpg when you get these cars. They're much better than the predecessors of 20 years ago for cars that would have offered 300bhp (probably all single digit MPG's back in the early 90's for this level of performance).
One of the reasons I stuck with my slow deisel for such a long time. Its 240bhp and if I stick to 60mph I get 60mpg on the computer quite easily. Driving it at normal motorway speeds i.e. 70 I still get 55mpg on the computer. Thats not bad going for a car with 240bhp and 380lb/ft of torque.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
One of the reasons I stuck with my slow deisel for such a long time. Its 240bhp and if I stick to 60mph I get 60mpg on the computer quite easily. Driving it at normal motorway speeds i.e. 70 I still get 55mpg on the computer. Thats not bad going for a car with 240bhp and 380lb/ft of torque.

I see the appeal, I really do, I just love having an engine which can rev. The diesel makes sense on almost every level, but having spent some time in an Audi A3 TDi170 recently I just can't warm to the way it drives. Plus I love the sound of the petrol with a decatted TBE, but 5 cylinders would be nice.

Jan 31, 2011
ipswich/banbury
audi 3ltr tdis sound awesome with a decent set of pipes. I cant go onto youtube on my *cough* works computer but have a quick search and its the closest to petrol sounding ive heard on a diesel. Really fancying a 3 ltr diesel A5 sportback for my next car now. I need a diesel as ive only had my Leon for 4months and ive already done 11k.averaging 28-30mpg would bankrupt me lol.

Ben huxtable

Apr 26, 2011
Cardiff
I just see the bad side of diesels in work when get some miles on em! Costly, only potential thing that goes on petrol is intake manifolds.

manhota

Apr 21, 2010
west mids wolves area
Yes deisel is a good bet atm, but give it 5 to 10 years all of are cars will be obsolete, 5 to 10 pound a litre anyone? Mothball the cars in a garage then sell them in 40 years time as a vintage. u might get a decent return. Well u will on a rs.......

Mar 13, 2011
You two guys must be doing something wrong with your 2.0tfsi's cause I get better MPG than that in my Titty Arse!

I was a bit disappointed with the fuel consumption for over the first 1k miles or so. Getting a bit better now theres a few more miles on it, though I can't see it ever hitting the claimed 35mpg combined figure. Trip average on the computer is about 31mpg for a mixed motorway / A road run and overall average since new is 28.5mpg. Can't complain at that for the perfomance on offer (I know 240ps is tame to you mapped and modded chaps, but I'm still liking it).

warren_cox

Back from the dead
audi 3ltr tdis sound awesome with a decent set of pipes. I cant go onto youtube on my *cough* works computer but have a quick search and its the closest to petrol sounding ive heard on a diesel. Really fancying a 3 ltr diesel A5 sportback for my next car now. I need a diesel as ive only had my Leon for 4months and ive already done 11k.averaging 28-30mpg would bankrupt me lol.

New Audi A6 3.0TDi claims 0-60mph in 5.4seconds and 308bhp (latest lauch version).

For an OEM car that's just fookin' immense. Imagine it mapped. Bonkers.

Expect to pay £40k new, but in 2-3 years they'll be about for mid £10k's.

Jan 31, 2011
ipswich/banbury
New Audi A6 3.0TDi claims 0-60mph in 5.4seconds and 308bhp (latest lauch version).

For an OEM car that's just fookin' immense. Imagine it mapped. Bonkers.

Expect to pay £40k new, but in 2-3 years they'll be about for mid £10k's.

Yeah looks impressive and its running a bonkers 3.2 bar of boost suposidly and an 8 spd auto so it shouldnt be too bad on fuel.probs high 30s to pos 40mpg i reckon.

LOU ROB

Jul 22, 2007
Anglesey
My Cupra R does an average of 35mpg, thats a mixture of commuting (wife) and B road blasts (me).

And to add, there is nothing in performane diffrence between the Cupra R and the FRS in standard guise. Both fantastic cars.

Last edited:

OldNick

Apr 13, 2005
Just looked at my average over all on way in to work 26.8 which ain't to bad knowing my right foot.

Thats pretty much what I get as an average on a tank. My trip to work is 10 miles each way plus I do a bit of driving at the week end. I average about 700 miles a month.

Nik

renegade_si

definitely get the diesel FR and forget the RS! Seriously in terms of holiding its value, tax and fuel saving alone, I reckon its worth £500+/yr!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise