m0rk's 2011 Leon Copa

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
I've been looking at the Copa had a quick spin and sure seems pretty good but anyone spent any real time with one in different conditions urban motorway etc
If I had one would be doing 30k miles a year and a short test drive isn't really enough to get a good feel for it also what's it like when you've just spent 5 hours in it as the Insgnia SRI I have at the moment murders your back after a while

Thinking white Copa 17" wheel upgrade Zenons and Leather :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Well, we just drove to Devon & back yesterday; which was a little over 5 1/2 hrs total & about 280 miles.

The ride comfort is bob on. Rough road surfaces passed without notice, the engine revs were low & it was a nice quiet run. It did corners well (really well).

The adjustable lumbar support helped vary my seating position. The economy was not quite what I'd hoped, but then it's not run in at all (400 miles on the clock now) and the wind was severe.

All of which bodes well for 2 weeks time when it'll cross France.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
]

All of which bodes well for 2 weeks time when it'll cross France.

Bloody hell, do you guys do any work ;-)

Glad you're enjoying it. Sounds like the standard SEAT suspension is a real jewel in the crown of the ownership experience.

Due to cost cutting and the recession leccy lumbar has been descoped from our new car along with adaptive lights :cry:, so to have it on the Leon is bloody good spec. It's the recession you know :D

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Trying to avoid all work :) Will call you in the week to explain!

But yes, I'm done with "sports" suspension now. The 'new' Leon with soft suspension is comfy, and handles totally acceptably for a FWD hatch, manages roll well etc.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The sat nav drove us to the door of our holiday place in the south of France and was more accurate than the Tom Tom

Because it doesn't have postcode searches you do need to know where you're going

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Well it's three weeks old and has 2500 miles on it already, no problems at all and comfortable cruising at high French motorway speeds for hours on end.

Mpg is crap though, despite the seven gears at 140kmh it's still at 2500rpm so have only really returned 45mpg. Ive more time to drive sedately tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what it gets

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
You probably need more miles on it mork and a more laid back driving style to get good mpg. It will be the same with the petrol 1.2 tsi I have ordered too I would imagine

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Most likely, but with 600 mile drives in a day, it is a cost worth paying. It's been more acceptable at 90kmh hitting 60+mpg once warmed up

Nice car! I sometimes miss my DSG but I kinda lost confidence in it when mine started misbehaving. No doubt it's great for easy driving though. I like black too - my Golf mk4 was metallic black and looked the business when properly clean.

Economy-wise, I think you'll see it continue to improve for a long while yet. I'm getting about 65mpg tank average at the moment (after 25k miles). Some of that will be the aero/gearing tweaks of the Ecomotive and my driving style, but I reckon the 1.6CR is a very nice efficient little engine. I've been impressed with the smooth quietness of it.

I completely agree with your comments re: suspension too. My missus far prefers the handling of my treehugger to that of her A4 Avant, in fact - seems to go round corners better for one thing (despite mine having LRR tyres). Maybe it's not fair to compare an estate to a regular hatch, but the Audi feels lumbering and far too light on the steering: the Leon is better balanced.
And compared to my pre-FL FR, the ride quality of a non-sporty Leon is bliss! :D

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It's not the same as the Ibiza that's for sure....

It's not too bad at constant acceleration, the in gear acceleration is poor though. You need to swap the cogs, so the manual overide is best left alone & let the DSG work out what gear it wants to be in

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.