1.2 Timing Chain DIY

Deleted member 35176

Im so glad ive got the facelift with the update!!! haha not noticed the cooling problem tbh and I've had mine 2 years. I always do a fluid inspection etc when i wash it. Maybe im just lucky lol.

DonniD1991

Big Donni
Mar 6, 2009
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Interesting, the mechanic said that's what it is...

Symptoms are - engine warning light is on, lacks power and does not seem to rev past 3000rpm. Makes a bad noise...

it sounds like a coil pack has gone all the above symptons sound familiar. i would check that first as it is quite common with these engines especially if the chain was changed 46k ago. try and get a vag com in there see what codes come up

andy

Deleted member 35176

what you mean, facelife with the update if you dont made me asking??

The facelift had pretty much a new engine, the pre-facelift had this engine:

1.2 1198 cc inline-3 DOHC 12
47 kW (64 PS)/ 5400
112 Nm/ 3000
AZQ / BME 166 2002–2005

The facelift has this:

51 kW (70 PS)/ 5400
112 Nm/ 3000
BZG 170 2006–2008

All the major components that failed on the pre-facelift where mainly fixed on the facelift except for the bushes and rear washer etc.

The timing chain and tensioner etc were all updated. Just stuff like that. Don't want to put people down thats not what im trying to do here, but its an improved version.

My mate has the AZQ/BME and the internals are totally different. He has metal pipes where as I have silicone etc

mickanyon

My timing chain has just gone... not completely snapped but slipping!

I'm pretty sure the problem's i have with the Ibiza are never ending!

Rayner1990

Feb 11, 2011
Scunthorpe
The facelift had pretty much a new engine, the pre-facelift had this engine:

47 kW (64 PS)/ 5400
112 Nm/ 3000
AZQ / BME 166 2002–2005

The facelift has this:

51 kW (70 PS)/ 5400
112 Nm/ 3000
BZG 170 2006–2008

All the major components that failed on the pre-facelift where mainly fixed on the facelift except for the bushes and rear washer etc.

The timing chain and tensioner etc were all updated. Just stuff like that. Don't want to put people down thats not what im trying to do here, but its an improved version.

My mate has the AZQ/BME and the internals are totally different. He has metal pipes where as I have silicone etc

No worries mate

My Code is AZQ/BME also, ask seat about the timing chain but wont be given a 100% answer and my local seat dealer says i should be ok with my timing chain but not 100%

Gwyn

So I'm going in to look at the chain and tensioner.

I have all the timing tools now (will be for sale in a couple of weeks if anyone else wants them!)
What size is the cranskhaft bolt - seems to be a star type and need to get a new socket....

I'll try and take some pictures for reference.

joestella28

Aug 21, 2010
Would be mega if you could take a load of pictures, make a kind of reference? I may also be interested in your tools when done.

Cheers,

Joe

Gwyn

OK am taking pictures!

What size are the spark plugs? Every car I have ever had has a spark plug socket in its tool kit - these don't seem too and can't believe it! All of my deep sockets are too wide to fit down the hole.. So (as ever with this car) it looks like i need to buy one.

...and anyone got any idea of the crankshaft bolt key size?

Thanks!

Rayner1990

Feb 11, 2011
Scunthorpe
Got car back and everything went well, no comebacks, even a free health check and no faults which was a suprise, last time i went exhuast needed changing, health exhaust good :$

now onto, service and upgrade bushes :D

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Got car back and everything went well, no comebacks, even a free health check and no faults which was a suprise, last time i went exhuast needed changing, health exhaust good :$

now onto, service and upgrade bushes :D

How much did the getting the timing chain done cost you @ the dealers mate (If you don't mind me asking ofc!) :)

Rayner1990

Feb 11, 2011
Scunthorpe
It cost £250 for the work and £16 for hire car mate.

Think the guy gave me a deal dunnp whether or not it was him saying that so he would get my business but it was £135 labour charge, £70 for repair kit, £18 for Sealant, plus Vat.

fandyboy

Im so glad ive got the facelift with the update!!! haha not noticed the cooling problem tbh and I've had mine 2 years. I always do a fluid inspection etc when i wash it. Maybe im just lucky lol.

Pretty sure the tensioner update was pre-facelift. 2004?

I've got 55 plate and the coolant hasn't moved in the last 10 months.

Deleted member 35176

Pretty sure it wasn't, the latter 56 facelift was when the BzG engines were put in and this had the majority of issues fixed!

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
I think the tensioner update was in 2004, but that doesn't mean 04 and 54 plate cars are okay, as it is all about build weeks, not registration dates that will determine if the tensioner was updated or not. And I don't think anybody knows the build weeks of their cars...

To be on the safe side you'd have to get the facelift really to be clear of the tensioner issue.

fandyboy

I think the tensioner update was in 2004, but that doesn't mean 04 and 54 plate cars are okay, as it is all about build weeks, not registration dates that will determine if the tensioner was updated or not. And I don't think anybody knows the build weeks of their cars...

To be on the safe side you'd have to get the facelift really to be clear of the tensioner issue.

What about the 05s and 55s? They almost certainly had the update.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.