New Car decision

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
im sorry mate dont agree the new shape focus which has just been released is light years ahead with standard equipment , even if you compare it to a brand new or nearly new leon.
saftey features have also moved on leaps and bounds the leon is old in the tooth now , better cars out there now.

there was a time the leon was the car to have for the money but things have moved on.

Focus has upped the antee not keen on the looks especailly the fish faced ST :thumbd:

focusst.jpg

Depends on the discount Focus has jumped up in price slightly and will still suffer much steeper depreciation than the Leon. VAG diesel are still slightly more refined and TSi engines slightly better (EA113 can be problematic though as can twin charger 1.4 TSi) although new Ford Ecoboost is mooted to be good in both 1.6 and 2 litre form as lower down the range petrols was the weak area for the focus. 5 Cylinder Volvo engines in the ST and RS being almost bullet proof!!

I drive a MKII FL Focus Estate at work and it is a good car to dive for hours on end and considering the abuse are very reliable.

I would still have the current Leon over the Focus though but then I have not had the same bad experience which would pout me off as it did with Peugeot some years back.

Mind you BMW have just released this picture of the new 1 Series and I was a fan of the old one......

BMW-1Series.jpg

Last edited:

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
im sorry mate dont agree the new shape focus which has just been released is light years ahead with standard equipment , even if you compare it to a brand new or nearly new leon.
saftey features have also moved on leaps and bounds the leon is old in the tooth now , better cars out there now.

there was a time the leon was the car to have for the money but things have moved on.

Indeed I meant a 7-8 month old current focus not a new new one if you see what I mean. What I'm saying is you can't compare the two like for like unless they are both brand new in which case yes the focus is a generation ahead.

5miffy

Jun 3, 2011
Cheers guys,

225 - yes it was the 60 plate down there, it's sold but I could get a look round it.

I looked at quite a few cars, I admit the quality of the Leon isn't the greatest but to get a car with a similar spec, engine etc etc you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more, I looked at the Scirocco, Golf, 1 series, 3 series, Focus, I just couldn't get a decent spec for my money with those other cars.

I think the new focus looks awful but is more advanced in some ways, I even looked at the Octavia VRS TDI, but can't bring myself to buy one....

Do you know when the new spec's will be released? The guys at Seat seemed to think it would be a while as they knew nothing about it and have been told to sell the current models.

Smiffy

5miffy

Jun 3, 2011
Nicklaus, did you buy your Leon new? If so how do you spec it with the Kit on?

Smiffy

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Cheers guys,

225 - yes it was the 60 plate down there, it's sold but I could get a look round it.

I looked at quite a few cars, I admit the quality of the Leon isn't the greatest but to get a car with a similar spec, engine etc etc you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more, I looked at the Scirocco, Golf, 1 series, 3 series, Focus, I just couldn't get a decent spec for my money with those other cars.

I think the new focus looks awful but is more advanced in some ways, I even looked at the Octavia VRS TDI, but can't bring myself to buy one....

Do you know when the new spec's will be released? The guys at Seat seemed to think it would be a while as they knew nothing about it and have been told to sell the current models.

Smiffy

New spec came into force build week 22 (End of May) they had all the details back in March my dealer showed me the paperwork. Can only sell current models if uk stock. All factory orders will now be MY12 spec.

The SEAT uk website is always very slow to update the German site has the new brochure as well as the correct configurator. :confused:

5miffy

Jun 3, 2011
225 - they said I couldn't drive it as it has a gearbox problem, bit of a shame really.. :lol:

Ah ok I'll make sure it is the MY12 spec, what does the MY12 stand for?

Smiffy

Sep 5, 2009
Midlands
Focus has upped the antee not keen on the looks especailly the fish faced ST :thumbd:

focusst.jpg

Depends on the discount Focus has jumped up in price slightly and will still suffer much steeper depreciation than the Leon. VAG diesel are still slightly more refined and TSi engines slightly better (EA113 can be problematic though as can twin charger 1.4 TSi) although new Ford Ecoboost is mooted to be good in both 1.6 and 2 litre form as lower down the range petrols was the weak area for the focus. 5 Cylinder Volvo engines in the ST and RS being almost bullet proof!!

I drive a MKII FL Focus Estate at work and it is a good car to dive for hours on end and considering the abuse are very reliable.

I would still have the current Leon over the Focus though but then I have not had the same bad experience which would pout me off as it did with Peugeot some years back.

Mind you BMW have just released this picture of the new 1 Series and I was a fan of the old one......

BMW-1Series.jpg

The new 2.0L 250 bhp engine in the new ST will be a winner and the interior looks very good too, but the 1 series still don't float my boat. Through each generation cars seem to get bigger, suppose you need the room for all the safety gismos.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
225 - they said I couldn't drive it as it has a gearbox problem, bit of a shame really.. :lol:

Ah ok I'll make sure it is the MY12 spec, what does the MY12 stand for?

Smiffy

It is just Model Year 2012 usually changes week 22 or Mid-late May each year.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
im suprised that you would want to buy a leon , they are getting a bit long in the tooth now , i was in the ford garage the other day looking at the new shape focus and they are leaps ahead of seat on build quality and standard equipment , going to have a serious look at the new st when its released.

new ST is ugly. the Focus MK2 ST is much better :D

5miffy

Jun 3, 2011
I agree there, the Mk2 much better...

Er, 225.... The car was @ Snows yes, looks lovely and a great example... I knew you had an interest after saying "I hope they didn't let me drive it"... they didn't I didn't ask I just looked around it, it was the first Candy white I have seen in the flesh... hence my gearbox comment... and the ":lol:"

sorry if you've had a bit of a worry about it... not intended, just a laugh..

Smiffy

5miffy

Jun 3, 2011
It's in great condition, looks great. I have decided on the white because of the car.....

Are you local then?

Smiffy

FR_Flavoured

I saw a new generation focus parked up yesterday. It looked absolutely mahoosive! Mingin too!

Have you seen the NEW NEW Mini too? :D

The 2011 version has nothing "Mini" about it, its a pretty big car - You only know its the BMW "Mini" as they've kept the similar White Roof / Bug eye lights / lines etc.

Perhaps the trent in new cars again, is bigger is better !

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Have you seen the NEW NEW Mini too? :D

The 2011 version has nothing "Mini" about it, its a pretty big car - You only know its the BMW "Mini" as they've kept the similar White Roof / Bug eye lights / lines etc.

Perhaps the trent in new cars again, is bigger is better !

do you mean that 4x4 thingy they have that is the most pointless car in the UNIVERSE, the type of car only bought by a person that looks at the mini cooper s and says, "you know what i think this car needs to go slower and handle worse", hmmmm....

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.